• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Oil Filter Guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

Pat Walsh

I have just completed our first production run of Oil Filter Guards for the FJR 1300. The reason for the existence of this product is due to the misfortune of 2 riding buddies that both went down on the left side on the same trip in Mexico. Neither rider was able to complete the ride because the filters were damaged. As I am an owner of one of these also, I decided to make a guard to protect the oil filter. Look at it on my website - it may come in handy for a rider who also experiences this unfortunate accident. I am new to this forum so must apologize for the blatant commercial promotion here. Don't normally do this. https://www.patwalshdesigns.com/

Last edited:
Try This Instead

ofg.jpg

Should paint it Cerulean so it's even uglier........... :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am new to this forum so must apologize for the blatant commercial promotion here. Don't normally do this. www.patwalshdesigns.com
Since this looks like a decent product that some FJR owners may be interested, I moved this thread to it's new home under an area we created just for this sort of thing. (FJR Vendor Offers)

I also edited your posting so the hyperlink would work correctly.

Welcome to the board!

I have just completed our first production run of Oil Filter Guards for the FJR 1300. The reason for the existence of this product is due to the misfortune of 2 riding buddies that both went down on the left side on the same trip in Mexico. Neither rider was able to complete the ride because the filters were damaged. As I am an owner of one of these also, I decided to make a guard to protect the oil filter. Look at it on my website - it may come in handy for a rider who also experiences this unfortunate accident. I am new to this forum so must apologize for the blatant commercial promotion here. Don't normally do this. https://www.patwalshdesigns.com/
Curious...did the 2 friends who had incidents also have frame sliders or tip-over guards?

Good idea, but not sufficient protection for what happened to me last summer when an iron bar flew up from the back of a truck while I was traveling at 120 kph.

OilFilterHit.jpg

Kasey

Nice idea. Just out of curiosity...will it fit with the Yamaha foot guards in place on the fairing??

Looks like it won't fit with the highway pegs,same mounting point.

Maybe not Stu64, but now that I have the Wild Bill highway pegs mounted up, it looks as if the one mounted around the oil filter would provide SOME protection for the filter anyway. I've seen a number of pix of the right hand side with the Wild Bill peg mounted, but none of the left hand side. I'll take one this weekend and post. Surely not as much protection as the purpose built protector, though.

And, Kasey, I bet that was an interesting experience! Did you lose much oil? Did any make its way to the rear tire? :eek:

Did you lose much oil?
How much oil do you see in the gauge window? ;) There may be a trace in the bottom of the glass but what's there sure is clean!

While the bike was moving it lost some oil but as soon as I pulled over and put it on the sidestand the rest poured out - fortunately onto the shoulder and not the traffic lanes. The rear tire was thoroughly coated and had to be replaced to avoid a potential liability issue with my insurance co. I might add that the bar first struck the lower left fork and dented it, then hit the chin piece where it joins the left fairing section and then came around my foot and struck the filter...all in a matter of seconds. Someone up there was looking out for me, that's for sure.

BTW the guards look like a great idea; one can't ever predict such an unusual circumstance ever happening again.

Kasey

After reading an earlier post about oil filter damage from road debris I started carrying a spare filter. Hopefully that will be enough to prevent its use. Cheap insurance anyway.

FJReady