Plugged fuel filter?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[SIZE=24pt]Update -- 4pm 3/22/09[/SIZE]

The FJR gods have smiled on me!

Rick Roberts, aka "RICLET" just left Casa del Howie. Rick responded to a thread I began HERE for assistance to "borrow" a Gen I tank/fuel pump.

Being the upstanding citizen that he is, Rick agreed to come to my house where, in about 10 minutes, we had his tank off and transplanted to my Feej.

Pressurized the fuel system, crossed my fingers, held my breath, and fired the Silver Streak into life.

whirrrrrrrrr---start---die after about 5 seconds.

whirrrrrrrrr---start---die after about 5 seconds.

My heart fell into my shoes.

Oh hell, give it one more try......

whirrrrrrrrr---start---purrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Third time was the charm. Silver Streak LIVES!!!

Ran through the warm-up cycle at high idle...settled right down to a whisper of a rumble. Several shutdowns and restarts with NO problem.

Oh Happy Day! My troubles are (almost) over!

Now, here's hoping that $100 fuel pump I bought on eBay turns out to be a bargain, and not a turd.

Oh, one MINOR inconvenience....coolant pipe leak on the right side. That's what I get for not procurring new O-rings before yanking the summbitch off. That's an inconvenience I can live with, considering the success of the transplant experiment.

My hat is off to RICLET for helping a brother out. And trust me, some where, some time, some how, I'll pay it forward. God Bless You, mate.

I'll give Gary at Mondak a call Monday for a set of coolant pipe O-rings and anxiously await their arrival along with my new fuel pump.

Hopefully, any future updates will be as positive as this one.

The end of the nightmare is almost here.

[SIZE=24pt]Update -- 4pm 3/22/09[/SIZE]
The FJR gods have smiled on me!

The end of the nightmare is almost here.
Another member of the Job club about to end the wait! Awesome. I've got something for your sig line:

Job.jpg

Oh happy day, Howie boy...Sunday will again always be thought as sacred

I'll put off my great ride report on the New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering this weekend until ya on the road and screamin' with joy at the top of ya lungs...pick some fav tunes to look forward to on ya first real ride in a long time and clue us in

enquiring minds want to know

That great days a'comin', my friend :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :rolleyes:

kewl,

Mike (in Nawlins')

Oh happy day, Howie boy...Sunday will again always be thought as sacred
I'll put off my great ride report on the New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering this weekend until ya on the road and screamin' with joy at the top of ya lungs...pick some fav tunes to look forward to on ya first real ride in a long time and clue us in

enquiring minds want to know

That great days a'comin', my friend :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :clapping: :yahoo: :rolleyes:

kewl,

Mike (in Nawlins')
Don't go holdin' off no ride report on account of my sorry ass.

I don't expect the fuel pump 'til the end of the week at the earliest, and if I don't get my coolant pipe O-rings from Gary at Mondak within the same time frame, Silver Streak will stay parked a while longer. The way I figure, if I'm Feej'n again by Sunday the 29th, I'll be incredibly fortunate.

Post your report...give me something to envy 'til I'm ridin' the Silver Streak again. :)

Oh, I ride "tuneless". The ride's the thing...don't want no distractacations, y'know?

tarred and heading for early slumber...

5th annual New Orleans Ride to Eat Gathering held this weekend

385 miles and a great time by all :yahoo:

ride report to follow in the day(s) to come but I'm still glowing from fresh broiled flounder covered in blue crab meat, thin sliced wild catfish, oyster stew, and bbq jumbo shrimp (paradox, I know).

Boiled shrimp, boiled crawfish, raw oysters, char grilled oysters, seafood gumbo, and raw oysters were had Saturday.

today's breakfast was poached eggs benedict over crab cakes, fresh LA delicious tomatoes with homemade ranch dressing & local Community coffee/chickory. Also fresh squeezed orange juice from down south LA orange orchards. Last was powdered sugar dusted Beignets.

on the ride home, set the rear shock preload from soft to firm...

more to come... (yes, there are roads to describe)

Congratulations, you not only see the light at the end of the tunnel, you are about to emerge in bright sunlight!

Thank you for staying with it, sharing everything and allowing the brain storming to happen. I just spent the past several hours digesting this thread and the references to it (my butt's sore from sitting all this time), and I'm coming away with much greater understanding of modern fuel injection. My initial exposure was on my '07 BMW 6 series - neat car! My head is swimming, but I was able to follow along.

I suppose there will be a test in the morning.
:huh:
I bet your initial run will be sweet!

:yahoo:

Enjoy!!!

Brodie

Congratulations, you not only see the light at the end of the tunnel, you are about to emerge in bright sunlight!
Thank you for staying with it, sharing everything and allowing the brain storming to happen. I just spent the past several hours digesting this thread and the references to it (my butt's sore from sitting all this time), and I'm coming away with much greater understanding of modern fuel injection. My initial exposure was on my '07 BMW 6 series - neat car! My head is swimming, but I was able to follow along.

I suppose there will be a test in the morning.
:huh:
I bet your initial run will be sweet!

:yahoo:

Enjoy!!!

Brodie
Your post couldn't have been more timely.

I just received an email from Rich at Cruiznperformance.com, the gent who overhauled my injectors, and at a terrific price.

I replied to him that when the FJR was back on the road, I was gonna "disappear" for a day or two, and with an evening stop wherever I happen to be, I'd hoist a cold one in his honor. I'll be doing the same for all the folks who helped out on this thread.

DAMN! :blink: :drinks: :blink: That's gonna be a LOT of hoisting! Better plan to stay the night wherever I wind up! :)

I haven't contributed to the thread much but have been following it regularly; glad it seems your journey is near the end.

Don't worry, he'll find something else to break on silver to keep this thread alive.........it's the most attention he's had since that scandal with the under aged boi he was "dating".

Don't worry, he'll find something else to break on silver to keep this thread alive.........it's the most attention he's had since that scandal with the under aged boi he was "dating".
Hey! Good Morning, Carla!
Hey, don't you go callin' Rayleen names.
????? :blink: :blink: ?????

All this time I've been on the Forum and I was SURE it was Raynelda! Thanks for the clarification.

Time to bump this back up with the latest news.

Got my "new" fuel pump today. Damn, it's actually "white". My original is kind of a reddish brown. Could it be the rust? :)

Anyway, jumped right back into the fray when I got home. One thing I remember when RICLET loaned me his tank a week ago was the Feej started puking coolant about 10 minutes or so into the run cycle. The right "hole" for the coolant pipe was full & overflowing with coolant, so I assumed the O-ring just didn't seat well.

So first think I did tonight was yank the coolant pipe again to make sure the O-rings weren't rolled over or cut. And found out that some how, some way, the O-ring between the coolant pipe and thermostat was GONE! Wasn't even in there. Kinda explains the coolant spew.

I ordered a set of O-rings for the pipe from Gary at Mondak a week ago, but those beotches MIGHT have to come from Japan...at least they ain't here yet. :(

So I'm taking the coolant pipe and thermostat with me to work tomorrow to match up a new set of O-rings for it, along with some high-temp silicone grease from one of those "Mom and Pop" shops near the office. You know the kind.....tiny, narrow little aisles, JAMMED full of everything you'd NEVER find at a chain hardware.

So, I'm losing a day O-ring shopping, unless the Yammie versions show up miraculously tomorrow. I doubt it.

Where the HELL could that damn thermostat O-ring have gone? I KNOW it was on the neck of the coolant pipe when I put it back together, but it's damned sure MIA now.

Prolly stuck in yer ass... Along with yer head. :blink:

The damn thing just wouldn't disappear, look under your foot Jackass :yahoo:

:jester:

Time to bump this back up with the latest news.
Got my "new" fuel pump today... the O-ring between the coolant pipe and thermostat was GONE!...
Prolly stuck in yer ass... Along with yer head...look under your foot Jackass :yahoo:
Did ya ever go outside and get a damn fly or two that just continually buzzed around your head? The kind you can't seem to swat, can't outrun, follows you everywhere and just won't go away?

f014%5B1%5D.jpg

:p