One arm guy installs farkles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Rocket

Reaction score
So today I got my recent online purchases in and I gave the heralded "Farkle" the old college try. Sounds easy enough, right? Don't forget, I only have one hand. Ok, one and a half, but still. In the last few months, the most dexterity required of me has been typing at work and helping out around the house. Tonight I got to use real tools again. I'm talking torque wrench, 10mm hex head bit, Locktite. Man stuff. And let me tell you, it feels good to be back!

After picking up a new 09 AE last week, I found a set of frame sliders from psychomotogear on eBay for $10.99 + $4.99 for shipping. Of course, once I received them I looked up the manufacturer online who had them listed $4.99, $11.99 shipped. Oh well. They're cheap and look like it but I found some of the longest ones I could find. I have no doubt they'll do the trick. The manufacturer's part number is FS-049.

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0176.jpg

They didn't come with any instructions and I didn't find anything on their website about how to install it so I did what any one of us would have done in my situation. I broke down and I called a fellow forum member. Larry33319, who was one of this first to reply to my introductory post, called me after I texted him this shot.

IMG_0169.jpg

I think he was more curious of who I was or what the hell he was looking at on his phone than he was about talking with me but he took the time and called me right back. Thanks so much for the help, Larry. Looking forward to meeting you and doing some riding!

I got them on with minimal effort. It took me longer to break out the tools than it did to do the job. One was longer than the other but after a little help from a new friend, I think I nailed it. They're black so you don't notice them as easily but they do have a carbon fiber look if that suits you better. With as long as these are, they should work pretty well as impromptu highway pegs as well.

IMG_0171.jpg

I also picked up a set of the Classic version of BeadRider's wooden bead seat covers for the wife and I. A riding buddy from Tennessee on a V-Strom uses one and loves it. The factory seat was not working for me after being spoiled with a Corbin on the BMW. As soon as it heats up, I sweat a little and the seat causes a lot of friction against the inside of my legs. With the beads, you kinda slide over the seat. The spaces between the beads should also help with ventilation and keep my butt much drier.

IMG_0168.jpg

IMG_0174.jpg

I'll need to find something to put over the paint where the beads meet the base of the tank. It's going to rub, no doubt about it. Even the document that came with them says to be aware of that.

IMG_0173.jpg

I should be receiving dog bones in later this week. I may hold off on installing these on my own until I can get someone else here to keep an eye on things. I love my bike but I definitely don't want that thing on top of me! I'll try to take some more pics next time. I'm hoping this will serve as a journal as I tinker on my new ride.

See you in the curve!

Last edited by a moderator:

I'll need to find something to put over the paint where the beads meet the base of the tank. It's going to rub, no doubt about it. Even the document that came with them says to be aware of that.

IMG_0173.jpg

I used silver duct tape. Put it on because I seemed to get grit between the seat front and the tank cover piece (I do ride some awful roads sometimes).

(Click picture for larger view)

My seat is in the lower position, you'll need yours up a bit further up than mine. It should protect against the beads, it's not too obvious, and is easily renewable.

Not sure how you handle duct tape with one (and a half) hands, maybe your wife unit (obviously helpful) will lend you another
huh.gif

IMG_0173.jpg

I used silver duct tape. Put it on because I seemed to get grit between the seat front and the tank cover piece (I do ride some awful roads sometimes).

(Click picture for larger view)

My seat is in the lower position, you'll need yours up a bit further up than mine. It should protect against the beads, it's not too obvious, and is easily renewable.

Not sure how you handle duct tape with one (and a half) hands, maybe your wife unit (obviously helpful) will lend you another
huh.gif
I'm not sure I can come to grips with using duct tape on the bike. I know it would work at first but once that stuff starts to deteriorate, it becomes a mess. I'm curious how long it lasts on yours before you have to replace it with a new piece. I'm thinking of using clear vinyl if I can find some.

Edited:

Just saw your site, McAtrophy! There's a lot of reading to do! I got sucked into your cruise control install. Great job documenting every step along the way. I think you've helped to confirm I'm going the easy way out with the Throttlemeister! Great site!

Nice talking with you last night, Jason. The frame sliders look about right. I hate it when they send items out with no instructions. Clear contact paper should work well for protection against the Bead Rider. Office Depot or Office Max should sell some clear type of covering that is used to cover business cards or presentation materials. Good Luck.

huh.gif
I'm not sure I can come to grips with using duct tape on the bike. I know it would work at first but once that stuff starts to deteriorate, it becomes a mess. I'm curious how long it lasts on yours before you have to replace it with a new piece. I'm thinking of using clear vinyl if I can find some.

Edited:

Just saw your site, McAtrophy! There's a lot of reading to do! I got sucked into your cruise control install. Great job documenting every step along the way. I think you've helped to confirm I'm going the easy way out with the Throttlemeister! Great site!
I use a good quality tape, its grey colour similar to the plastic it's stuck to, and almost none exposed for view so almost unnoticeable. Yours would have to be more in view to do its job. It lasts for a year or two (depending on how much grit gets rubbed into it!). Takes some removing (I pull it off, it leaves gobs of glue behind, which I soak in WD40 to soften it and rub it off with rag).

Clear vinyl would look better, it depends on its glue for weather proofing (I ride in anything unless there's standing snow or ice on the road). Hence the need for good quality.

Web site: Whenever I "do" anything, I like to photograph it coming to pieces so that I have some record to help put it back together again. Holidays (vacations) and such I need photographs to remind me (my 69-year old memory has never been good). So it's easy to add them to my web site. It's all done for me, but if it helps anyone else, that's fine.

Cruise control: I'm being forced into some help holding the throttle open because of arthritis (or something similar) in my fingers. I've looked at aids such as the Throttlemeister, but I always come back to a few reports of throttles sticking open or similar. With the YCC-S you can't disengage the drive in an emergency, one reason I went for the CC. Although I took many hours to do mine, much of that was thinking (many, many hours) and back-tracking.

I suspect you could do it with perhaps the occasional extra third second hand input, but I know it would be very hard literally single handedly.

Maybe there's someone reasonably near you who could help for a few beers, as far as i can tell many people on this forum like to help.

ONE ARM?

A one armed man can farkleize?

A ONE ARMED man can ride a M/C?

HELL YEA!

FLAT TRACKER!

JGR.jpg

Jason is a fiend of mine's son. He's ridden Hare Scrambles on a dual sport bike. He's a sponsored mountain bike racer too.

ONE ARM?

A one armed man can farkleize?

A ONE ARMED man can ride a M/C?

HELL YEA!

FLAT TRACKER!

JGR.jpg

Jason is a fiend of mine's son. He's ridden Hare Scrambles on a dual sport bike. He's a sponsored mountain bike racer too.

That's awesome. Makes me appreciate what I do have. Thanks for the post!