Oil Change - Side Stand or Center Stand

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard about the "blow job" technique for draining coolant. Anybody discover a similar method for getting that last nasty bit o' oil outta their FJR? Video?
love.gif
Chiefblueman, you're just trying to get Bustanut joker's phone number! Admit it, aren't you? It's 987-5309, Owosso MI Area Code. JSNS!
Dammit Don, ya Irish knucklehead. Now you've gone and outed me! My forum life will never be the same 'cuz of your superior powers of deductive reasoning. I am, however, willing to put my feelings aside out of respect for Don Carver.
bad.gif

Happy Friday !
punk.gif

But I was surprised to see how much life this thread had after the first day.
Not me. Not even surprised at the voluminous comments from the crowd that DON'T EVEN OWN an FJR. (Please gain some credibility and buy an FJR!)
Hmmm. Does buying an FJR guarantee credibility? And who exactly makes up this crowd of non-owners?

Could you mean Bustanut Joker? Poor Bust has no credibility since he sold his FJR. He has only been a member of this forum since 2005. And no one "likes" him either. He only has 529 likes in his green box.

Perhaps you mean Top_Speed1? He sold his FJR and perhaps lost his credibility then. He's been here just two and a half years yet he has managed 168 likes in his little green box in that time.

Or, perhaps you meant me? I am a relative newcomer as well and I don't "Own" an FJR. I just modify and maintain my father's '07 and therefore I have no credibility either. And I am so useless that I have only managed 526 "likes" in my two and a half years here.

Based on what I see "credibility" is not gained by FJR ownership. I looked up your membership date, post count and "like" numbers as well. I suggest you attack someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dammit, I'm outta likes. RFH, that's the best post you have put up in a while. AND, that has to be a credible opinion since I do own an FJR.

Nope, once an FJR family member always an FJR family member. Now go buy an FJR. You know you want one.
bike.gif

You want my 2007?? I have brand new tires for it sitting in the hallway, still wrapped in plastic.....You and your dad could match. Like John and Ponch!!

BACK on Topic!

I wanted to start my own thread because I do not wish to continue insulting the OP. However, it would certainly have been destined for NEPRT anyway so I just piggybacked here.

I just finished doing some maintenance on Pop's '07. Simple stuff, the engine oil, final drive oil, and bleeding brakes. As I was draining the oil I talked with Pop about this thread and we shared a laugh or two.

But then... I began to ponder things. This is never good when I am working nights, my mind is even more twisted than normal. So I have questions too.

1. The differential oil is so thick, it drains slowly. Would I hurt anything if I used a cutting torch to heat the differential housing so the oil would thin and drain faster?

2. How about compressed air? Could/Should I put an air nozzle in the fill hole and blow the residual oil out of the drain hole? Will that result in cleaner, less contaminated oil?

3. If draining on the side stand is more effective, why not remove the filter and the drain plug and just let the bike fall over on its left side? Wouldn't that get that old nasty stuff out?

4. While draining the final drive oil I got a few drops on the side of the rear tire. Is the tire still good? Should I replace it? Or can I just use the aforementioned cutting torch to burn the oil off the rubber?

Let me know guys. I am so nervous now that I told Pop not to ride the bike.
weirdsmiley.gif

Have a nice day.
smile.png

Hey dipshit...Use that cutting torch on the rear tire instead of the drive housing. You'll be amazed at how much oil ends up on the floor then. Hell, you'll get so much oil, the fire department will have a parade all at your house!

Hey dipshit...Use that cutting torch on the rear tire instead of the drive housing. You'll be amazed at how much oil ends up on the floor then. Hell, you'll get so much oil, the fire department will have a parade all at your house!
Hey Mr. Personality! Re-read the line with the number 4 in front of it. (Get your 7 year old to help you with this, she did wonders for me and my issues with sentence structure!)

I asked about using the torch on the tire.

Geesh, just keep on hurting my little feelings...

I'm just shocked this POS thread is still active.

Back when men were men here this dumb ass shit would have deteriorated to the point insults would have kept the sensitive away..

Effectively closing it.

But, the "New World Order" asks we coddle those who are too damned ignorant to read past threads.

I'm good with it though. It entertains me no end.

I'm just shocked this POS thread is still active.
Back when men were men here this dumb ass shit would have deteriorated to the point insults would have kept the sensitive away..

Effectively closing it.

But, the "New World Order" asks we coddle those who are too damned ignorant to read past threads.

I'm good with it though. It entertains me no end.
Damn Bust beat me to the punch on this. Four pages of obsessing about a bit of oil in the engine. More damage will be done by riding it - they do wear out when properly used.

Today I was at a antique motorcycle show in Tacoma Washington and saw a 1973 Honda CL350 with ten miles on it. I wonder how often the owner changed the oil and if he worries about a bit of oil remaining in the engine during changes? JSNF.

And Bust men are men here and that is why this dumb ass shit is 4 pages long.
smile.png

But then... I began to ponder things. This is never good when I am working nights, my mind is even more twisted than normal. So I have questions too.
1. The differential oil is so thick, it drains slowly. Would I hurt anything if I used a cutting torch to heat the differential housing so the oil would thin and drain faster?

2. How about compressed air? Could/Should I put an air nozzle in the fill hole and blow the residual oil out of the drain hole? Will that result in cleaner, less contaminated oil?

3. If draining on the side stand is more effective, why not remove the filter and the drain plug and just let the bike fall over on its left side? Wouldn't that get that old nasty stuff out?

4. While draining the final drive oil I got a few drops on the side of the rear tire. Is the tire still good? Should I replace it? Or can I just use the aforementioned cutting torch to burn the oil off the rubber?

Let me know guys. I am so nervous now that I told Pop not to ride the bike.
weirdsmiley.gif

bullshit-o-meter.gif

Okay, since nobody else will (or is anal enough to) do it, today was oil change day on the '05...

Drained the oil fully from the center stand, then put a clean drain pan under the bike and put it on the side stand. Look how much more dirty oil came out!!
uhoh.gif

100_4599.jpg

Gosh!!

Being indirectly in the healthcare industry, I happen to have a 60cc bolus syringe handy that I use for extracting old brake fluid and such... perfect for an accurate measurement of how much it is

100_4602.jpg

Filled it to 60cc (2 ounces) once

100_4600.jpg

And then to 25cc to suck up the remainder

100_4601.jpg

So there's your answer. You can get a bit less than 3 of the ~30 ounces of dirty oil left behind in the engine when draining on the center stand if you put the bike on the side stand. Still at least 27 ounces of the old oil left in there.

Like I said early on, not worth the effort.

Bwaaaaaahahahaha. Fred, you got 3 whole ounces? Nice. That's about as significant as a mouse fart in a coal mine.

You did such a good job, I think I'll send Barry over to give you a friendly attaboy ass slap. Just don't have that 60cc of lube laying around. Things could go terribly wrong!

Fred is The Man! (Not necessarily in this relationship, you understand)

Now that I know there is that much contamination left in there I am going to start doing it that way myself. I might even drill and tap the side of the crankcase and just push the bike over on its side.

We are so lucky that Fred stayed in the FJR family. What would we do without him?

It's really no big deal. Fill it up with fresh oil, run the engine, drain and refill with fresh oil. Do this three times and on the fourth fill you should have virtually 100% fresh oil. Done. Oh, don't forget to put on that second new oil filter on the fourth fill.

Shit...Now it turns out this bike does need $150 oil changes. I bet THAT'S why dealers charge so much. I bet they ensure every drop of nasty oil is out of these engines. Yamaha must dictate that to them. There's no way these motors could go 200,000 + miles any other way.

It's really no big deal. Fill it up with fresh oil, run the engine, drain and refill with fresh oil. Do this three times and on the fourth fill you should have virtually 100% fresh oil. Done.
Au contraire, mon professuer! Let's do some more ciphering...

On the first round of oil change, assuming you will swap the oil filter, you'll be mixing 30 ounces of 100% dirty oil with 135 ounces of fresh oil, making the resulting mixture 165 ounces of 18% old oil.

Next two rounds (assuming not changing the filter) you'll be leaving 37 ounces of 18% oil behind, so the resultant dilutions would be 4.03% dirty oil and then 0.90% dirty oil.

On the fourth (and final) change you said to change the filter again, so the resulting oil would still contain 0.163% of the yucky dirty oil, or in only words, only achieve 99.836% clean.

Certainly not even close to the five nines purity we have come to expect for our beloved Feejers!!!

tonguesmiley.gif