Police Chase/Stop - What were they thinking?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought about posting something, but....

I only armchair quarterback on Tuesdays and Thursdays. :glare:

B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this on advrider. I think there should be some serious charges to the officer who did the 'stop'?
'click here abouts'
Really...

You think it's the officers fault for making him try to evade???

Lets see...

Extreme speeds, Residential area...

No sympathy here for the rider, And no charges for the officer.

Clearly the motorcyclist is at fault for evading, but sorry, unless he was wanted for something where deadly force was authorized, the 2nd officer's decision to veer into the path of a fleeing vehicle was reckless, and likely criminal.

If it was a situation where deadly force was authorized, then so be it, shoot him, ram him, whatever, who cares. If not, there's gonna be some hell to pay.

My guess is though, the 2nd officer just let adrenaline and poor judgment get the better of him and he thought by pulling in front, he'd force the guy to stop. Instead, he didn't anticipate the speed, etc, and he screwed up. But, that's just a guess.

I feel sorry for PonyFool. Every cop-bashing/questioning thread must be another 'oh shit, what now' moment for him.

I feel sorry for PonyFool. Every cop-bashing/questioning thread must be another 'oh shit, what now' moment for him.
And the other 8 or 9 officers we have on the forum. They are forced to defend the actions of the small pecentage of officers who make bad decisions. Similar to us having to defend motorcycling to citizens who complain about "stunters" on the highway.....

....or speeding GSXRs in their neighborhood.

"My momma says, "Stupid is as stupid does!'"

Clearly the motorcyclist is at fault for evading, but sorry, unless he was wanted for something where deadly force was authorized, the 2nd officer's decision to veer into the path of a fleeing vehicle was reckless, and likely criminal.
At least Scott can be counted on to be level headed and give a reasonable accounting.

I agree Ponyfool. Unless it was a deadly force issue (which doesn't appear to be the case) what the cop did was criminal. Yes, the rider was wrong in evading but that doesn't mean deadly force was authorized or necessary. It always worries me that while I'm out doing one of my LD rides and speeding (a little) that some cowboy cop will try to run me off the road before I have time to stop safely.

And the other 8 or 9 officers we have on the forum. They are forced to defend the actions of the small pecentage of officers who make bad decisions. Similar to us having to defend motorcycling to citizens who complain about "stunters" on the highway.....
I don't have any issue whatsoever in explaining police tactics, and trying to give people who don't do the job an understanding of what those of us who do the job go through. But, in doing so, I think you'll find that I also am doing it with the utmost integrity for the profession. I loathe those that wear the badge that give us a bad name more than most. It was definitely an eye opening moment in my career when my naiveté was destroyed when I realized not everyone in my profession holds the same principles I do. I migrate towards those that do, and I shun those that don't hold the same views.

Every profession has bottom feeders. Think about it. Think about whatever it is you do and imagine the f*cktard that is still employed doing the same thing you do, but does so with the crappiest of initiative or care. Does it irritate you that he remains employed at the same level you are? This is no different.

What I do enjoy though is, I will debate good police tactics with anyone who thinks they are out of line. For example, the use of a taser, etc. When used properly, no matter how "bad" it looks, if it was appropriate, I'll argue it. If it wasn't, I'll argue that too.

What I can't stand is people who bitch and complain when seeing appropriate police policy by saying, "That's not right, they shouldn't be able to do that" but offer no reasonable solution. For example, in this case, although no one has said it yet, but I can see in some arenas someone saying, "They shouldn't be able to chase people" and then go on to say something equally as stupid as, "Just get the plate and arrest them later."

Sheesh....yeah the stop was rough. However, I tend to believe that those who evade get what they deserve.

For example, in this case, although no one has said it yet, but I can see in some arenas someone saying, "They shouldn't be able to chase people" and then go on to say something equally as stupid as, "Just get the plate and arrest them later."
In this case, the cyclist new he had been "lit up" and decided to run. A really bad decision since the officer was behind him at the turn lane ane probably had his license plate number.

There are multiple scenarios that could be played from that decision point because there were unknown facts. Following are just a few:

1.) The bike was stolen

2.) The perpetrator was DUI

3.) The perpetrator was unlicensed

4.) The perpetrator had warrants or priors

5.) The perpetrator was armed

We tend to look at these scenarios from our own identity and perspective, but the police must consider all of the above. Should they choose to NOT chase (and every department has its own policy regarding stopping of said chase) at what point does the public-at-large demand protection from speeding and wreckless drivers of any vehicle.

And, yes, the second officer did elevate and over-react and should be appropriately reprimanded and penalized.

Every profession has bottom feeders. Think about it. Think about whatever it is you do and imagine the f*cktard that is still employed doing the same thing you do, but does so with the crappiest of initiative or care. Does it irritate you that he remains employed at the same level you are? This is no different.
I'd say there is a huge difference. My coworkers don't carry guns, tazers or nightsticks. My coworkers also don't have to use split second judgments to use those weapons. My coworkers don't have to chase people. My coworkers actions don't end up on YouTube for worldwide scrutiny. Sometimes I wish they did though.

If I were a cop, I would be irritated, worried and terrified of my bottom feeding coworkers.

If I were a cop, I would be irritated, worried and terrified of my bottom feeding coworkers.
That's my point. While I do believe that there are fewer bottom feeders doing police work than in most other professions, sadly, they still exist. That's why I have no problem calling them out when I see it. My definition of the "thin blue line" isn't about covering up for each other, but rather about making sure everyone (police and public alike) knows the difference between appropriate police procedure and inappropriate police procedure so there is no ambiguity on what's expected.

I sit on our oral boards for hiring, I've served on our union for years, and am on the board of trustees for our pension and disability system. I'll advocate for cops all day long, but not for bad ones. I have no hesitation calling out those that are screwing up and telling them to fix their problem, or get out.

Now, having said that, there will be times just based on the dynamic of police work, where the actions of an officer may really look bad to the public at first, or even second glance, but when looked into, were not inappropriate. In those circumstances, I'll fight like hell to make sure those that are scrutinizing him have a complete understanding of the officer's viewpoint. We may not ever agree, but we'll be a hell of a lot closer.

In this pursuit case, the officer's actions, while not pretty, may have a justifiable reason. It certainly doesn't appear appropriate, and I like the rest of you, have formed our opinions on very little information, so I do my best not to use absolutes in my discussions.

Most of these types of instances are just like plane crash analysis. There is usually never just one cause, but rather a chain of events.

If the guy hadn't run...

If the cop hadn't torpedoed him...

Etc. Etc.

Usually plenty of blame to go around. Can't help but feel bad for the passenger though.

I never run from the cops when riding two up. The weight slows you down and the stock suspension isn't up to the job. :D

I found this on advrider. I think there should be some serious charges to the officer who did the 'stop'?'click here abouts'
Really... You think it's the officers fault for making him try to evade???Lets see...Extreme speeds, Residential area... No sympathy here for the rider, And no charges for the officer.
Agreed. the cop made a bad choice to continue to turn the car instead of stopping completely. He probably couldn not judge the speed the the bike accurately at night. Nevertheless, your going to play with jonny law, you might get hurt real good :dribble:
Can't help but feel bad for the passenger though.
yeah what a shame. :unsure:

My guess is though, the 2nd officer just let adrenaline and poor judgment get the better of him and he thought by pulling in front, he'd force the guy to stop. Instead, he didn't anticipate the speed, etc, and he screwed up. But, that's just a guess.
And personally, perhaps while the second officer should be hazed for that second learch that caused the collision, my bet is that your right, too pumped up and a bad choice while trying to do his job.

It seems all too often that when police chase a fleeing vehicle that results in an accident, that the public blame the police for doing the very job that the tax payers money pays them to do. The public expects the police to chase and catch the bad guys, but when something bad happens, then the police are in the wrong.

That driver fought the law and the law won. However, in looking at the video I do agree that the second officer appeared to move his vehicle in the way of the fleeing vehicle. It is sad that anyone was hurt, but if he would of pulled over, we would not be having this discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts