Oil Change - Side Stand or Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting NEPRT in reality.

I have always used the center stand and never gave it a thought. And through this, I see we actually have some side stand changers. hmmmm?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting NEPRT in reality.
I have always used the center stand and never gave it a thought. And through this, I see we actually have some side stand changers. hmmmm?!
Well, you know we go both ways here on the FJR forum!

(At least that's what Barry said when he was showering with Don Carver at the Reuben Run and dropped the soap!)

I knew when I made my original post that this thread was destined to end up in NEPRT. After all it is an oil thread. And it is interesting to see that some people have drained oil while on the side stand even if it wasn't intentional.

But I was surprised to see how much life this thread had after the first day.

fishing-clip-art-img9.jpg

Now I wonder, is anyone in this group anal enough to flush out the remnants of the old contaminated oil with cheap clean oil before filling up with the good stuff?

confuse.gif

Side stand for me. Use some shaped aluminum foil to direct the flow off the plastic. Don't listen to these guys, they hate everything. Moving a post to NEPRT is a badge of honor.
I'm with ULEWZ. I know you can't get all of the oil out, but I dang sure get all the easy oil out - hence the side stand. And the Al foil is the shizzle for keeping the bike clean(er).

A little bit of old oil left? ..Some things ya just.. 'gotta let it go'.

My g/f always leaves a lil bit of beer (left in the bottle or can) also. I've learned to just let that go as well. ;)

Now that this thread has been moved to its proper place, I can respond without increasing my already bloated post count. ;)

Here are the facts:

EngineOilSpecs.jpg

The above is from the first gen owners manual, but the capacities are the same for all FJR engines.

Total amount of oil in the engine is 5.18 quarts.

Amount of oil required for an oil and filter change is 4.23 quarts.

That leaves 0.95 quarts, or roughly 30 ounces of dirty oil inside the engine when you do an oil change.

If you tip the engine on its side stand and get a few ounces out, measure it and then you'll know how much of the 30 ounces is still inside there.

My bet (after having tried it, but not measured) is most of it. IOW, don't bother.

I've heard about the "blow job" technique for draining coolant. Anybody discover a similar method for getting that last nasty bit o' oil outta their FJR? Video?
love.gif

I've heard about the "blow job" technique for draining coolant. Anybody discover a similar method for getting that last nasty bit o' oil outta their FJR? Video? :love:
Why?
These engines seem to last for over 200,000 miles with no significant wear. When did you last hear of one with bearing, bore or gear-train wear (other than some catastrophic failure unrelated to lubrication)?

So, what's the point?

I've heard about the "blow job" technique for draining coolant. Anybody discover a similar method for getting that last nasty bit o' oil outta their FJR? Video?
love.gif
Chiefblueman, you're just trying to get Bustanut joker's phone number! Admit it, aren't you? It's 987-5309, Owosso MI Area Code. JSNS!