Poll: Ramble Location for June 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is another one to consider:Shawnee State Park, Ohio (just west of Portsmouth)

I have been here, it looks very nice. The park is not very big (basically 2 entrances)

From what we saw, all of the cottages are set up in one small area.

Shawnee -- Click ME

"
It might be nice but Portsmouth it's quite a ways from the good Ohio roads I'm familiar with.
I agree...southEAST Ohio is where the roads are in Ohio.

So where are the photos of the new scooter Mark? :dntknw:
When I get it I will share...soon. :yahoo: :clapping:

Decision 2008 continues...vote for your preferred Summer 2008 Ramble location.
Is the midwest the largest geographic area of the regions? I read mw and was puzzled by the locations suggested for voting. All seem east to me. I haven't searched or read much in the regions section. is there a better region for eastern KS that would have activities closer to home, like under 700 miles? Admittedly, I'm a wuss when it comes to LD.

Is the midwest the largest geographic area of the regions? I read mw and was puzzled by the locations suggested for voting. All seem east to me. I haven't searched or read much in the regions section. is there a better region for eastern KS that would have activities closer to home, like under 700 miles? Admittedly, I'm a wuss when it comes to LD.
Yamaholic, who started these rambles a while back, lives in Ohio and organizes rides near or in Ohio.

Since it's Friday, I have to ask, are there any good riding roads in Kansas? B)

Yamaholic, who started these rambles a while back, lives in Ohio and organizes rides near or in Ohio.

no problem, no offense, you can ask this on any day and the answer is still the same....few and far between.

there is an area of rolling prairie called the flint hills. a few sweepers. there is a great motorcycle roads web site...very little listed in ks.

the mw area just seems huge if I'm 750 miles from shawnee ohio and stil in the same region. It's almost closer to go to Canada.

no problem, no offense, you can ask this on any day and the answer is still the same....few and far between.

there is an area of rolling prairie called the flint hills. a few sweepers. there is a great motorcycle roads web site...very little listed in ks.

the mw area just seems huge if I'm 750 miles from shawnee ohio and stil in the same region. It's almost closer to go to Canada.
Lee,

You are misunderstanding...this is not an EOM or a CFO...this is a Ramble. If you wanna come fine...but don't complain about where it's held.

Believe me if you come you will not be sorry.

If you don't you will have missed out. If you can't come, go to a ride more local to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lee B. It's a heck of a long way for you to come. Wheaties right though, if you did make the trek to S.E. Ohio you wouldn't be disappointed, but good lord you can ride to Colorado quicker than you could come to Ohio. Some of us from the Cleveland Area rode down to Lewisburg for EOM this year, about 500 miles one way, give or take a little, wasn't bad. Took us about 13 hrs. and we rode 2 lanes all the way down and back. Actually it was great fun, anyway you decide, most of us Easterners wouldn't miss this for the world. Hey and by the way Wheatie sorry to hear of your "get off" glad your alright. You better be more careful 1 "Scrapedup " is all this Forum can handle!!!!

Dave

I guess I should have used some smiley faces because I wasn't complaining.

I'm really just curious aobut the various regions, the boundries, etc.

In a way I guess it is understandable that the mw would be the biggest section but I was a bit surprised that it extended into WV, eastern OH, etc.

Sorry if my comments came off compliny or whiney. wasn't my intent.

Lee B. It's a heck of a long way for you to come. Wheaties right though, if you did make the trek to S.E. Ohio you wouldn't be disappointed, but good lord you can ride to Colorado quicker than you could come to Ohio. Some of us from the Cleveland Area rode down to Lewisburg for EOM this year, about 500 miles one way, give or take a little, wasn't bad. Took us about 13 hrs. and we rode 2 lanes all the way down and back. Actually it was great fun, anyway you decide, most of us Easterners wouldn't miss this for the world. Hey and by the way Wheatie sorry to hear of your "get off" glad your alright. You better be more careful 1 "Scrapedup " is all this Forum can handle!!!!

Dave
What you say about "if you did make the trek...you wouldn't be disappointed..." is no doubt true.

My post was really inquisitive, not meant to suggest that mw rambles, meets, etc. should all be w/in an easy days ride for me.

Thanks for the reply.

Just remembered that they did scientifically determine that KS is actually flatter than a pancake. For good roads that are any length I generally head for southern MO, AR, or Colorado. Sad to say that good riding in CO is still 600 miles away, MO and AR are w/in about 200 miles. Living here I really have to dial down my expectations. Just getting out in the open, we have plenty of that, is nice even if you can't do much carving.

Yeah, I was just bustin' on you. I rode through Kansas last summer after NAFO. It was hot, and straight, and hot, and did I mention, HOT. It was pretty interesting when I went by a gigantic wind mill farm somewhere in the middle of the state. I stopped for a cold drink and struck up a conversation with a guy there who happened to be an electrician installing some of the equipment. That was fun. Did I mention that it was hot? :lol:

On the positive side, I saw several billboards advertising that there are jobs in Kansas. Probably due to the wind farms.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I should have used some smiley faces because I wasn't complaining. I'm really just curious aobut the various regions, the boundries, etc.

In a way I guess it is understandable that the mw would be the biggest section but I was a bit surprised that it extended into WV, eastern OH, etc.

Sorry if my comments came off compliny or whiney. wasn't my intent.
Sorry Lee...I just took it wrong I guess...hard to see the expression on your face over the internets.

BTW, SE Ohio is pretty far from you, but Missouri and AR are fairly close by...you should review those posts when they pop up. Or maybe the Kansas crazy 400 that you organize of your favorite Kansas twisties. :) <-----smiley face.

Heidi, I saw the link, but guess I thought you meant the Lodge as the resting place and totally did not see the cabin info!

The Lake Hope Cabins look ultra promising!! Great find, Heidi.

Lake Hope State Park Cabins

Perhaps the "Forest Cabins"?? :D $65 for two bedrooms in the heart of good riding is going to be hard to beat.

Brent, Good suggestion on Shawnee too. I saw that as well, but not much info on cabins on these #$ Ohio state park sites.

Plus Lake Hope is closer to the really nice roads.

Lee, as mentioned, this is no mega-event. Just a very casual 2 day ride, explore the lowland Appalacian roads in southeast Ohio and make some new FJR friends sitting 'round the campfire at cabins in the evening.

You are welcome to come if that sounds of interest to you.

So what do you all think???? Lake Hope Cabins? Going once??

Dates I'm considering for overnight: June 5-6, 2009 or June 19-20, 2009. I think the 21st is Fathers Day though.

Perhaps the "Forest Cabins"?? :D $65 for two bedrooms in the heart of good riding is going to be hard to beat.
...So what do you all think???? Lake Hope Cabins? Going once??

Dates I'm considering for overnight: June 5-6, 2009 or June 19-20, 2009. I think the 21st is Fathers Day though.
Lake Hope Cabins sounds good to me! June 19-20 sounds better to me...my daughter turns 14 on June 5th.

But hold it whichever weekend is best for the group...and it sounds like a good sized group is interested in this one Mike! :clapping:

This looks like a lot of fun. Great riding area, especially if you get away from the Hocking Hills lookyloo traffic.

Lake Hope says several cabins still available. All roads and parking areas are paved, if anyone is interested.

Watching this thread intently.... :yahoo:

I am voting June 5-6. If you had dates in April open I'd vote for that. The sooner the better in my bookage. The further away from dead on summer, the better. Lake Hope looks good to me, also. Lots of cabins are not already rented. We stand a good chance of making a grouping if we jump on it soon.

Heidi, April is no good...it's pretty darn cold here that time of the year. And it snows often that month!

90%+ interested in the Lake Hope cabins. Considering taking a day off this week (perhaps Wednesday) and buzz down there to go look at them and perhaps talk to the park office about a group rate.

As of now there are 11 Forest Cabins that can accept 5 people each, although considering some beds are bunks, probably safe to say 2 or 3 people per 5 person cabin.

I will let everyone know ASAP if this is "The Place" so you can start making reservations. Targeting later this week to make the decision.

In the meantime, may want to huddle up and decide who your room mate will be so you can make a fast reservation when this time comes.

Heidi, April is no good
Oh Mike, I was only kidding! Just trying to make a "funny" point... but just kidding. So, how about May?!?!?!? JUST KIDDING, MAN!

If there are folks making reservations right off, I'd like to suggest that these folks reserve a cabin each person as opposed to doubling up right away. This way we can hog up a whole section of cabins. I am willing to bet that we're going to have quite a few joiners as we get closer to the event. If a reservation gets made & it won't be used, it can get canceled. It seems to me that would make better chances of being grouped together.

Good luck with begging for a group rate. Cannot wait to hear from you,

Heidi

Something that I won't have info on: Is there any restaurants or gas around this place?

No, there really is not! McArthur has gas and food (no chain restaurants, just greasy spoons)-it's about 15 miles away. Zalewski closely does not have anything except a general store (they do sell beer and smokes and such).

But Athens and Nelsonville are good sized towns and has everything. I'll estimate these are about 16-18 miles from Lake Hope.

I will plan a route through one of these towns on the way back for dinner.

If we want a cheap rural cabin, it definitely comes at a convenience price!

Any ideas on were you might be starting from? Bob Evans? Gas Station? Athens? For the folks that might be more inclined to stay in a Hotel.