Painted mirror wideners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigslim

Reaction score
Like many here I have grown weary of looking at my elbows and forearms in the mirrors. I know many have gone to the FZ1 mirrors but personally I like the look of the FJR mirrors and wanted to keep them. I found the SW-MOTECH mirror wideners on twisted throttle but thought they would look terrible in that dark gray/black color on my silver 2010.

Reading around on the forum I discovered Garauld is the go to guy for getting anything painted, so I ordered a set of the wideners and shipped them directly to him. He was very responsive and very reasonable at only $25 to have them painted.

Thought I would post some pictures for anybody contemplating doing the same thing. First I took some pictures with only one installed to show the difference between stock and with the widener.

Front view

DSCF0500.jpg

View from the saddle

DSCF0506.jpg

Some close ups of how the wideners look

DSCF0509.jpg

DSCF0511.jpg

Here is the finished product with both wideners installed

DSCF0510.jpg

Did those help appreciably with the view?

Thanks for posting the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks a little bionic but nicely done, hope it helps. I think the FZ1 mirrors would look good also. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a FZ1 mirror fan, but I likey those. Maybe a little bionic, but I don't think that many people would even notice.

GP

I have these and yes, they definitely helped me. There is noticeably less elbow and more rear/side view in the mirrors. How much they help probably depends a bit on how far forward or rearward you sit in the seat and how tall you are.

Mine were actually the very first set of these mirror wideners that came into the US through Twisted Throttle in October 2010. I found them on SW Motech's site in Germany. That was August and they were not yet released, awaiting TUV approval so I asked Twisted Throttle to pre-order them. That took a couple of months until they were approved and arrived in the US. In my case it was worth the wait. Honestly, I never thought to paint them since I have a '08 and the dark gray/black looks good with Raven. They appear to be machined from blocks of Nylon or Delrin and fit perfectly.

I was seriously considering these extenders, however, I noticed my stock mirrors had some vibration and thought adding the extenders would only increase the vibration. I went with the FZ1 mirrors and it eliminated the vibration and the rear vision is perfect. No painting needed. Just be careful when splitting lanes as they are out there much farther than OEM mirrors!!

I have the mirror wideners and the difference is night and day. I did not paint mine but so far no one has noticed them, so I think I will live with them being black instead of color matched.

I went for a ride yesterday and yes they do absolutely help. Having them wider allows you to turn them in a bit more and actually see behind you as opposed to out to the side and back. FYI, I'm a big guy 6'5" and 250.

I didn't notice it when I took the picture but look at the view from the saddle pic. In the stock mirror you can see my elbow from leaning back and taking the pic, I'm wearing a blue/grey flannel. I was centered on the bike when I took that picture, you don't see me in the right mirror with the widener.

Art Miller, there is no new vibration with these installed. That said I didn't have a vibration in the first place. I had originally posted here suspecting perhaps your stock mirrors were loose and suggested it would be worth your time to tighten them, but then the rest of your post sunk in and I see you already replaced with FZ1 mirrors.

Last edited by a moderator:
I made some these a few years ago. I used a resin and wrapped mine in carbon fibre. 50mm or 2" will give you a very good rear view. I knew I should of gone into production. I could of been a billionaire by now :)

I have the mirror wideners and the difference is night and day. I did not paint mine but so far no one has noticed them, so I think I will live with them being black instead of color matched.
"night and day" ??

I've played around quite a bit with extending the mirrors. <Link>

For me, the difference wasn't worth leaving them on the bike and sure as hell not worth embarrassing myself by trying to sell them.

In my opinion, save your money.

Ride faster. You won't need the mirrors so much.

"night and day" ??

I've played around quite a bit with extending the mirrors. <Link>

For me, the difference wasn't worth leaving them on the bike and sure as hell not worth embarrassing myself by trying to sell them.

In my opinion, save your money.

Ride faster. You won't need the mirrors so much.
Each to his own, for me they made a world of difference and as I have the best blue color every made (06/12) :) the black even blends in!

>Does one need to remove the fairings to install these??

No, no painted outer fairings. You need to remove those inner black plastic covers ...not sure what to call them. The 'glove compartment' is in the left one, battery is under the right one.

>Does one need to remove the fairings to install these??
No, no painted outer fairings. You need to remove those inner black plastic covers ...not sure what to call them. The 'glove compartment' is in the left one, battery is under the right one.

The 'A' and 'D' panel. (Per Yamaha)