Oil filters that fit the FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Try checking out 06-07 Bin-O-Facts under the FAQ's and Common historical Info section of the board.

BTW, I know you have a 04, but the filters are the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a read HERE

I'm partial to the Pure One 14610. Reasonable price, easy to find at my local Bi-Mart.

Never mind vectervp1, he's just learned to use the search function really well here. (Dude, back from Utah already?)

I have the Mobil M1-110 on right now and it works great, no leaks. It is the more expense of the bunch ($10 I think)

I also bought a Bosch 3323 which is going on in about 500 more miles.

I have a Bosch on mine now. Seems to work just fine. No leaks. Seems like a solidly built unit.

Have a read HERE
I'm partial to the Pure One 14610. Reasonable price, easy to find at my local Bi-Mart.

Never mind vectervp1, he's just learned to use the search function really well here. (Dude, back from Utah already?)
Me too. I ordered a bunch of them a couple months ago from amazon.com 2 for $6.

Steve

Like others here, I use the Pure One. It is a highly rated filter and the blue looks good on my Galaxy Blue bike. However, some folks have had problems with Yamaha regarding warranty work because they failed to use a genuine Yamaha filter. The excuse is that the alternative filters are designed for automobiles, not motorcycles.

However, some folks have had problems with Yamaha regarding warranty work because they failed to use a genuine Yamaha filter. The excuse is that the alternative filters are designed for automobiles, not motorcycles.
I've not experienced any hassles personally. I suspect this is at the dealer level, not Yamaha. Yamaha knows better and if you get hassled by the dealer, a call to Yamaha customer service should sort that out quickly. Especially if you have records of your service, including the owner service such as oil/filter changes.

Have a read HERE

I also use the Pure One,but today I ordered 6 Yamaha filters from U Motors for $6.47 ea. I also ordered a trunk case so the shipping didn't cost any more.By the way I also live in Oregon City. BenKFJR

The PureOne is blue, but I painted mine flat black to blend in mo' bettah wid' my 06 AE silver.

I have the Mobil M1-110 on right now and it works great, no leaks. It is the more expense of the bunch ($10 I think)

In the bin-o-facts it states the Mobil 1 filter as M1-108. Are the 110 and 108 both OK for use on a Gen-II ?

I was the one who had problems getting clutch work covered under warranty because of the Purolator filter. I would like to point out that the Yamaha customer representative in Cypress was NOT helpful in clearing the matter up and OK'ing the job as warranty work. It took 4 phone calls, mention of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, mention of others who had clutch issues that were covered under the warranty, and hints that the next call would be from legal representation before she finally did the right thing. She was not on my side & kept saying "But you had the wrong part on it."

Granted, I was not at my most personable during the initial phone call & that might have colored her responses from there on out. (I'm sure it's not a fun job listening to people like me gripe about what's wrong with their bikes & why Yamaha should pick up the tab.) However, make absolutely positively sure that the service manager is on your side before calling customer service because that rep will call the shop & weight the service manager's story more heavily than yours since he is the licensed expert.

However, some folks have had problems with Yamaha regarding warranty work because they failed to use a genuine Yamaha filter. The excuse is that the alternative filters are designed for automobiles, not motorcycles.
I've not experienced any hassles personally. I suspect this is at the dealer level, not Yamaha. Yamaha knows better and if you get hassled by the dealer, a call to Yamaha customer service should sort that out quickly. Especially if you have records of your service, including the owner service such as oil/filter changes.

I was the one who had problems getting clutch work covered under warranty because of the Purolator filter. I would like to point out that the Yamaha customer representative in Cypress was NOT helpful in clearing the matter up and OK'ing the job as warranty work. It took 4 phone calls, mention of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, mention of others who had clutch issues that were covered under the warranty, and hints that the next call would be from legal representation before she finally did the right thing. She was not on my side & kept saying "But you had the wrong part on it."
Granted, I was not at my most personable during the initial phone call & that might have colored her responses from there on out. (I'm sure it's not a fun job listening to people like me gripe about what's wrong with their bikes & why Yamaha should pick up the tab.) However, make absolutely positively sure that the service manager is on your side before calling customer service because that rep will call the shop & weight the service manager's story more heavily than yours since he is the licensed expert.
Good advise, this. Ones best bet is to slap a Yammi filter on before any warranty inspection is scheduled, just to keep it simple.

In the bin-o-facts it states the Mobil 1 filter as M1-108. Are the 110 and 108 both OK for use on a Gen-II ?
Don't know about the 108, I forgot where I saw the M1-110 listed but she is still a goin fine after 3500 miles. Oil level has barely gone down at all after interstate, congested city and hard twisty riding