Our first SS 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Sky

Dr. Gonzo
Reaction score
There has been a standing joke in our household that some morning I would announce to my wife that we were going to the Jersey Lilly in Ingomar (MT - 300 miles east)) for their famous beans.

Marilyn's 64th birthday was Sunday, June 14. On Thursday, I told her we were going to the Jersey Lilly on Saturday to celebrate. She was thrilled (okay, maybe that's an overstatement) but became downright hesitant when I added the stop in Ingomar would be part of our first Saddle Sore 1000. She prevaricated until Friday, then said, "Let's do it!" With very little prep (topped up tire pressures, checked the oil), we gathered our gear Friday night, rolled out of the sack at 4 a.m. Saturday and hit the road at 5:20 - 20 minutes later than I had hoped. Exactly 16 hours later - 9:20 p.m., nine miles east of Billings - we showed 1,000 more miles on the odo, and had 1,056 for the day when we stopped at our cabin in Columbus MT for the night. We mixed a cocktail, toasted our wonderful day, then slept like the dead.

I told Marilyn I was happy to be married to a woman with such spunk and grit. She actually enjoyed the ride immensely, as did I. Montana in mid-June is stunningly beautiful. With intent we rode mostly the rugged hill country, badlands and plains of north central, east central and south central Montana. The grass is tall and emerald green. The cattle and horses are fat and sleek and happy. The roads were almost empty. When most think of Montana, they think the mountainous (far more crowded) western one-third. Too bad... The rest is every bit as gorgeous...at this time of year.

The temps were blessedly cool - mostly 60s and 70s, though we did see 80 at Ashland. It was 37 when we pulled out and was quite chilly over Kings Hill and even to Fort Benton. Had it been 80s-90s all day, I'm not sure we could have done it.

We saw three HP in the morning and one tribal officer, no more the rest of the day. The tribal LEO was cool: as I roared up behind him, he flicked on his lights to let me know I needed to cool it. We ran a lot of 85-95 and I saw just over 100 once. Before I get flamed, these are roads where you can see miles into the distance: no traffic, no critters.

Fuel mileage was poor - about 35 mpg. We would run the speed up after topping a hill and seeing all clear, then drop it down below 80 ($20, no points) as we started an ascent, not knowing what might be lurking over the crest, then would jam it on again - a very inefficient way to ride, but no tickets, no close calls whatsoever. Fuel stops were also inefficient. Sometimes, at just 150 miles on a fill, we'd have to refill because the next fuel was 75 miles further. At the rate we were sucking gas, that was too close for comfort. Marilyn said she was glad I had her at pillion rather than an auxiliary fuel cell. But she said the Beowulf cans have to go (I agree).

The FJR never even had to breathe hard. What a machine! It just devours the miles, mile after mile. A Gen I (my third) with comfort items Cee Baily, Russell Day-Long, risers, heated grips with Grip Puppies. That's it. I did add some damping at the shock en route. We stayed well hydrated and suffered very little fatigue or pain.

For those who know Montana (or are interested), we started in Butte, rode to Three Forks, Townsend, White Sulphur Springs, Belt, Ft. Benton, Havre, Ft. Belknap, Roundup, Ingomar (the bean soup at the Jersey Lilly is deservedly famous and their burgers are good, too), Forsyth, Miles City, Broadus, Ashland, Hardin, then east toward Sarpy Creek, then north to I-90 at Hysham, then west through Billings to Columbus "and into the barn." That little seconday from Hardin to Hysham was new to us and incredibly scenic - very rugged - southern Hysham Hills? Only about 150 miles of four-lane, the rest rural two-lane.

Will we do an SS 1000 again? Not unless we have to. Now checked off the bucket list...

Congrats on checking that one off the list. My SO and I have yet to complete one officially but want to try to fit it in yet this year. Send your paperwork in and add your IBA number to your sig line!

Sounds like you two had a good time and if anything like my ex and I, neither of us would have complete the SS1k alone with riding 2-up made it an experience of a lifetime. Congrats!

You had me with this....

There has been a standing joke in our household that some morning I would announce to my wife that we were going to the Jersey Lilly in Ingomar (MT - 300 miles east)) for their famous beans.
Since, you know, my SS1000 involved a trip for beans (ok, the beans were the side to the pulled pork but they were darn good) so I had to check this out. Congrats, and even better for doing it two up.

Congrats Big Sky. When I'm older and have a lot more time on my hands, this will be on my (now RDL enhanced) ride list.

Sounds like you two had a good time and if anything like my ex and I, neither of us would have complete the SS1k alone with riding 2-up made it an experience of a lifetime. Congrats!
A Scooby-doo-ish.... ugh?

Very good stuff. I can't get SWMBO to roll more than a couple hundred miles. Not that we'd try an IBA ride anyway. BION - she likes the stock seat on the gen III better than the Laaam seat on the Gen I

"... but we did see 80 (degrees) in Ashland...."

Oh you poor dear - it was 79 at 6:15 this morning. With 80% humidity.

What's the speed limit in Montana on the rural two-lane highways? I had a neighbor from Montana once and he told me that same thing - the LEO wouldn't bother you much, but if you were running more than 20 over, they'd just flash their lights at you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments.

We didn't bother with any documentation. I did photograph my odo when we left and when we hit 1,000. This was for our personal gratification (we don't need no stinking certificate or patches).

It was fun doing the time-distance calculations (they taught us arithmetic way back when I went to school). Early on we built a 20-minute margin on the required pace (62.5 mph average) and maintained that most of the day. I figured we should do it in 16 hours to assure it was all in daylight. A small miscalculation toward the end meant we ran 1,056 miles and did about 45 minutes in the dark.

The Jersey Lilly is literally in the middle of nowhere. You have to ride about 1/4th mile of gravel to get to it - founded in 1947 by a retired Navy cook who had this wonderful recipe for beans. Actually, they call it bean soup on the menu but it's way more beans than soup. They bring you a kettle with a ladle and some bowls and you eat your fill. Ingomar has I think 11 full-time residents and two seasonal (got this info from the menu).

When I was in Ashland last summer, it was 100 degrees. We have had a very cool spring and early summer.

Speed limit on the backroads is 70 mph. If you are at 80 or under, it's a $20 ticket, no points. Most troopers won't bother to stop you but may flick on their lights. Interstate is 75, so at 85 or under, $20, no points. Again, HP won't even tap their brakes. However, the Leg is going to allow some 80 mph speeds on Interstate, but 90 or under will go to $40, no points. Over 90 will be bona fide speeding and that I think will be $150!

Wish my last few tickets had been $150.
sad.png

Congrats on the ride...I must say I think it would be a tougher job for the passenger than the rider to get through it.

Good info on the speeding laws in MT also--

On my SS1000 last summer I hit my last gas stop in Truth or Consequences NM 120 miles from the end of my ride in El Paso, ready to be done. As I get on I-25 I end up following a NM state trooper right down the on-ramp, I'm thinking here we go, 5 under the whole rest of the way, he goes maybe 1/4 mile and flips a U to get someone going the other way. Watching him turn around was a highlight!

You know what they say--red while a blue are the colors of freedom, unless they're flashing in your rear-view....

I think Montana has excellent speeding laws!!!
We liked the old "reasonable and prudent" days before "55: It's not just a good idea, it's the law" of the Jimmy Carter reign. People had more common sense back then: drivers, troopers, judges. We practiced "personal responsibility," a quaint notion. 90-95 in a well equipped vehicle with an unimpaired driver indeed was/is "reasonable and prudent" on the four-lane out in the middle of Custer Country. Drivers knew the "definition" and troopers and judges knew it, too. No, 125 was NOT reasonable and prudent! After "55" we reverted to "reasonable and prudent" but the press played it up as "no speed limit." Sure and every out-of-state knuckle dragger with a hot Camaro was trying to cross the state at 120 mph. Something had to be done. What we have we can live with and have now for about two decades.

And, Spud, I agree, re: the passenger having it tougher. But once she commits, she believes in no whining! I think she was awed by the scenery and some new roads she had not seen before, Ft. Belknap to Roundup for example along the Little Rockies. Just splendid! We were through four reservations. The First Peoples still have a reverence for good horseflesh and those lush pastures filled with good horses was surreal.

Congratulations, Big Sky; and I, too, understand about not needing the piece of paper.

When I read the first post, and having met Cole in person, somehow I knew you didn't document the ride. To that, I can relate! :thumbsup:

When I read the first post, and having met Cole in person, somehow I knew you didn't document the ride. To that, I can relate!
thumbsup.gif
It's nice to get one documented though :)

I made a rule, partly because the Certs are not cheap ... I would only add a Certificate if it was an improvement on the last one. So I have 1 x SS1000 and 1 x BBG. I have done a couple of In-State SS1000s and an SS2000, but I figured the BBG out-ranked them :D

Next Certs will probably be SS5000 (7000 if they let me) and the 48/10

It keeps the cost down and I can only carry one plate backer at a time.

I have done a couple of undocumented SS1000's just to know I can do it. They can keep the certificate. Doesn't matter to me. It was for my own personal satifaction. I hope to do C2C someday but that will have to wait.

Dave

Congrats to you and the Mrs. on the ride! A few years ago I rode up to Livingston Montana to visit my nephew. Beautiful country and will ride up that way again.

The temp here today was 114!
shok.gif
It was over 90 at 9:00 a.m. this morning. I won't be doing a SS1000 anytime soon in AZ. I would like to try one in the fall.