Pictures of Tank bags on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkipS

Reaction score
New tank bag time. Anyone have a pic of either the Cortech super 2.0 either 18 or 12 litre or the Givi XS 307? I think I have it narrowed down to these two and possibly one or two more and would love to see how they actually look on the FJR

I don't have a pic but I didn't like the Givi - it hung too far off the back of the tank and looked strange. Replaced with a Bags Connection City. As a bonus, the Bags Connection GS (from my GSA) fits perfectly when I need a larger bag.

I've got the Givi XS307 and TWICE now, the zipper broke. Givi replaced it twice under warranty, and so far, the 3rd time is the charm. As far as I can tell, the 2nd replacement uses the same zipper design and material, but I can't be certain that they didn't do something to fix it. All I know is - so far, so good. Very unusual for Givi to have any problem, let alone a repeated one for me.

I used the underside pre-drilled screw holes to move the tank bag a little bit backward to allow for my GPS (rambone mount) but in doing so, occasionally when I cock the handlebar all the way left, the bag will sound the horn. That always gets me lots of "STFU" looks.

I'm never going back to a magnetic tank bag, but before I get the next one, I'll be looking at other options.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a Cortech Dryver with the mounting ring, and I REALLY hated it, for at least three real good reasons which I won't bother going into, but based on that, I definitely recommend going with the Givi if those are your options. Different model bag, I know, but my complaints about the Dryver bag were based on both poor design and really really shitty construction, so Cortech is dead to me forever. And it was overpriced, too. (Don't forget the extra $30 plus for the mounting ring. Sold separately.)
angry01.gif

Since I already have a larger expandable bag for long trips I didn't want to spend that much on my second tank bag. I like some of the features on the 12.litre Cortech and it was priced in my budget so After seeing a few pictures of one on a FJR, I ordered one this AM. Thanks For all the input!

I've been using Eclipse tank bags since 1975- the first one went on my BSA. US-made, far longer lasting than anything else I've seen up close, and made by a real guy. Albeit, a bit retro on the ordering thing.

Eclipse%20on%20FJR.jpg

I've been using Eclipse tank bags since 1975- the first one went on my BSA. US-made, far longer lasting than anything else I've seen up close, and made by a real guy. Albeit, a bit retro on the ordering thing.
Eclipse%20on%20FJR.jpg
where did you purchase this tankbag from?

can't seem to find it online.

thanks...

I had the magnetic version of the Eclipse Elite bag and it went for years and over 100K miles. Bought it at a moto show in Seattle and cannot say anything bad about it.

I've got the Cortech bag. I'll try to get a photo of it on the bike as soon as I can get some light to do it. It's still fucking winter around here.

New tank bag time. Anyone have a pic of either the Cortech super 2.0 either 18 or 12 litre or the Givi XS 307? I think I have it narrowed down to these two and possibly one or two more and would love to see how they actually look on the FJR
Just get the Cortech 2.0 18L. Then you can concentrate on what exhaust to get.

All of the tank bags I've seen so far, Givi, Eclipse, etc. have one big compartment. The bag on my BMW K1200RS has two layers/compartments. I put the stuff used regularly (paperwork, EZPass, glasses, ear plug carrier, etc., etc.) up top, and things like bungie cords, air pump, Dynaplug kit, etc. in the basement.

The reason why I don't just move to my '17 is the bag is specifically for the KRS. The front strap tab can go under the two screws for the tank. The problem is the back end has a metal strap designed to be held by screws holding the gas tank in place. I don't see any obvious place to anchor the back (fabric) strap. Is there something I can use for this purpose?

Not so with the various Eclipse units. The Sportpack, the version I tend to prefer for my ZX1100E (which then goes over to the FJR on those Yamaha days) has a second, upper section that expands, which then has a subsection on the upper layer for maps and so forth. Plus there are slim side pockets I use for earplugs, shield cleaning supplies, garage door opener, and the like.

The Standard has two large side pockets, perhaps not so useful for papers. He had another version that had another vertical layer I think, but memory fails at the moment.

There's a strap that goes under the headstock with buckles on both ends that are adjustable. They are loosely tied together at the front of the tank with a rubber strap, so the ends don't fall down into the fairing.

Then there's a single buckle strap that goes under the front of the seat, loops up and both ends of the strap go through the buckle. On most bikes, it gets a little snug between the tank and seat nose, but it works.

I also tie my jacket liner plug to the rear strap with a zip tie, which is handy.

The neoprene tank protector loops to the bag's buckles and stays with the bag. At least, that's the way I've always done it.

To fuel up, the front buckles are released and the bag is pivoted around the rear one and sits on the seat.

I think most of that should be visible in the photo above, and if not, I can get a better angle photo later.