OES Sliders

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
It isn't Friday and this isn't a "mine is bigger than yours" topic. Just wondering about the length of OES sliders. I noticed the picture on their web site made the sliders look shorter than other sliders I had seen. My search turned up one post someone was replacing their skyway sliders with OES sliders until they noticed the size difference.

Are the OES sliders shorter than what is needed to protect the bike? Looked at the T-REX sliders and they look very long compared to the OES sliders. This may be a case where size does matter regardless what the significant other says.

Any input is appreciated.

TechJunkie

The OES sliders (and many others) protrude 75mm from the surface of the frame (3 inches as listed above). Those T-Rex sliders can be purchased as long muthas, long enough to double as highway pegs, AND long enough to grab some pavement in a heavily-leaned turn.

While the long slider probably does a better job of preserving the tupperware in a parking lot drop, personally I won't risk having anything that long dig into the pavement while I'm leaned over in a turn. Tupperware is still cheaper than skin grafs and body casts.

Even if the exra-long T-Rex sliders won't grab asphalt in a lean, I'm worried about the leverage and force they present to the frame upon impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the OES sliders.

One side is, in fact, shorter than the other, by design.

They do work (see sig - parking lot topple).

I like mine, they blend well with the bike and have remained tight since the day I torqued them into place. :D

OES was the cat's ass for me. Amazing customer service. I had a pair of MOKO sliders for my 2005 and they did not have an equal replacement. I called them up and described what they wanted, mailed them my old sliders (one heavily abraded), and they MADE new ones for me with a turn-around time of less than a week from my post-office back to my mailbox. CALL THEM. They are a pretty small company and seem to be willing to do whatever it takes to make their customers happy. The price was right as well. I'm not at home right now to check, but I believe I paid around $45 for the custom turned sliders.

worldbound4now

Thanks to everyone that replied!

As I thought the OES sliders are not as long as the T-REX. Didn't think I was looking at that wrong. Personally, I like the looks of the looks of the OES sliders. Just wanted to be sure they were long enough to function as designed in a slow speed let down. It happened to me when I was a noob in gravel. Approached the drive way from the wrong direction and froze when I hit very loose gravel (absolute operator error!). The front gave way and I was standing up and the bike took a nap. Not sure how much frame sliders would have helped in gravel but I could see this happening just loosing footing at the wrong time.

Hey does that make me a member of the drop club? Is there an official enrollment form or is simply admitting to a stupid resulting in your bike taking a nap enough?

I believe I will try OES. Doing the advanced training course with a buddy and would like a set of sliders just in case! :thumbsupsmiley:

Hey does that make me a member of the drop club? Is there an official enrollment form or is simply admitting to a stupid resulting in your bike taking a nap enough?
As the President of the Drop Club, I am pleased to inform you that your enrollment and application has been approved. Feel free to add the official Drop Club icon to your signature.

They are shorter than the Skyway sliders, which I still have on, for that reason, (and because I am lazy). ScottyUSN, what are the details on the left side drop? No scratches at all?

I get off the bike intending on putting her up on centerstand. I amost always go to sidestand first. On this occasion I over looked both due to being side tracked in conversation. The FJR hits me square at the knee caps, as result I probably slowed to drop to 1/2 impact speed.

The result was only very minor abrasion to the slider and left bag. Nothing else appeared to touch pavement, but inspection did not occur until I got the FJR correct.

Try calling OES if you think their stock product may be too short. I'm sure they'll gladly add a bit more (1/4 up to a full inch) if you'd like. They are one of a handful of vendors I've dealt with who great flexibility, decent prices, and great support.

P.S. I am in no way affiliated with them other than being a happy customer.