Official 2017 SW-FOG meet-up, Aug 3-6, Loveland, CO

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wore my "Toas" long sleeve to MotoGP two years ago and two different people knew what it was! Still makes me laugh! You're a fukin legend for that boo boo AJ!

Since zilla needs someone to fluff his pillows, maybe I'll stop by...be like curling up with a squishy sailor...
wink.png
You could make money selling tickets for that.
rolleyes.gif
uhoh.gif

well shooty-patooty. I just now called the hotel to make a reservation. Room block is full, and she also said that they are completely booked for that weekend. So it looks like I will be trying for a room at a neighboring hotel...

well shooty-patooty. I just now called the hotel to make a reservation. Room block is full, and she also said that they are completely booked for that weekend. So it looks like I will be trying for a room at a neighboring hotel...
I was just informed that this hotel is booked up now! But the Hampton Inn still has rooms available at $202, so you might want to share room cost with someone else there (970) 593-1400. The hotels share the same parking lot. If you want to cancel at the Fairfield Inn, announce first here if someone would like to take it and the hotel said they would honor the swap at the $129 group rate. I posted this rally/ride March 6th so you had plenty of time to book.

There is a very large concert going on that weekend in Loveland, so Hotel/motel availability is limited.
I must be getting older than I fell because I've never heard of any of these groups. The group that has any resemblance in name only is The Grateful Ball.

philellis123, I bet you're glad you already booked your room.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't even know that was going on. Good to know, it's sorta on the way back from the Walden loop ride but easily avoided so no big deal.

Didn't even know that was going on. Good to know, it's sorta on the way back from the Walden loop ride but easily avoided so no big deal.
Ed, which 2 of the 3 potential rides would you recommend for riding, scenery and just overall awesome, Fraser, Walden or Mt. Evans?

Ed, which 2 of the 3 potential rides would you recommend for riding, scenery and just overall awesome, Fraser, Walden or Mt. Evans?
Of those three I'd probably pick the Walden ride, and Mt. Evans. All three are very nice but the Frasier loop duplicates a lot of both the other rides and the short bit that doesn't isn't really all that good anyhow (interstate and a mostly uninteresting bit of two lane). Riding Mt. Evans and Walden will give you two rides that take you on mostly different roads. For anyone who hasn't been here before RMNP is a must see. Those same people should enjoy Mt. Evans as it's the highest paved road in the country and you just cant experience such altitudes anywhere else. It's also really pretty up there.

A note while I'm thinking about it. We are having a rather moist summer so far. At any time riding in the mountains will expose you to wildly varying weather, but this year so far, rain in the afternoons is a way of life up there. The storms are usually moving fast and are easy to wait out but bring your rain gear! Last weekend I rode out to Walden and on the way back ran in to a downpour with hail tossed in. I turned back a few miles and tried again after a half hour wait It was sunny and cool with no rain at all. That's the Rocky Mountains. I wear an Aerostitch which isn't a half bad rain suit so normally I just ride on, but when it gets bad and/or starts hailing I bail out too. Just keep the weather in mind and pack accordingly. The cool thing is that when its 90 something degrees in Loveland, it will be much cooler in the mountains. :)

I'll try to remember and give you all a more up to date weather report just before you come out, but recently its been pretty warm (ok, hot) here in Loveland with cooler afternoons. The high country has been mostly nice in the mornings, with storms rolling through in the afternoons. In early August I'd expect more heat in the flat lands, and less rain up high but we'll see...

Of those three I'd probably pick the Walden ride, and Mt. Evans. All three are very nice but the Frasier loop duplicates a lot of both the other rides and the short bit that doesn't isn't really all that good anyhow (interstate and a mostly uninteresting bit of two lane). Riding Mt. Evans and Walden will give you two rides that take you on mostly different roads. For anyone who hasn't been here before RMNP is a must see. Those same people should enjoy Mt. Evans as it's the highest paved road in the country and you just cant experience such altitudes anywhere else. It's also really pretty up there.

A note while I'm thinking about it. We are having a rather moist summer so far. At any time riding in the mountains will expose you to wildly varying weather, but this year so far, rain in the afternoons is a way of life up there. The storms are usually moving fast and are easy to wait out but bring your rain gear! Last weekend I rode out to Walden and on the way back ran in to a downpour with hail tossed in. I turned back a few miles and tried again after a half hour wait It was sunny and cool with no rain at all. That's the Rocky Mountains. I wear an Aerostitch which isn't a half bad rain suit so normally I just ride on, but when it gets bad and/or starts hailing I bail out too. Just keep the weather in mind and pack accordingly. The cool thing is that when its 90 something degrees in Loveland, it will be much cooler in the mountains.
smile.png

I'll try to remember and give you all a more up to date weather report just before you come out, but recently its been pretty warm (ok, hot) here in Loveland with cooler afternoons. The high country has been mostly nice in the mornings, with storms rolling through in the afternoons. In early August I'd expect more heat in the flat lands, and less rain up high but we'll see...
Because of the Mt. Evans higher elevation, would a Walden Friday ride be advised to get acclimated before tackling Mt. Evans on Saturday?

A note while I'm thinking about it. We are having a rather moist summer so far. At any time riding in the mountains will expose you to wildly varying weather, but this year so far, rain in the afternoons is a way of life up there. The storms are usually moving fast and are easy to wait out but bring your rain gear! Last weekend I rode out to Walden and on the way back ran in to a downpour with hail tossed in. I turned back a few miles and tried again after a half hour wait It was sunny and cool with no rain at all. That's the Rocky Mountains. I wear an Aerostitch which isn't a half bad rain suit so normally I just ride on, but when it gets bad and/or starts hailing I bail out too. Just keep the weather in mind and pack accordingly. The cool thing is that when its 90 something degrees in Loveland, it will be much cooler in the mountains. :)

Because of the Mt. Evans higher elevation, would a Walden Friday ride be advised to get acclimated before tackling Mt. Evans on Saturday?
A good point and idea Ed. Trail Ridge Rd. that goes up and through the park climbs to just over 12,000ft. That ride will help acclimate a bit plus it might let someone know that they shouldn't attempt the Mt. Evans ride. Altitude effects people differently and some are more susceptible to altitude sickness than others. Plus, the higher you go the more a certain gain in altitude will effect you. A 2000 foot climb from sea level is nothing like the difference between 12,000 and 14,000 feet. I can hike and play at 12,000 ft with only a bit of difficulty but moving around at 14,000 kicks my ass. Anyone who gets a bad headache at 12,000 needs to be really careful about trying 14.

Looks like we are out of this one. To much other crap screwing up my life. perhaps another time.
upset.gif

I'll be cancelling my reservation sometime tomorrow.

My mother and sister are coming home from California and Texas this week so I'm out but I haven't canceled my reservation yet. I booked from work and have all my information like confirmation number there. If you or anybody else wants to try to transfer my reservation into your name let me know and we can maybe make it happen tomorrow evening when I'm at the fire station.

EDIT: My room has been claimed by Julie provided we can make the reservation change happen.

My mother and sister are coming home from California and Texas this week so I'm out but I haven't canceled my reservation yet. I booked from work and have all my information like confirmation number there. If you or anybody else wants to try to transfer my reservation into your name let me know and we can maybe make it happen tomorrow evening when I'm at the fire station.
If you have any static transferring the booking, I can get Heather (in the main office) to make it happen. Let me know.

For those still looking for lodging, check out the motels in Greeley which are 15 to 20 minutes east of the Loveland Hampton Inn. I stayed in Greeley last summer because the room rates were considerably less expensive than Loveland.

A good point and idea Ed. Trail Ridge Rd. that goes up and through the park climbs to just over 12,000ft. That ride will help acclimate a bit plus it might let someone know that they shouldn't attempt the Mt. Evans ride. Altitude effects people differently and some are more susceptible to altitude sickness than others. Plus, the higher you go the more a certain gain in altitude will effect you. A 2000 foot climb from sea level is nothing like the difference between 12,000 and 14,000 feet. I can hike and play at 12,000 ft with only a bit of difficulty but moving around at 14,000 kicks my ass. Anyone who gets a bad headache at 12,000 needs to be really careful about trying 14.
I'm 70 now and last summer I found that at 12,000 feet in Montana I didn't have the strength to do anything when standing still on my feet including take off my Klim jacket to adjust the ventilation zippers. I had no problem at that elevation when moving on the bike. Moving must have created an artificial CPAP machine pushing oxygen through my lungs. :) So in Colorado, I did't get off the bike above 11,000 feet.

A room (king size bed) at the Fairfield Inn is now NOT available @ the original $129 group rate. NO ONE TOOK IT, I CANCELLED IT. SO IT UP TO IF IT IS STILL AVAILABLE.

I saw it and grabbed it for anyone who needs.

Just PM me and I will give you the reservation confirmation # so you can put it in your name.

I just now cancelled my reservation for a single king room so if somebody wants it move quicky.