Opinions on PC 3 fuel maps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sliick2

Reaction score
I'd like to ask the Brain Trust of the Forum about which one works best .I have a 2006 FJR w/a PC 3 & am currently using the 419-001 map .This is for Stock exh.,Stock air filter & 02 sensor disconnected. The bike runs fine & I have tried other maps ( such as Walley's smoothness map ). I just think that I could do better in the mileage department than what I have been getting ( currently about 38 ish ). To be honest, I have done the air filter box mod & have a K&N filter w/ Leo Vince slip ons.

Hoping that there is a simple map change, so I don't need to have a custom map made. Thanks so much guys !

IMHO, the "air-box mod", K&N filter, Leo Vince cans and the Power Commander will do little or nothing to enhance top-end performance. The PC III will smooth out throttle abruptness at low throttle openings by dumping in extra fuel. This will be, to some extent, at the cost of reduced mileage. Mileage will improve without the PC or you might make fuel economy a little better playing with fuelling at the low end. Note: little to be gained by richening (or leaning) the mixture at high RPM or throttle openings. There are a few maps out there and everyone's bike (and preferences) differ.

Personally, my '07 came with a PC III on it when I got it as a low mileage used bike. It also had Leo Vince cans and K&N filter. Swapped out the air filter early on - not convinced that they remove fine particulates as well and no performance gains to be had whatsoever. Got rid of the PC III after a year or so and immediately saw 20% improvement in fuel economy although I never really played with maps on it to see if I could do better. Original owner focused on trying to get more power. (I got used to the snatchy throttle after awhile but still sometimes found it annoying.) I even took the Leo Vince cans off after a couple years in favor of the OEM. Noisier than I liked and they were soon to need a repack.

You might try leaning out some of the PC III low RPM cells a bit and see if something like the G2 throttle tube will help compensate for the more abrupt throttle. Always a compromise!

I have a PC III - it has a map on it I think something with the pickles in the name and it is a smoothness map. I looked right after I bought the bike from another person (6 years ago). The bike was running perfect - it occurred to me that in the process of messing around with these things the bike might not run as well. I talked myself out of messing with that stuff. I put gas in it twist the thing on the right and smile a lot.

I guess I could have just said - I don't know how many miles to the gallon I get.

I have a PC III - it has a map on it I think something with the pickles in the name and it is a smoothness map. I looked right after I bought the bike from another person (6 years ago). The bike was running perfect - it occurred to me that in the process of messing around with these things the bike might not run as well. I talked myself out of messing with that stuff. I put gas in it twist the thing on the right and smile a lot.
I guess I could have just said - I don't know how many miles to the gallon I get.
UselessPickles created the Wally's smoothness map. He also did a version that was adapted for the PCV too.

I had to richen the off idle mixture on my 06 considerably with a PC3. It was the best thing I ever did. The sacrifice of 1 or 2 mpg was well worth the tremendous improvement in performance. My new one is a different story.

I'd like to ask the Brain Trust of the Forum about which one works best .I have a 2006 FJR w/a PC 3 & am currently using the 419-001 map .This is for Stock exh.,Stock air filter & 02 sensor disconnected. The bike runs fine & I have tried other maps ( such as Walley's smoothness map ). I just think that I could do better in the mileage department than what I have been getting ( currently about 38 ish ). To be honest, I have done the air filter box mod & have a K&N filter w/ Leo Vince slip ons. Hoping that there is a simple map change, so I don't need to have a custom map made. Thanks so much guys !
Do you have adjustment dials on that PC III?

I have a PC FC, (Power Commander Fuel Controller.) run the "stock" map, also have K&N, Leo Vince slip ons, and had the same issue, so I ended up leaning it out a little.

Better mileage, and it seems to run better.

eV5uBTv.jpg

I used a PC 3 on my 03 and my 07, on the 03 it didn't make a difference but cost me mileage {I mistakenly thought I could set it to get MORE mileage}, and in the case of the 07 it fixed the on/off "light switch" throttle problem but at the cost of several MPG so I removed it.

Just so you know, I put a G2 Aluminum Throttle Tamer, on my 07.

I finally fixed the problem by doing THIS:

https://www.fjrowner...-my-07-fjr.html

As far as the multiple PC 3 maps, I ended up using the 419-501 map. Some of the other maps fixed the on/off problem but were so rich that you ended up with a "dead" throttle and the motor "burbling" at all low RPM low THROTTLE settings.

If you like I can send you a picture of the "graph" where I listed all the maps I could get my hands on and compared them as to the RPM's they either ADDED TOO, or SUBTRACTED FROM the stock settings. Most of them added TOO MUCH fuel in the lower end and so I only tried one or two of them, I marked the one I used {419-501} and another one that was close to it 419-503 I called SECOND CHOICE at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Banjoboy, I don't have the fuel controller. Thanks to Philter, I actually have the G2 throttle tube & it has made a positive difference. I have downloaded the two maps that you have mentioned. I will give them a try in the spring. I have had the PC 3 on the bike since almost new & it has made a difference in the warm up & idle area. I hate to think that I spent the money on the unit ,only to have to remove it to make things better (mileage )- or to get a "Fuel Controller " to solve the issue. Or since I'm retired now, I don't do the commuting like I did. I could just fill it up & enjoy it. But changing the maps out will give me a project to shoot for ! Thanks to all for your tips !

Thanks Banjoboy, I don't have the fuel controller. Thanks to Philter, I actually have the G2 throttle tube & it has made a positive difference. I have downloaded the two maps that you have mentioned. I will give them a try in the spring. I have had the PC 3 on the bike since almost new & it has made a difference in the warm up & idle area. I hate to think that I spent the money on the unit ,only to have to remove it to make things better (mileage )- or to get a "Fuel Controller " to solve the issue. Or since I'm retired now, I don't do the commuting like I did. I could just fill it up & enjoy it. But changing the maps out will give me a project to shoot for ! Thanks to all for your tips !
Most likely you will have to go in and add fuel to the map when throttle is closed. That is where the stumble and abruptness occurs. Doesn't take much, it just keeps some fuel going when the throttle is closed.