Oops...my bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gearman

Reaction score
Thankfully, I walked away without a scratch. I was riding in Western Maryland Saturday and managed to find some greasy pavement...which led to an encounter with a ditch...which led to this:

DSC02223.jpg

Hopefully it can all be resolved quickly...prime riding season is short here. :glare:

Dang, man! I take it you are OK and walked away?

Any insights as to what happened? Fuel spill? cdogman-style coal muck insfused in the pavement? Maybe odot or Bust were in the area and peed on the road?

How about gear performance? Helmet, jacket, etc...

How's the scoot? I see your left mirror is broken and you got your bike dirty. Anything else?

Let's be safe out there,

BG

Judging by the angle of those front forks, and the location of the Bike in the photo, I'd say you didn't ride away. Tough break!

But you are OK, I presume, and you have an SV to get you around until you can fix the FJR. Hope your deductible is low!

Best of Luck!

Those forks do look bent, don't they? Glad you're ok. Forks can be replaced, not so much legs and arms and torsos and you get the idea...

Yikes! Glad you're ok.

Your FJR - well that's another matter. I wouldn't be surprised if insurance totals it out. New forks, new front subframe, sidebags, and all the other little stuff will add up quickly. Wonder what they value an 05 at these days?

Sorry to hear you crashed your wonderful bike. We'd appreciate some detail on how it happened, what you could have done better and which gear you were wearing and how it performed.

Glad you are not hurt.

I'm going with not bent and simply compressed byt he rachet straps. I DO see what *could* seem to be a slight archin in the fork, but it could also be an illusion from other angles present in the image and how my eye/brain is interpreting the data.

Also, as another poster was, to hear how your gear worked.

Overall, I'm saddened at this unfortunate turn of events for the OP. Being from Eastern Canada, I can fully agree the riding season is short - this kinda stinks. :( Here's hoping everything turns around quickly.

It looks ok...

except the forks...and fairing...and fender...and windshield...and sidecover...and saddlebags... and pro'lly the exhaust headers, footpeg and handlebars.

May be totalled, but glad you're not hurt. There but for....

Oh yeah, those tubes are bent...as is the radiator. Most of the exterior fairing panels are toast and the fairing stay and windscreen bracketry are likely tweaked. The windscreen and sidecase covers are heavily scratched. As an extra bonus, the rear rack has a big piece missing and there's a nice gouge in the left side engine case. It may possibly be totalled. Still starts and purrs like a kitten though.

It was a downhill right hander. As near as I can tell, the surface of the pavement consisted of semi liquid asphalt ooze which was fairly greasy in the afternoon heat. The rider I was following got pretty out of shape so I knew what was coming. I nailed the brakes but not far into the turn it was obvious that friction had left the building. At that point I could have lowsided but there was a fairly wide strip of grass so I decided to stand her back up a little and take my chances upright and off of the pavement. I ended up with my wheels in a shallow ditch. This was a relief because at least I wasn't going to enter the rock/tree zone a few feet away. I was losing speed but the ditch got deeper and eventually made a short 90 degree jog to the right. The FJR ended up about a bike length away from the impact zone, pointing back the way I came, the tires at the pavements edge and right bar in the ditch. I wound up in the ditch about ten feet from the bike. Pavement conditions aside, my final analysis is pilot error.

I can't say that my gear prevented much injury in this case but who knows. Some very nice local folks hauled the bike back to their house on an atv trailer. Keep in mind I'm nearly 250 miles from home and by now it's going on 4pm. After calming my distraught wife (what part of "I'm fine, I didn't get a scratch" don't they understand?) she called my oldest son and he headed out with the shop pickup. He arrived around 9pm and I hit the door at 2am. It was a long day. The next morning I spent an hour or so scrubbing mud and grass stains from my gear. It was due for a good cleaning anyhow. The bike was picked up by a local shop today and hopefully we won't be without a land yacht for long because the wife is kinda pissed that her comfy pillion is out of commission. :angry2:

After calming my distraught wife (what part of "I'm fine, I didn't get a scratch" don't they understand?)
We understand it all, but we tend to dwell on the 'what if's' for a bit

BTDT, got the t-shirt, wish I had kept the bent forks.

Glad you were unscathed. Bikes can be replaced, peoples? not so much...

Last edited by a moderator:
After calming my distraught wife (what part of "I'm fine, I didn't get a scratch" don't they understand?)
Sounds like she wasn't worried about you so much....

...the wife is kinda pissed that her comfy pillion is out of commission. :angry2:
she was apparently concerned about her comfy seat on the back of the Feej!

While pilot error may have played into it, it might have been a pretty good call to try the grassy route. Grass stings a little less than asphalt.

At any rate, I'm glad you're okay.

We understand it all, but we tend to dwell on the 'what if's' for a bit
I guess I never considered that. I'm glad we have some gals on here, because sometimes us guys are pretty clueless about this sort of thing. She has been a little nicer to me this week, but to tell you the truth, it's a little spooky. ;)