Picked Up # 424 Saturday 3-2

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayke

Reaction score
I picked up my ’13 FJR Saturday and traded in my ’08 C14.

To give you an idea how popular the ’13 FJR is, I ordered it within 2 hours of the ’13 FJR’s being released. My dealer was not allocated one and they were all gone when he tried to order one when we hung up. My bike is from the second batch of FJR's.

First impressions:

The windshield is too short

The handlebars are too low

The seat is too hard

It’s a little buzzy 75 MPH and up

Other than that it’s great………..
smile.png

Actually I’m really impressed, I had forgotten how precise and well- built Yamaha’s feel. The build quality is excellent.

Biggest surprise is the Drive Mode function. There is a huge difference between Sport and Touring modes. Yet both are perfect for the application. I’ll use Sport mode when I’m out chasing corners. Touring mode in town and riding with the wife.

The new suspension is a lot better than I remember from my ’05 FJR and I haven’t touched it yet. I don’t think I’ll have a ground clearance issue with the ’13 like I did with the ’05.

The adjustable seat, though not a new feature is a great idea. I’m 6’5” the extra inch of legroom really helps.

The cruise works great.

As far as solutions to my first Impressions:

I really like the new windshield; it’s fairly quiet with no back pressure. Looks good too. It’s just too small for somebody my size with the seat in the high position. I’m going to see is If can order the factory tall Yamaha shield tomorrow.

I knew the handlebars were too low when I ordered it. I have a set of risers to put on when it warms up. It’s my age, not the bike that’s the problem.

The new seat is an improvement over the splintered plank I remember on my ’05 FJR. As far as stock seats go, it’s ok for now. Might go with a dual Day Long next winter.

Just a hint of vibration 75 MPH and up. Not a biggie but noticeable coming from my smooth as glass C14 at the same speed.

You suck. Congrats on the new FJR. Bastard.

Not that I am jealous or anything. I wouldn't want one anyways. Not with that POS cruise control limited to 80mph actual. Nope. Not me. You couldn't give me one. Honest.............

Have not spent a lot of miles on the C14, but I will say one of it's high points is its totally smooth driveline. (Engine/transmission/shaft drive) FJR engineers could learn some lessons here from the C14.

As for windscreen, you can do much better than Yamaha's touring version imho. Check out the other aftermarket screen manufacturers. Not sure which one's have screens for the '13 available as of yet. I know there was at least one.

Here was my review of the '13: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150358-a-gen-i-haters-ride-impressions-of-the-2013-fjr1300/

Last edited by a moderator:
First impressions:
The windshield is too short
Agree for us taller riders especially
The handlebars are too low
Easy add-on of a set of risers
The seat is too hard
Most everybody's complaint
It’s a little buzzy 75 MPH and up
Wait till she's broke-in and a couple of oil changes, it gets a bit better

:)
Congrats!

Ah, block II fjr, eh? These are the ones that have the fixed cruise control, correct? They can be set at 84 MPH with no problems?

Good to see that some things haven't changed IE,first impressions.

Let's see whats in order,

Cee Bailey's windshield 4x4 taller and wider.

Heli Bar Riser

Corbin,Russell,and or Bill Meyer seat.

Buss,get use to it.

Congrats on the new ride...................

I put the Yamaha Touring screen on my 2013 and it is a few inches taller and just a smidge wider. I liked it for the chillier weather we've been getting here. It will definitely block more crud during inclement weather because I can now easily tuck in behind the screen. FWIW, I'm just at 6' and 32" inseam.

Not with that POS cruise control limited to 80mph actual.
Had a test drive on one today. Nice!
Cruise is simple & easy to use. Goes well over 80 here, must be for the Autobahns. Modes are easy to flick between esp if you want to tootle along then blast past an 18 wheeler.

Just gotta come up with the readies now. Hmmmm...

The helmet is a Shoei RF-1100 in Brilliant Yellow. Flows a lot of air if you don’t have your head behind a windshield.

Thanks for the link to the windshield posts but I already decided on the Yamaha +4 Touring windshield. I really like the looks of the stock windshield and the way it wraps around towards you. The Touring windshield looks similar just a little bigger. I ordered it today and might have it by the weekend. I've been a fan of Cal Sci windshields in the past but don’t see the need this time.

Since I bought the RF-1100, my opinion on tall & wide windshields has changed. I’d rather have my head in open air for the ventilation and wear ear plugs for the wind noise. I could never find a quiet windshield / helmet combination anyway.

You are a tall one, aren't you jayke? You kinda make that beautiful bike look a little like a beautiful mini-bike!
winksmiley02.gif

Congrats on the new ride.

G.