Pet Trailer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmurphy

Reaction score
My New Pet Hauler!

P1070158.jpg

Note:

Bushtec Spartan Utility Trailer and Modified Veri Kennel.

I put deflectors on the pipes and added a two way vent, a solar vent that charged a battery used when we park in the shade and go into a restaurant, closed off the front part of the windows like the wags pet trailer suggest, included a utility bag to hold pans water, leashes food etc.. the wood is oak and 1/4" alum. clad plywood like sign makers use. Pulling the trailer I didn't even feel a wiggle or anything. Pulled like it wasn't there, even braking I couldn't tell much difference at all, those race brakes handle it fine.

Trailer Weight: 110#

Modified Vari-Kennel: 38#

Dog: 55#

Misc: 7#

Total: 210#

Trailer and Cargo Max GVW:350#

Cool setup! Now, you just need to hook the dog up with a scala rider so he can tell you when he needs you to pull of so he can take a leak! :lol:

That is very nicely done! I would love to see some more detailed photos of your excellent craftsmanship.

Could you take some close-ups of the covers and other details, hitch, etc. you have fabricated?

I am hiding this thread from my Husky, Chinook for the time being, but I can see a potential for a very nice upgrade to our "Quality of Life" issues now that I am retired and would love to take him on the road with me instead of having to leave him at the kennel.

Thanks in advance for your efforts at providing more information!

Don

OK!

Heres more pics of Ruger's Ride!

The Brat I haul in the trailer is "Ruger" Welsh Springer Spaniel. 55 lbs.

The Hitch was made by Bushtec they have newer years in stock, my fjr is a 2004.

The Veri Kennel was going to be a temporary dog box until November when I could get the custom size dog box built, like this one

https://bittercreekhunting.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/f191836309c86dc7b3bf0418ef0dc524.jpg

Its pricey and weighs in at approx 125-150 lbs. depending on if you fill the space and add insulation etc. I think it can be made 40 lbs. lighter using thiner Diamond Plate and adding 1" angle to stiffen it, you loose two inches inside with 1" insulation. the max inside cargo width of the spartan is approximately 20.5"wide x 41"long x 10"high. Dog Box inside width would be approx. 18" thats the same as the foot print now of the Veri Kennel 18" x 31" at the base. The thing that bothers me is the weight I'll have to see if Forest with bittercreekhunting.com can reduce the weight. I think it would be a good looking and more durable pet trailer.

P1000556.jpg

P1070176-1.jpg

P1070178-1.jpg

P1070181-1.jpg

P1070190.jpg

P1070195.jpg

P1070196.jpg

P1070203.jpg

https://bittercreekhunting.com/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/f191836309c86dc7b3bf0418ef0dc524.jpg

That is really close to what I was planning to build for my dog prior to my having to put her down :'(

I haven't found a new 'best friend' yet and am putting it off to enjoy the freedom of not having to make arrangements when I head out on overnight trips. I'm sure there'll come a day when I have to have another dog and I'll be looking at something like this again! Great work and keep us posted on upgrades!

Edit: That BushTec Spartan wasn't around when I was looking at this. If it had, I'm sure I'd have a pet hauler in my garage... and maybe even a new 'best friend' in my life. What an awesome deal for something of that quality and perfect for this application! I think I may just have to get one anyway!
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the photos !

Ruger's gorgeous AND a lucky guy :D

FJRGuy - do it ! do it! do it ! :lol:

Looking to do something very similar thanks for the idea.

Yeah, but that crate looks a little small for your three dogs... Of course where there is a will there is a way ;)

EDIT: mmurphy - awesome trailer set up!

Great idea and nice execution. :thumbsup:

One tip for you would be to try reversing that pop-up vent you installed in the roof of the Vari-kennel. That way you could leave it open in the rain and it won't scoop water inside. The low pressure formed behind the flipped up lid will draw warm air air out the top and exhaust it more efficiently than trying to ram air in the front side.

PS - My sister (a real dog nut) has a Welsh named Maggie (as in Maggie Mae). She's shown her a few times and she has done quite well, though she is still pretty young. On a decent pace toward her AKC championship. They are a very pretty breed, for sure.

Good grief.....you and Marcusorelias might want to get together and form a company, you could call it MMM Pet Transporters or MPET or something. If I needed something like that I'd call ya!

Great idea and nice execution. :thumbsup:

One tip for you would be to try reversing that pop-up vent you installed in the roof of the Vari-kennel. That way you could leave it open in the rain and it won't scoop water inside. The low pressure formed behind the flipped up lid will draw warm air air out the top and exhaust it more efficiently than trying to ram air in the front side.

PS - My sister (a real dog nut) has a Welsh named Maggie (as in Maggie Mae). She's shown her a few times and she has done quite well, though she is still pretty young. On a decent pace toward her AKC championship. They are a very pretty breed, for sure.
Thanks for the suggestion, I haven't found a good solution for venting yet. The other day I flipped the two way vent the other way, it started to rain and the bike was throwing a rooster tail, no water got in the box. I'm trying to talk my wifey into riding in the box on a deserted highway for testing and try the different venting options so she could explain the differences and I would also like to now about wind buffeting at highway speeds.