Oil leak at drain plug

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
put my dick in yer mouth Crump...God dam noobs
Tech day is over...no more mister nice guy
fuck.gif

...to the OP...good luck with your leaking drain bolt, or just put some harley stickers on yer tank and be done.

Hello all. Looks like it was as simple as a new crush washer that I purchased at AutoZone. I do still have concerns about the type of rubber gasket that was used during the last oil change but the problem does appear to be solved. I am a rookie so I am sure that I jumped to conclusions a bit but that is a perfect example of why I joined this forum; to learn. I am still concerned that the oil pan may be stripped but for now the leak is gone and that works for me.

Thank you to everyone for your replies. I look forward to reading and learning more on this forum.

I believe it as already been repaired. Hence the reason for the larger drain plug. I don't see a big issue hear. Several people have repaired there oil pans this way. You just need to find the correct washer to seal the plug properly. The question remains whether the dealership screwed it up or the original owner. If the dealership did it then its on them. If the original owner screwed it up then in my opinion you can't blame the dealer. They may not have known about it at the time of sale. I would check an auto parts place to find something suitable. If not available go down to your local machine shop and ask the to take a 1" diameter round piece of copper or aluminum, drill a hole in it and cut off a couple of dozen washers. Second thought check the size first. Now that I think of it they have that stupid raised part of the casting next to the hole. I don't know why its there. Not like we are doing any off roading with an FJR. Well at least most of us.

Good 2 go,

Dave
Ding, Ding, Ding !

I think we have a winner.
no.gif

I owe you a beer, Dave.

I still say something's wonky though.

If we find out later that it's actually stripped, you can pay me back.

Glad it worked out for the OP.

Dammit

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem,

we will see how the next oil change goes for the OP. He should be o.k. now and I hope he bought a dozen washers. I am on my second washer after many miles and many oil changes. I think I have a spair somewhere but haven't bothered to change it out. Still no leaks.

Dave

I still wanna know why the highly trained mechanic ham-fisted monkey used a rubber washer
Because that's what he had laying around in the top of his tool box. Or maybe that's what he found on there and, when he didn't have a new washer to fit he used the old one. Locating the proper gasket would require a non-Yamaha part.