Phantom Blue Matte Paint encounter

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great stuff. Just finding this thread and catching up.

Just completed break in on my 18' today; and will use the tips to take off the stickers.

Much Farkling to be done.

Never used aux lights, but those look sweet....

Hope more gets put up before ......

@Warchild, Congrats,
specool.gif
when you get a chance can you take some pictures of it in bright sunlight?

Besides paint, can you see any other differences for 2018?

Thx

For those who like to keep your Phantom Matte Blue clean I've looked up a couple of products that don't look too expensive;

https://www.goldeagle.com/product/303-aerospace-protectant/

https://www.chemicalguys.com/searchresults.asp?Search=matte+&Submit=
Thanks for sharing.

I picked up the Harley spray code named "Denim". I did see the chemical guys youtube video on a super fancy car; had forgotten about it.

May be the ticket to put the protectant on in this Texas heat.

There does however appear to be a difference of approach. Some say wash with water and use protectant every couple months. Chem guys have a entire kit.

THANKS, ALEX!
punk.gif

BagInDaylight.jpg

BagInFlash.jpg
Tried searching ebay for that FJR in blue for the rear decal reflectors.

All I have been able to find are the FJR in silver and emblem symbol in blue.

Where did you find the one's you have with just FJR in blue?
https://blackhillsmoto.com/ Alex will have just what your looking for.

And to help you spend some more $ the new Shoei Neotec 2 has a helmet that matches the bike.
10 degrees this morning guess Ill ride up there when it warms up only 50 miles away

Shyeah, I dunno if my Whore LEDS will stay or not, but they are fun to play with. The challenge is to light up the road beneath you *without* exposing to LEDs to the bystander's eye.

Which means they need to be recessed, and point straight down to the road below them. Mounting them is challenging.

The indoor garage shot above is deceptive, there is not *that* much blue glow that the camera would suggest.

But is is a fair number of individual LEDs. There are 18 LEDs in the nose area, 36 LEDS on the underside of the swingarm, an additional 36 LEDs in the rear wheel well.

The Whore LEDS are controlled by toggle switch - they are not running constantly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought about spreading them out, but I'll just leave these here in one lump as the greatest hits I just had with Warchild on IM this morning:

• I understand you were titanium-curious, but this was an odd turn my friend. I sure hope you don't go full Fast and Furious 6 on us.
  • What model car tire are you putting on next? Does that come before or after the extended swing arm?
  • "You shall not LED with your FJR as with a sport bike; it is a squidly abomination." Leviticus 18:22
  • I'm going to go watch Facebook cats feeds now. I feel a tad nauseous.

I thought about spreading them out, but I'll just leave these here in one lump as the greatest hits I just had with Warchild on IM this morning:

• I understand you were titanium-curious, but this was an odd turn my friend. I sure hope you don't go full Fast and Furious 6 on us.
  • What model car tire are you putting on next? Does that come before or after the extended swing arm?
  • "You shall not LED with your FJR as with a sport bike; it is a squidly abomination." Leviticus 18:22
  • I'm going to go watch Facebook cats feeds now. I feel a tad nauseous.

Please don't make me post photos of your old blue FJR with the Canary Yellow metal bits that you powder-coated all over the bike.

That way, I won't be compelled to mention how coincidental it is that Canary Yellow is the preferred vehicle color choice among the LGBT community.

NTTAWWT.
weirdsmiley.gif

Do the f/indicators on U.S. bikes also serve as running lamps?
Yes, they do. They are lit whenever the ignition is on.

They are DOT-mandated here.... England doesn't have mandatory running lights?
They are separate from, and independent of, the indicators. On motorcycles, headlights must be on, I don't think other front running lights are mandated, but I could be wrong.

The running lights on your bike are I would wager identical to mine. They are also broadly pointless, in that the headlamps are on permanently anyway. Cars have to have DRLs too, but as @mcatrophy described they are always separate from and independent of the indicators.

I like the idea of the extra lights at the front for visibility. I've been browsing for additional lamps and it occurred that Uncle Sam's indicators might be a shoe-in. Though that depends on whether they can be changed from amber.

I'm going to add my vote against the fugly matte finish on the '18's. How bad do I think it is? I'm trying to run down a new '17 ES instead of an '18. It's that bad.

^^^^^ Had the same issue when I bought mine. Will not own a red motorcycle (2014 FJR), but couldn't find a good 2013. Waited six months and got a 2015 before they uncrated it. Haven't regretted it for a minute since I took possession.

Can't tell about the matte blue until I see it in person. Warchild, you headed to EOM or SFO?

I'm going to add my vote against the fugly matte finish on the '18's. How bad do I think it is? I'm trying to run down a new '17 ES instead of an '18. It's that bad.
I was sceptical of the matte because you just know that nonstandard finishes and flamboyant colours will only ever date badly. I didn't take to the matte blue but the silver is... basically "really silver". From a slight distance it looks almost white. It cleans up just fine and is... like I say, just really silver.

If you've been putting off even looking at a particular bike because of its paint, I'd encourage you to put preconceptions to one side and go eyeball it.