Planning a Canada Ride w/Friends next August - Recommendations?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLS

Reaction score
So there's a group of at least 6 of us (3 bikes) planning on a MN to Canada, around Lake Superior and back home trip next August.

I have a 2008 FJR that is basically bone stock.

I'm looking for opinions on acccessories I need to add this winter/spring to prepare for the ride.

I'm sure we'll do some night riding at points, and I honestly don't know if we're camping or motel/hoteling it or not. We're early in the planning stages.

I also know one of the guys is newer and his bike only has about a 2.5 gallon fuel tank (and I'm told there's some long stretches between fueling locations).

I've never done a extended trip like this, so any recommendations from those who have done longer trips is much appreciated.

My planned list:

FJR Dashboard and probably a GPS....which one and why?

LED lights? I'd really like to add some super bright lights, but I'd like it to look clean.

I'm thinking about adding an exhaust solely for the purpose of allowing others to hear me...right now I'm so quiet other riders don't know when I'm right next to them. Which ones and why?

I don't have a tank bag. Necessary? Storage is going to be at a premium, so ideas here are MUCH welcomed.

Mirrors?

What else am I missing? What items should I pack? How can I add additional storage capabilities?

ETA: Seat? Heated Grips/Seat? MV Handlebar risers? (My throttle wrist ALWAYS gets cramped up from the odd angle)

473652_10151120825677533_534895532_o.jpg

334118_10151141246292533_1573973440_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna see a picture of the bike with the 2.5 gallon tank.

That would be a no go for me to ride with them...but maybe he will bring aux gas cans, so maybe it won't be so bad...

How many miles you travelling a day? How long will you be gone for?

I wouldn't get a lot of LD accessories for comfort if you're only going 250 miles in a day...the other guys may be dying from seat pain before you get seat pain on your stock seat....depending on what THEY are riding. :D

Ahh...I remember getting ready for my first long ride. Now I've kind of got it down to a science that works for me. You need a passport. Don't bring too many clothes--I use the little "tide" packs and can do laundry in a sink or bathtub--let them dry overnight. Minimize toiletries. Leave room for raingear. Leave some extra space in your bags to make room for gear you shed when it's hot. Bike needs no mods for 250 mile days....

2012 was my first year on an FJR and my first year of 'serious' touring. As I am now retired, I intend to do a lot more in 2013. So, as a 'touring newbie' here's my .02 cents (CAD .025) worth.

+1 to everything Spud says.

Never thought I'd need GPS - now I don't leave home without it. When in Canada, you can use it as a speedometer.

A tank bag is very handy for quick access to your passport, camera, toiletries etc, plus you can easily take it with you when you go for a meal, leaving your other stuff safely locked up.

Leave your exhaust stock. Get a Bluetooth headset to communicate with your buddies (they will need the same of course).

My headlights are stock and perform brilliantly (sorry, couldn't resist that!), but there is a lot of info on this forum on aux. lighting.

Are your mirrors a problem? If so, again, lots of info here on replacements or extenders.

I had my stock seat rebuilt with orthopedic foam locally, it works for me. Others swear by aftermarket seats.

Rode the first couple months with stock bars, then added risers. Really helped my arthritic shoulders.

Hope this helps?

Al.
cold.gif

I wanna see a picture of the bike with the 2.5 gallon tank.

That would be a no go for me to ride with them...but maybe he will bring aux gas cans, so maybe it won't be so bad...

How many miles you travelling a day? How long will you be gone for?

I wouldn't get a lot of LD accessories for comfort if you're only going 250 miles in a day...the other guys may be dying from seat pain before you get seat pain on your stock seat....depending on what THEY are riding.
biggrin.png
I'll try to find a pic of the bike. I think it's a Yamaha 650. It's basically a beginners bike, as he hasn't ridden in years, but just bought it a few months ago. Got some riding in and took a couple of classes as well.

He knows he has to bring gas. Max distance per day is 380 miles on one long stretch.

Trip is likely going to be 8 days.

The other guy is riding a Harley Road King.

Here's the first guys bike. 2003 Honda Shadow 600 VLX

4514d1331511173-just-got-my-first-motorcycle-dsc_0526.jpg

2012 was my first year on an FJR and my first year of 'serious' touring. As I am now retired, I intend to do a lot more in 2013. So, as a 'touring newbie' here's my .02 cents (CAD .025) worth.

+1 to everything Spud says.

Never thought I'd need GPS - now I don't leave home without it. When in Canada, you can use it as a speedometer.

A tank bag is very handy for quick access to your passport, camera, toiletries etc, plus you can easily take it with you when you go for a meal, leaving your other stuff safely locked up.

Leave your exhaust stock. Get a Bluetooth headset to communicate with your buddies (they will need the same of course).

My headlights are stock and perform brilliantly (sorry, couldn't resist that!), but there is a lot of info on this forum on aux. lighting.

Are your mirrors a problem? If so, again, lots of info here on replacements or extenders.

I had my stock seat rebuilt with orthopedic foam locally, it works for me. Others swear by aftermarket seats.

Rode the first couple months with stock bars, then added risers. Really helped my arthritic shoulders.

Hope this helps?

Al.
cold.gif
Definately getting a GPS. Looking for input on what brands/models.

Definately think a tank bag is a go...suggestions on brand/models?

My stock mirrors slightly require me to turn my body to see behind me. It hasn't been a huge issue, but just wanted input.

I'm definately putting some risers on it. My wrist gets sore riding for more than an hour.

Thanks a bunch for the input!

Ahh...I remember getting ready for my first long ride. Now I've kind of got it down to a science that works for me. You need a passport. Don't bring too many clothes--I use the little "tide" packs and can do laundry in a sink or bathtub--let them dry overnight. Minimize toiletries. Leave room for raingear. Leave some extra space in your bags to make room for gear you shed when it's hot. Bike needs no mods for 250 mile days....
Bringing the GF with and I know Canada (at least where we're going, requires a helmet) so I have to get her that, and I've got the SEMA SMH10 headset so I'll get her that too.

What about riding jackets/pants? This will be in July (was wrong about August)...and I'm sure it will be warm.

What do you recommend for rain gear? Any raingear (such as fishing) ok?

At a minimum get you and the GF at least decent riding jackets. Besides the protection, they are designed not to flap in the wind, and make higher speeds way more comfortable regardless of temperature. As for rain gear, make sure what you have will fit over whatever you're going to wear. Motorcycle specific is nice, but it it's just to get through a storm and not hours on end of rain, what you already have may work....

It's really about how much you want to spend. More protection and more comfort the more you spend.

My first real jacket was a Joe Rocket Alter Ego and I still wear it all the time. It goes from Warm to Cold to Rain by zipping apart, and while not the cheapest thing, I think is a great jacket for the money.

https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/14/67/906/35698/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Alter-Ego-3-0-Jacket.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA906&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=45&zmap=319958&kw={keyword}&gclid=CPvqgJWWmLQCFYp_QgodXX0AUQ

I would recommend a Garmin brand GPS such as a Zumo model just because of the availability of maps and readily downloadable routes. It all depends on what features you want and how much your wallet can stand. It's possible to spend over $1000 on a GPS with all the bells & whistles (XM Radio, Weather Radar, fully weatherproof, etc) but it's possible to get a very basic model for a lot less. At a minimum you want a unit that will accept downloadable maps and routes.

Papa Chuy Viejo's Recommendations for Motorcycle Touring in Canada:

1) Always keep your wallet/billfold/valuables in your front pockets and sleep with them safely in your underwear at night.

2) Always carry a condom, a blackjack and if you drop a Loonie: Kick it to a safe place before you bend over to pick it up.

3) Bacon isn't bacon, a toque is a hat, beer comes in two fours not six packs and Canucks will never win the Stanley Cup!

molson24case.jpg

220px-Bacon.JPG

olympic-vancouver-2010-team-canada-toque-hat-profile.jpg

I rode from East Tennessee to Thunder Bay and around Superior this year. While I don't remember the distance it was a long way from Thunder Bay to we found gas and food (this was going east). I'm sure there are others here who could give you better information. Really nice ride and my first time up in that area. Make sure your tires are in good shape as bike shops are on the slim side but other than that no need to do anything special to the FJR....have a great ride.

Don, your post reminds of another Canadian planning tip. Plan out your beer money, bring 2.5X the number. $12.00 for a six pack of bud at the grocery store!

Only advice I have is.......know your companions. Know their riding habits. As for your pillion? You will argue with her. Try to be nice and understanding. Worse comes to worse....you have two buddies to help you dig a hole.

....or is that what the plan was all along?

In addition to the wisdom Beemerdons offered, I suggest you look at what you need vs. what you want. You don't really need a GPS--maps work. You do need more storage room, traveling 2-up. And you just don't have room for camping gear 2-up. Maybe if you'd camped together a LOT and had your systems and equipment really lined up (e.g., top of the line minimum-bulk tents, bags, rain gear, liners, etc.). Without a trailer or a support van, I can't see it at all. You have to plan on rain and probably cold. Might not get it, but you have to plan on it. I'd hate to not have heated grips for any extended trip.

My first thought was also leave the 2 gallon tank guy behind. I carry a 1-gal plastic can on my long solo trips (along with our much bigger FJR gas tank). I wouldn't want to carry enough extra to make up the difference between what I have and what he has. Maybe that's not the best bike for this trip.

Riding at night? I KNOW you're going to see deer. Lights are very important. I have and strongly recommend Clearwater Krista LED lights. There are others, and less expensive, but IMO, these are the best. Super well made, great customer service. Being adjustable, you can keep them on even with oncoming traffic or in town--just dimmer. But when on full, they light up the road (well ahead) and well off to the sides where the critters are hiding, as well as farther into dark curves than a more focused beam light.

As for the exhaust, you can get a good sense of the majority opinion around here in this thread. But if you want a bit more throaty sound, like some of the slip-on folks like, consider the Trooper Mod. Lots of us have done that, or a version of it, and like the new exhaust note. Have fun.

The trip around Lake Superior is beautiful. You got some good advice above but I don't think I saw this comment.

Don't ride at night in this area! There are a lot of critters including moose that wander the road at night. And besides the scenery is beautiful.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......................................moooooooose............

yummy...........

Friends and I are planning a similar trip, yet we're headed to Billings, MT from Seattle, than head north to Edmonton, from there west ending up at mile city, going south to Vancouver and home to Seattle.

So far we've line out our ride with a max of 130 miles in between stops, our friends Honda VTX1800's need a refill every 120 miles
uhoh.gif
and my wife's car in disguise (CanAM Spyder GT
punk.gif
) 130, so that makes this tough and mandatory planning point, else I'm the only one who doesn't need that ratio of re-gassing
rolleyes.gif
praise my FeeJay

To the mods you've asked for, I'm planning/got the followings farkels:

• MCL (Motorcycle Larry, R.I.P.) raiser plate with stem mount for a GPS
  • Garmin Nuevi 1490 LMT, sure ain't a Zumo and waterproof and such, but yo can fetch it for about $100, instead of $600+ if you want a new Zumo
  • RAM Mount and Ziplock bag to make my Garmin waterproof, I have the Scala Rider G9 intercom, which is hooked up to the Garmin (bluetooth)
  • Warchilds Hand Guards of the V-Strom (I order with him, so I knew that all parts I need from Suzuki are there, when I tried to find them by myself, I was too blond, because Suzuki did change part numbers and so it became very difficult to find them, back to Warchild to make sure!!)
  • Warchild also offers the BMW grips, which are way more comfortable!
  • ZX1 Mirror, Gen 1's though, best farkel ever, since you now can use those mirrors without doing yoga (my wife calls my FeeJay now fire ant
    mda.gif
    !
  • Valentine one on a clutch fluid reservoir mount, don't want to piss of the 5-0's or Black 'n White!
  • AUX LED's LM1500, a forum friend offers them for a 10% discount, just search for AUX lights, they will mount either on a mirror/fairing mount or like I'm planning to mount mine on the front fender holding points, looks cleaner for me. I'm planning to use a plain on/off switch mounted on the handlebar
  • This farkel, will trigger the need to install a fuse block, so you need to consider that as well.
  • I'm riding solo, because my wifey has her own ride (praise the lord!!!) I've got the smuggler from corbin and of course the OEM top case
  • There's a EBay seller who sells for small greenbacks a whole set of reflective trim for the FeeJay (side and rear) your FeeJay will light up, like a light bulb on its own, cheap but very effective farkel.
  • I replaced the OEM light bulbs with the OSRAM's fancy brights (OSRAM Night Breaker PLUS/NightBreaker PLUS H4), yet the majority on this forum if prefer them
  • Biggest ticket item, I had KFG Racing redo my entire suspension, front GP/Oehlins combo, rear Penske!!! Yummy, $2K I don't regret to have spend though!!!
Have fun, the winter is long!!

V
RPK

Cool information. I love long distance, long weekend rides. Although I have been known to do 500 mile one day rides as well. Personally I wouldn't go hog wild and buy everything you think you might need. There will be stores along the way and bike shops you can stop at. I love to grind out miles but it is very important to plan on making stops as well. It's not for you as much as the other riders in your party. Somebody posted to make sure you know the other riders and their style and riding capabilities. It could be a very long and frustating trip if you don't talk about how you would like to ride. An example, you're a picture guy and like to make frequent stops, your wife is the same but your friends are more ride from point a-b. You like short, quick fuel stops and your buddy's take the opportunity to get coffee, clean the bugs off the shield, take extended bathroom stops, talk to everyone at the station. Your trip and group is only as strong as the weakest rider. This also stands true for the bikes your on. Your trip and the success of it also will depend on the bikes and maintenance done on them. Before my first long trip this last year with a few guys we did maintenance on all the bikes and made sure everyone was good to go. We took on each bike on different weekends to get things added and to do things to the bike. A great time to get together, help each other out and save money on basic maintenance things.

Long trip list

* Extra pair sunglasses

* Bring Tennis shoes - walking around in your boots at night after riding all day sucks.

* Light rain gear - My summer coat is a mesh with a zip in liner and a zip in rain liner. Light weight with options

* Bring riding pants / rain pants

* Multiple pairs of gloves - I have leather, mesh, cooler weather ( morning / evening gloves). Get caught in the rain and you will be glad to have dry warm gloves

* Tank bag - The only time I ride with it and I keep everything that I need handy in it. No reason to be digging around in the saddle bags. Ride maps, GPS if not mounted, sun glasses, change of gloves, camera, sun screen, bottle of water and snack, cell phone holder, wallet holder, medications, anything you might need on the fly. **always take your tank bag off the bike with you unless someone is specifically watching the bikes!

** Make sure you ride with a fairly large bottle of water and an energy bar. *stay hydrated and keep hunger at bay.

* 5 hour energy drinks. You never know when you or someone your with might be getting tired or fatigued. Being alert is prime. These are very small and easy to store

* Atleast one in the group carry some basic tools and specialty tools if needed. Zip ties, Electrical tape, small roll of duct tape is always very handy when needed.

* Take cash $5, $10, $20 as well as debit cards. I have been in places where you need gas, food and their card reader is down. Cash talks

** don't over pack clothes!

* leave some room for souveniers along the way to remember the trip.

Latest posts