Poll: Ramble Location for June 2009

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, if we're considering camping, we should probably consider the place that I was talking about earlier. The name of it is Niches. I do know the owner & pretty sure that if we had any kind of special requests, they'd likely be granted. Short of someone serving us drinks. They also have a restaurant that will cater for us.

Personally, I like the cabin idea better. Last year Keithaba planned the Kentucky ride using cabins/lodging at State Parks & we didn't spend more than one night at each locale. That was a sweet ride! Well, until it started sleeting & snowing.

Just as an idea... start in OH & end in WV staying @ a different (cheap) place each night. If I remember correctly, the WV Ramble was 3 nights, right? We rode into Clarksburg on Friday & left on Sunday? Is that right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Heidi,

Nah, I wasn't going to have the host location be a campground...but I'll find one closeby for those who are too cheap to rent a cabin love to camp. Oh, and this will probably be 2 days/nights. Something like stay at host location Friday and Saturday night, ride Sat and Sun, on your own Sunday night. Dates to follow. Thinking early June or maybe over Memorial Day or late May???

Check out this place! Lazy Lane Cabins

Looks like multiple different size cabins all in the same complex, good prices and this is in a very pretty area. Only problems are no "parking lot" atmosphere for socializing (suppose we could huddle up in a big cabin to shoot the cud), and ya'll are going to have to team up to rent cabins together which may present some hastle in organzing your room. Not for mind you, I'm only finding the location, scouting it for Ramble worthisness, talk to the owners to get a group rate, etc but won't be figuring out who's in what cabin or making your reservation.

Let me know what you guys think...something different.

We could also move from place to place, but then you tote all your heavy luggage and more work to unpack/repack.

A few of us were out playing in some southeast Ohio twisties yesterday & were happy to discover that Rt. 255 between Sardis, Ohio & Rt. 800 has some nice new blacktop.

It is not quite finished yet, but the new pavement runs the entire 18 miles.

This will be another great road to add if the Ramble is going to be in SE Ohio. :yahoo:

Check out this place! Lazy Lane Cabins
Looks fine to me. The last time I was in Athens, OH I ended up in an old run down motor lodge that didn't cost a whole lot less. It was the weekend before graduation. I'm sure that availability in that area has a lot to do with what evnnts are happening at OU that particular weekend.

Those cabins look nice. It looks like it'd really take some finagling to get everyone even remotely close in proximity to each other, though. The largest cabin that I saw will sleep 6 (3 bedrooms). Unless we have a lot of 2-uppers, that cabin is only going to sleep 3.

Mike, is there any state parks or something of that sort in the area? Judging from the trip to KY that I made last year, the SP's seem to have good lodging.

A bunch of small cabins that are all together w/ 1 or 2 folks in each cabin would probably work.

Edited to add:

This might be worth looking into: Lake Hope State Park. The lodge sounds like it would be absolutely perfect for our needs... if we don't mind sleeping "dorm" style.

The website says that there is bedspace for 22 people. I am guessing that to mean at least 11 beds. With the tax it would be $310.00 plus $40.30 tax or $31.84 a piece per night for 11 people which includes tax . There is also cottages for overflow & camping for those thrifty folk.

Did I forget to mention that the lodge is heated & cooled?

Edited to again add info: I looked into the info provided for the cottages. Indeed, all of the cottages are heated & cooled. Many of them have fireplaces, also.

WOW, That Lodge looks really sweet! Early June and might still be cool enough for a fire at night. Kickstands down for the night and the proper libations....sounds like a rowdy good time.

Regarding the dates for the ramble, Jim and Iris have scheduled a Cats and Daks ride for Friday and Saturday, June 13 and 14.

WOW, That Lodge looks really sweet! Early June and might still be cool enough for a fire at night. Kickstands down for the night and the proper libations....sounds like a rowdy good time.
Bluebullet, I took a gander at the schedule for the lodge. As much as it looks perfect for the group's needs, it isn't going to work for the group since all weekends are reserved through almost the next year... although, the cottages are virtually untouched w/ the reservation finger. Going from memory, I think that all cottages have fire pits... & some have fireplaces.

And they are air conditoned & heated cottages. Did I mention fairly cheap?

Bluebullet, I took a gander at the schedule for the lodge. As much as it looks perfect for the group's needs, it isn't going to work for the group since all weekends are reserved through almost the next year... although, the cottages are virtually untouched w/ the reservation finger. Going from memory, I think that all cottages have fire pits... & some have fireplaces.

And they are air conditoned & heated cottages. Did I mention fairly cheap?
That's good too. Grab a few cottages in close proximity to each other and circle the feejers in wagon train style. Big bonfire in the middle, pull out the guitar and the ole mouth harp and pass the bottles around. What a way to relax after 400 miles of premium twisties, no?

I'd expect that we'd be better off making reservations sooner than later if we indeed want to make some sort of grouping. Last year I started to make at least one trip a year to a new place that I haven't ridden. Earlier this year had me in Kentucky & NY. This coming year, I'm planning on attending this ride in Ohio. So when it comes time to make reservations somewhere, i'll be making a reservation commitment ASAP.

Thanks for the suggestions. Pillion wives and such wouldn't like the dorm room thing too much I suspect. The price IS right though!!!

Small cabins or lodge rooms would be great..one per "couple" in one bedroom or two couples in a 2 bedroom cabin. Hot tub would be nice to heal the all day riding pains!

There are several state parks lodges...Burr Oak is real nice actually. Rates are little high. I'll call about a group rate. Salt Fork is also in the area, but more expensive. Both are kind of out in the middle of nowhere like Canaan Valley, so not much around which comits you to eating there, in all likelihood.

Gimme a bit to call around and check available dates at several places in mind. Trying to keep it under $70/night for one room/one or two people.

Mid June????? Why Don't you ramble up to Nakusp, British Columbia for CFR 2009.

Some of the most beautiful scenery in the World, plus Our Famous Canadian Hospitality....

Heidi, I will even bring a bottle of Alberta Premium and some Canadian smokes just for you... :diablo: :diablo:

Thanks for the suggestions. Pillion wives and such wouldn't like the dorm room thing too much I suspect. The price IS right though!!!
Small cabins or lodge rooms would be great..one per "couple" in one bedroom or two couples in a 2 bedroom cabin. Hot tub would be nice to heal the all day riding pains!

There are several state parks lodges...Burr Oak is real nice actually. Rates are little high. I'll call about a group rate. Salt Fork is also in the area, but more expensive. Both are kind of out in the middle of nowhere like Canaan Valley, so not much around which comits you to eating there, in all likelihood.

Gimme a bit to call around and check available dates at several places in mind. Trying to keep it under $70/night for one room/one or two people.
Mike, did you look at the link I posted? The cottages (not the lodge) look pretty ideal. No hot tub... but everything else... & they are not expensive at all. Probably less than 1/2 of $70.00 for each person. I'd expect the whole weekend to cost $70.00 for lodging.

Something that I won't have info on: Is there any restaurants or gas around this place?

Don, I won't have enough time or money to go that far north. Thanks for the offer of alcohol & tobacco. Ordinarily that would draw me in... but not this time. Oh, I've given up those Canadian smokes.

Here is another one to consider:

Shawnee State Park, Ohio (just west of Portsmouth)

I have been here, it looks very nice. The park is not very big (basically 2 entrances)

From what we saw, all of the cottages are set up in one small area.

Shawnee -- Click ME

"

Shawnee Lodge Accommodations

Shawnee Resort and Conference Center offers modern amenities in a casual atmosphere. Each guestroom features a private balcony and each cottage has a screened-in porch. There are two main types of accommodations: Lodge Rooms and Cottages.

Lodge Rooms

The Lodge features 50 guestrooms. All lodge rooms are air-conditioned and have satellite television, AM/FM alarm clock radios, telephones, bathtubs and a private balcony. Video players and videos are available for rent at the Front Desk. Rollaway beds are available for an additional charge.

10 King Rooms with one king-size bed and a recliner.

10 Bunk Rooms with two double beds and two single bunk beds.

30 Double Rooms with two double beds.

Cottages

We have 25 two bedroom cottages. All cottages have air-conditioning, gas fireplaces, satellite television, AM/FM alarm clock radios, telephones, linens and kitchens equipped to meet the majority of your cooking needs. There are 23 standard cottages, three of which are ADA compliant, and two deluxe cottages with a hot tub in a screened in porch.

"

Location-wise, I looks like it fits the bill..........

Ooh, that sounds niceeee. Gonna' look t your linkage.

So, does that mean that I'll see you guys twice next year?

Here is another one to consider:Shawnee State Park, Ohio (just west of Portsmouth)

I have been here, it looks very nice. The park is not very big (basically 2 entrances)

Shawnee -- Click ME

"
It might be nice but Portsmouth it's quite a ways from the good Ohio roads I'm familiar with.

Here is another one to consider:Shawnee State Park, Ohio (just west of Portsmouth)

Shawnee -- Click ME

"
It might be nice but Portsmouth it's quite a ways from the good Ohio roads I'm familiar with.
I agree...southEAST Ohio is where the roads are in Ohio.

Shawnee -- Click ME

"
I agree...southEAST Ohio is where the roads are in Ohio.

So where are the photos of the new scooter Mark? :dntknw: