Possible 2011 fjr owner

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaiderBill

Reaction score
I just finished a test ride on a silver 2011 fjr1300 and I love it! I've had big cruisers my last 3 bikes and after this ride i'm wondering why. Had a Yamaha raider which is a good bike, then a Triumph Rocket 3 which I really liked but hit a deer and totaled it, then I bought a Suzuki c109rt and its a really good bike but I nicknamed it the "pig", 900lbs- don't get me wrong its a really good bike shafty, liquid cooled, gets up and moves. The only thing I did not like on the fjr was the shifter barley had room for my boot but a guy pointed out that that is adjustable. This bike has frame sliders, and a nice big givi trunk that is wired in. Initially I was a little on edge never driven a sport type bike before but after the ride I realized that this bike is so much forgiving and easy to ride compared to the pig. After getting out on the test drive I actually was a little disappointed in the power until I realized I was driving it like a v-twin and the revs were at 3k-4k once I got on it I realized I was waayy over the speed limit. It also has a nice hit in first if you twist hard. The brakes were a shock I was doing 80 or so and hit them and dammn you stop right now, that is so nice! Loved the gear indicator and display in general you can never have too much information. Also was very surprised at the windshield it came up way higher than I thought it would totally blocked the wind which today was a bad thing so I put it back down. It was refreshing to drive a bike that doesn't weigh so much and easy to move and turn. I think after hitting the brakes that I can not do anything but get a fjr as its a safety issue. Well we will see what happens the dealer a Harley shop wants to really lowball my Suzuki. I've already decided if the deal falls through i'm trading my c109 in at some point for a fjr anyway. Forgot to mention on the road a do rag type Harley guy is coming and just to test I give him the biker wave and nothing, I was laughing, that was awesome. On my big C always get a wave. Everyone say a prayer and I too shall be a fjr owner soon.

Bill.

Welcome to the forum. Don't know if you've been cruising the forum much before, but you'll find that there's a great deal of information about the FJR here, not to mention a whole bunch of great guys. Ya not only get an FJR, ya get a family. Just remember that every family has a few black sheep. We got so much advice to give, we even give it when ya don't want it... HOHOHO.

Sorry to hear that you made the mistake of driving an FJR. For what it's worth, you're not alone. We've all BTDT. Sounds like you've been bit. Just don't make the mistake of changing your mind. Let us know the prices you're talking about so we can give ya some feed back. Might be able to save you a small fortune. A couple nice things about the FJR: you're looking at a bike that is seriously reliable, handles like it's on rails, and is fairly easy to work on. Compared to it's BMW competition, it's much cheaper to maintain. And with an aftermarket windshield and maybe a seat (depends on yer butt), you've got a nice long distance machine that can really carve up the curves as well. Some of our members have even embarrassed sport bike riders at this.

Keep us posted.

Gary

darksider #44

Forgot to add that at the end of the ride I was still stitting on the fjr telling my wife how much I loved everything about the bike and there was this guy that really looked like a Harley guy come over and starts spouting off statistics about the fjr how fast it is and on and on. My wife thought he was going to cause trouble because there was a big Harley event in town and lots of bikers, the actually told me they hid all the metrics in the "barn" so they would not be seen. I realized he was a fan of the fjr because as I said it was the most comfortable bike I had ever been on he had a little grin on his face (in a good way). The whole time I was test riding and looking at this bike there was several Harley guys and gals giving me the look I loved it. Don't get me wrong I love all bikes and they have some nice bikes but the stereotype is really old.

Welcome to the board. Getting the FJR will be a life changer, and there will be no looking back! Best of luck!

This bike already has an aftermarket corbin seats and givi trunk. they are asking 11,400 if they don't come down or offer more for my c109 I might look into a another fjr at the local Yamaha or Suzuki shop.

I bought my '11 three years ago and have 28K on it now. Absolutely no problems, only routine fluid/filter/tire changes. It's hard to beat this bike for performance, comfort, looks, and reliability. You won't be sorry you came over to our camp, especially from the cruiser world.

Of course, that's my opinion...I could be wrong

Bump time:

C'mon guys, post up: Our OP is looking at a 2011 w/ 11k miles, a Givi w/lights and a Corbin: 11,400. What do ya think?

I'm givin' the farkles about 400 bucks of added value, so I'm thinking 11 "even" for the bike itself w/o farkles, pending that Bill likes the Corbin thus far. I'd be thinking more like 10900 for the package. 'Course, that's not even considering what's going on with the trade. Where ya at on that c109, Bill? Have ya checked the Bluebook quotes?

Gary

darksider #44

Bill:

Keep in mind that a brand new 2013 can be had for about 12999 if yer willing to do a fly and drive... just for comparison sake. And that one comes with cruise.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its mine! Closed the deal today and drove it home from work. They were not going to do a deal, they didn't really want my c109 and then they didn't want to give me much for it and finally we told them fine well go somewhere else. They called back in 10 minutes and said its done. I need to go to sleep but will post some pictures Monday, busy working this weekend. Looking forward to reading up on the fjr and good tips and information on this forum.

The only thing I found I don't care for so far and I am sure it can be adjusted is the left foot peg to shifter distance. It is very hard to fit my size 12 boot for upshifts. I see it can be moved a little, is there aftermarket solutions to this?

It can be moved A LOT...just a little if you use the turnbuckle adjusters, but the A LOT if you remove the upper connection bracket and rotate it one "click" on the splined shaft. That's what I had to to for my 13 1/2 Triple E feet.

Are you still wearing cruiser boots ?

Try a good pair of spot/Touring Boots

Ohh and welcome home

I too left the Star Cruisers for a FJR and Super Tenere

Scooper

The pictures are pronounced this way:

100_0427_zpscceca844.jpg

100_0423_00_zps97f9dd96.jpg

smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent 6-7 hours today learning the fjr found and checked the air filter-k & n was ok, changed the final gear oil, checked the coolant- good for 25 below that wont due have to change it out before winter, I like it to be good for 40 or just over 40 below just in case. Adjusted the shifter 1/3inch up or so and now is no problem getting my boot under it. Added a pigtail for my battery tender to the battery. First bike I have owned that the battery isn't under the seat. Worries me opening the plastics but I learned to be carefull, only broke 1 very small tab off before I got the hang of it. Next week or 2 will change the oil and antifreeze and that should be good until I put it away for winter.