Oregon to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRJeff

Reaction score
I'm currently in Santee (near San Diego) visiting a friend of mine. I have a newfound respect for my FJR (and my Rich's seat!) after two long days. First day was just shy of 700 miles, Portland to San Jose. Yesterday was another 500 or so - across 17 out to 1, then down the coast highway through Big Sur. The big "Oh SHIT!" moment came after rounding a turn on 1 to find myself fishtailing across a gravel area where they were doing road repair (this is low speed - maybe 20, maybe even less). Ever been on 1? It's a LONG drop to the water. I figured the bike and myself would never be heard from again. Applied a little back brake and she settled down for me, thank God.

So, two days, GPS says 1,210 miles. First day was 11 hours door to door, second was closer to 12, most of which was spent sitting in traffic jams. Saw a ton of FJRs out there tool. :bye:

I'm mulling doing a SS1K on the way back Monday, but I can't see anyway to get it done with the traffic the way it is around here. I'm going to slide out of Santee up the back door towards San Bernardino early to avoid LA, but once I scoot over to 5, I'll have the whole Bay Area, Big Sac mess to deal with. Once I'm north of there, it'd be gravy.

I'm currently in Santee (near San Diego) visiting a friend of mine. I have a newfound respect for my FJR (and my Rich's seat!) after two long days. First day was just shy of 700 miles, Portland to San Jose. Yesterday was another 500 or so - across 17 out to 1, then down the coast highway through Big Sur. The big "Oh SHIT!" moment came after rounding a turn on 1 to find myself fishtailing across a gravel area where they were doing road repair (this is low speed - maybe 20, maybe even less). Ever been on 1? It's a LONG drop to the water. I figured the bike and myself would never be heard from again. Applied a little back brake and she settled down for me, thank God.
So, two days, GPS says 1,210 miles. First day was 11 hours door to door, second was closer to 12, most of which was spent sitting in traffic jams. Saw a ton of FJRs out there tool. :bye:

I'm mulling doing a SS1K on the way back Monday, but I can't see anyway to get it done with the traffic the way it is around here. I'm going to slide out of Santee up the back door towards San Bernardino early to avoid LA, but once I scoot over to 5, I'll have the whole Bay Area, Big Sac mess to deal with. Once I'm north of there, it'd be gravy.
Glad to hear you're okay. Take some pics!

Start your SS1K from Bakersfield on I-5. You should be able to average 60 MPH, even with the mess from Tracy through Sac, but if you timed that juncture before 3 PM or after 6 PM.....North of Sac I-5 moves right along with trucks travelling @ 65, cars @ 75+.

Glad to hear you're okay. Take some pics!
You ever been down here? It's a DESERT! Unfit for human living. So hot.... :dribble:

It's the first time I've ever felt like I was actually riding through an oven.

We went over to the coast for a bit tonight - very pretty (and trophy women abound!). Going to do a little sight seeing tomorrow - Coronodo, and some other beach stuff to stay away from the heat.

Start your SS1K from Bakersfield on I-5. You should be able to average 60 MPH, even with the mess from Tracy through Sac, but if you timed that juncture before 3 PM or after 6 PM.....North of Sac I-5 moves right along with trucks travelling @ 65, cars @ 75+.
I have decided to move my attempt up one day, to Sunday. I'm going to try to head out of here around 5am, hopefully (HOPEFULLY) I can get through LA without too much traffic (I thoroughly enjoyed a 39 mile backup yesterday). With luck, Sunday will be significantly less crowded than a weekday. I should get a few hours of reasonable temps, then I have my cooling vest with me (although it's very humid).

What do you think? Sunday going to work out for me?

If the traffic moves, I should be able to do it. If I get stuck in traffic, the heat is just withering, and after being in it for a few days, my tolerance is fairly low.

Be careful! That Heat can make you fade out very quick. Stay near the coast for sure. This weekend is going to be the hottest of the Summer so far! Keep the water flowing too.

Be careful! That Heat can make you fade out very quick. Stay near the coast for sure. This weekend is going to be the hottest of the Summer so far! Keep the water flowing too.
+1!
I have a CamelBack in my tankbag. I'm going to grab some Propel too, I think to keep some electrolytes coming in. I also have my cooling vest with me. While it's not a phase change, it helps big time. I tried to find one of the next cuffs that does the cooling as well, but no love at the local stealers.

I'm hoping by getting out early I can make some reasonable progress. North of the Bay area, there seems to be a LOT of rest areas for me to wet down and recharge. <fingers crossed>

So, two days, GPS says 1,210 miles. First day was 11 hours door to door, second was closer to 12, most of which was spent sitting in traffic jams.
I'm mulling doing a SS1K on the way back Monday, but I can't see anyway to get it done with the traffic the way it is around here.
You already did 1200 in 23 hours, so it shouldn't ba a problem making it home. I'd stick to the coastal route. I-5 will be boring and HOT! Leave early, stay hydrated, keep the fuel stops brief and you should be fine. We made a heavily coastal travelled SS1K in under 23 hours on a Saturday with 31 stops and a run through the surface streets of San Francisco. With a little luck, you should only have to stop 5 or 6 times for fuel. You only have to maintain a 42 mph average to get it done. Piece o' cake!

You already did 1200 in 23 hours, so it shouldn't ba a problem making it home. I'd stick to the coastal route. I-5 will be boring and HOT! Leave early, stay hydrated, keep the fuel stops brief and you should be fine. We made a heavily coastal travelled SS1K in under 23 hours on a Saturday with 31 stops and a run through the surface streets of San Francisco. With a little luck, you should only have to stop 5 or 6 times for fuel. You only have to maintain a 42 mph average to get it done. Piece o' cake!
I'll post details tomorrow, but I did it!!

1100 miles in one day. SCORCHING temperatures forced long fuel breaks for me. Left Santee around 5:30am, and I'm home now at 12:30am.

Need to get my paperwork together and send it in now...

Good to be home

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you did I-5. Congratulations on your survival. How many hours were above 110 (degrees and mph combined)?
I was hitting 90 in Santee by 8 - 8:30am the days I was there, so I assume the better part of the day was spent > 100. I didn't stay long in Castaic, Firebaugh, or Redding, which were the 3 stops that broke 110.

I got little relief from the heat until almost 10pm. It cooled off when the sun went down, but it was still muggy and really warm. I had my mesh jacket on all the way home, and it's usually a little cool overnight in this part of Oregon (50s).

As for speed, my top speed was a disappointing 86.1. Overall average was 67.9, moving average 68.5.