On the fence

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
496394024_8q9p6-X3.jpg

From a slide presentation at IBA National.

Hmmmm.......

If you don't mind two bikes, get the FJR and a 650 Strom. About the same money and the best of both worlds.
- Mark
Exactly. Full knobbies on the WeeStrom, keeping it as dirt worthy as possible. Both bikes can be bought cheap and are easy keepers. No CANBUS for example. Another consideration is that BMW corporate tends to replace failed units rather than troubleshoot / identify root cause problems. The rear end failures are a prime example. Got a BMW mechanic bud who has many examples of complete engine replacements instead of simple repairs. This drives the price point up and you, the customer, ends up paying for it.

For me, Adventurer-bike wise, it would be KTM or TE610 or even an 87 ATK with XR600 engine power.

I own a FJR and a GS Adventure. Like others have said these are two completely different bikes.

I love both, but for different reasons. But if I was to only choose one it would be the GS cause it can also take me way off the beaten path, it's great in city traffic, and does pretty damn good in the twistys.

By the way....I'm ridding my FJR today. :rolleyes:

In part to the original question, the bike I had before my FJR was a BMW K1200rs, nice bike but in all honesty I like my FJR better. Although the FJR is much less expensive, it is still a better bike, IMO overall. But one huge factor was the dealership availability. The sole dealership here in the Salt Lake City area, sucks ass! For many reasons I don't have time to go in to, they are absolutley the worse. Of course there are some shittie Yami dealers, but there are many more to choose from, for the 1 BMW dealer in my area I have 6 Yami dealers to go to.

Food for thought.

First, the FJR and the GSA are like apples and oranges. Usually, I think folks boil it down to a choice of a few bikes in a certain class of bike - but you're mixin' it up aren't yah? :huh: I went from a dual sport world to the FJR. And the main driving force for me was looks. After a while I could not stand my Vstrom and longed for the looks of a sleek, finely engineered piece of machinery. To me the GSA is too utilitarian and oh yah its a freakin' huge bike in girth, volume, handling and costs! I love the FJR (got me an' '08), My advice - go for the FJR! :clapping:

Scott

Thanx for the input. I think we have beaten this dead horse to dea....well, you get the idea.

For those who are interested, I will be putting a deposit down on a 2008 FJR1300AE this afternoon. I think RadioHowie had one of the most compelling arguments (and NOT just because my wife said the same thing!!); why spend money on an off-road capable road bike when I can spend less on a great road bike AND a great dirt bike. I will be researching that purchase later this year.

Referring to some other posts about Yamaha reliability: I agree wholeheartedly, with a minor caveat. My RSV came with a 5 year warranty which I used exactly ONCE (for a problem my crap dealership DID NOT fix). I expect similar results from the FJR or any other Yamaha. I will, however, be using the a dealership for regular service. At standard service rates, I think I have a right to expect bend-over-backwards service. What I have gotten from 2 local Yamaha dealers is bend-over-here-it-comes-again service.

So lets move on to another part of my original post: does this forum maintain a database of excellent/good/fair/poor ratings for Yamaha dealerships? More specifically, who has had good experiences with their dealership in southern Michigan or northern Ohio? I can think of 2 to add to the fair/poor categories.

Congrats, and welcome to the asylum! :yahoo: :clapping:

Now be sure to block off your calendar to attend EOM this fall...

So lets move on to another part of my original post: does this forum maintain a database of excellent/good/fair/poor ratings for Yamaha dealerships? More specifically, who has had good experiences with their dealership in southern Michigan or northern Ohio? I can think of 2 to add to the fair/poor categories.
Poke around the Vendor Feedback area. I did a quick search for a dealer I know of in Upper Sandusky - Thiel's Wheels Feedback.

Hey Curtis,

Hmm, I think you made a good point about the dealership experience. My local BMW dealer is...what's the word...snobbish as hell! :) But, if you go there you will feel a bit special. I would certainly hope so for the several thousand more I'll pay initially and the thousands more I'll spend over the life of the bike doing required maintenance there. Now, I know BMW is an acquired taste and I'm sure I would have fully enjoy the RS1200 I heavily considered to my current 08 FJR but I couldn't stomach the bills I would have incurred for maintaining the BMW.

I guess where my conversation is going with this is; do ya hang out at the dealership much? Do you want to? If you do, then I think the BMW hands down because Yamaha dealerships are for buying, dropping your bike off to have very seldom required maintenance done, or to buy an oil filter.

I personally rarely visit the dealership because I don't have to and would rather be riding and organizing rides with the great folks on this and other forums.

But, that's just me. :)

I would like a GS1200 someday for my adventure fix again but I"m hoping that the Japanese in the next couple of years come to America with a worthy AT that they currently market in Europe so I can have my fix without the associated BMW maintenance.

Good luck with your decision.

Gerry

2008 FJR Pilot

Nice to be here ya'll. I prefer this forum to the other FJR forii I have visited.
Considering (heavily) a 2008 AE, but also considering a return to BMW twin (likely a GS Adv). Let me tell you why and you can then offer any suggestions and/or scathing criticism.

Why the Yamaha: that ENGINE!!! This would be my second Yammy, sold a 2003 RSV in Dec and it was a great experience. Reliability.

Uber-hightech auto-clutch. Bottom line it's probably A LOT more bike for A LOT less money.

Why the BMW: I'll admit to some snob appeal. This would be my second BMW, my 1981 R100/7 was also a great experience. Rugged good

looks. Go-anywhere reputation (deserved or otherwise) A prime consideration, though, is the dealership/service factor.

The local BMW shop is damn near a boutique staffed by like-minded mental deviants with a hardcore obsession with customer service. Really the kind of place you want to HANG OUT and they seem to treat their clientelle like my Lexus dealer treats me (loaner bikes, frequent events/rides, a willingness to BS an hour or more with a POTENTIAL customer). By comparison, both local Yamaha shops are cinder block holes staffed by stunted post-adolescents and the service department blamed ME for every bit of warranty work I brought in with my RSV.

So, how do I find a deserving dealership? Is there a database here of great/good/fair/poor dealerships and service departments? Can Yamaha really rival the dealership experience offered by BMW?

I hope to be around a while here. There really is a lot of useful info here and I like most of what I read. thanx in advance for any input

Curtis

Thanx for the input. I think we have beaten this dead horse to dea....well, you get the idea.
For those who are interested, I will be putting a deposit down on a 2008 FJR1300AE this afternoon. I think RadioHowie had one of the most compelling arguments (and NOT just because my wife said the same thing!!); why spend money on an off-road capable road bike when I can spend less on a great road bike AND a great dirt bike. I will be researching that purchase later this year.

Referring to some other posts about Yamaha reliability: I agree wholeheartedly, with a minor caveat. My RSV came with a 5 year warranty which I used exactly ONCE (for a problem my crap dealership DID NOT fix). I expect similar results from the FJR or any other Yamaha. I will, however, be using the a dealership for regular service. At standard service rates, I think I have a right to expect bend-over-backwards service. What I have gotten from 2 local Yamaha dealers is bend-over-here-it-comes-again service.

Don't know about your experiences, but I've had good results with these folks...

https://www.ohiomotorcycle.com/

the one in Oakwood....

Mary