Passing Multiple Cars

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because they have so much trouble making "wreckless" stick...
I've been "Wrecklees" for many years now, and I'm pretty proud of my Wreckless record. I also haven't been convicted of an infraction for 25+ years, a great record in anybody's book!

Or did you mean "Reckless"?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you on that one. I just wasted 30 mins on various web sites trying to find that citation or something like it. "Reckless Driving" is a catchall.
Nope...That's CARELESS. Careless driving is what we use when there is no specific violation for driving without common sense. IE: Running your own car off the road while looking for a CD on the floor = Careless. Texting while driving = Careless (unless specifically covered by an ordinance or statute). Running an oncoming car off an unstriped, paved or dirt road = Careless; because there are no lanes and therefore no lane violation. Careless is much easier to prove than Reckless.

Reckless is defined as has having a "Wanton and willful disregard for life or property." (That may not be exact as it is off the top of my head because I am to lazy to go get my statute book out of my trunk). Basically a person doing donuts in a crowed parking lot is Reckless. A person losing traction at a stop light and hitting a pole might only be careless. Passing more than one car at a time is probably not reckless unless someone deliberately does it with oncoming cars and intentionally causes a hazard to other drivers. If the pass caused someone to have to swerve or brake to avoid a collision as a result of the pass, I would cite for "improper passing on the left." That would stick much better than careless and especially reckelss.

The beauty of this system is that we can cite for just about anything we feel is appropriate, but then we have to get it past a judge. Sometimes that's the bummer of this system too; depending on which side of the citation you are on. Many of us try very hard not to be chicken-shit because we have reputations to uphold and would not want the same fate to fall upon us.

Last edited by a moderator:
All this discussion is exactly why FJR's should be outlawed and only Harley's be allowed on the road! :rolleyes: