(Possibly) MC Related Vascular Condition

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just found this thread, and glad to hear all is going well.

The other half had issues with calf pain several years ago that he ignored thinking it was just a pulled or strained muscle. About a week later he scheduled an urgent visit with his doctor's office because he was having trouble catching his breath after any mild exertion at work. They tossed him in an ambulance and sent him straight to the ER. Multiple DVTs in his leg and multiple PEs in both lungs. He was lucky! And yes, it does make you stop and realize just how fragile life is.

They never did determine a cause, although one doctor insisted it was due to too much time on a motorcycle...

As a result he's on Coumadin for life. His doctor refused to consider any of the other options due to the lack of reversal options previously mentioned.

He has a home tester now which saves him from monthly trips to the Coag Clinic. I bought him a medi-alert medalian that he wears 24/7 stating that he takes Coumadin and I also put together a couple of clot kits for him -- one for his work truck and the other for his tank bag. They include gauze and a pouch of Celox which I heard good things about from a few medical professionals. Which reminds me, I probably need to order him a few fresh pouches of Celox.

Ross, best of luck for a better riding season this year!

Glad to hear that you are doing well! I am recuperating from a double cardiac ablation and am taking eliquis for the next three months so I will probably carry some sort of card in case of a trauma inducing accident. I am feeling a lot better and hope to be at one of the forum events. I had to cancel doing the southern Indiana ride Allen C set up because of the afib.

In my case, a PE was not officially diagnosed but I had an episode of extreme breathlessness a couple of days before the DVT was diagnosed. Several days of IV heparin in the hospital and now Eliquis for life. Hematologist recommended the perpetual blood thinners because a root cause could not be found. I have no obvious issues with the Eliquis - bruising, bleeding from minor cuts etc. No reversal agent currently available but one currently under development. I decided that I would accept the risk rather than deal with the hassle of Coumadin.

I was on coumadin a few years ago. It was a major hassle and the nurses were guessing about half the time on appropriate dosing. They about killed me once and I got my cardiologist to switch to pradaxa.

I'm on the coumadin for life and don't find it a hassle. As long as you realize it's rat poison and get tested regular. My dose hasn't changed in years. Got on it after a stroke caused from afib. Now have a pacemaker for the afib but the practicing pros say I still need rat poison.

An old thread, but got me thinking about my situation. I'm on 90mg of Ticagrelor (Brilinta) and 80mg aspirin / day since June when I had a cardiac episode and they installed a stent in my RCA. I feel fantastic and no side effects from the meds and I desparately want to get out riding, but concerned about the risks of bleeding? I think my dosage is pretty high, but I only have to be on these drugs until next Spring. I wonder if there is an antidote/reversal options with Ticagrelor....actually an anti-platelet med rather than a blood thinner if that makes any difference.

An old thread, but got me thinking about my situation. I'm on 90mg of Ticagrelor (Brilinta) and 80mg aspirin / day since June when I had a cardiac episode and they installed a stent in my RCA. I feel fantastic and no side effects from the meds and I desparately want to get out riding, but concerned about the risks of bleeding? I think my dosage is pretty high, but I only have to be on these drugs until next Spring. I wonder if there is an antidote/reversal options with Ticagrelor....actually an anti-platelet med rather than a blood thinner if that makes any difference.
Tough decision. Due to some strange clotting factors, they have me on both Plavix and Eliquis after I had what turned out to be a small ischemic stroke couple of years ago (after my DVT). I still don't bleed excessively if I get a cut or bruise easily. To me, motorcycling is important enough that I will accept a higher bleeding risk due to medication. Very personal choice.
If my situation was temporary, I would probably choose to wait until I was off the meds but my doctor(s) have recommended that I keep taking them indefinitely. In your shoes, I would probably wait it out...
Note: I have no normal clotting risk. Low BP, low cholesterol/triglycerides, not overweight, decent diet, non-smoker, get lots of exercise, no family history, no heart condition or atrial fibrillation.

No idea about "antidote" for your meds.
Nothing readily available for Eliquis although they are apparently working on one - haven't checked status lately.

Tough decision. Due to some strange clotting factors, they have me on both Plavix and Eliquis after I had what turned out to be a small ischemic stroke couple of years ago (after my DVT). I still don't bleed excessively if I get a cut or bruise easily. To me, motorcycling is important enough that I will accept a higher bleeding risk due to medication. Very personal choice.
If my situation was temporary, I would probably choose to wait until I was off the meds but my doctor(s) have recommended that I keep taking them indefinitely. In your shoes, I would probably wait it out...

Thanks, I think I will wait it out. There's not much riding weather left anyway this season and my golf could use some attention.

I'm just now reading this story and all I can say is WOW. Getting older (closing in on 63) is definitely not for the weak. I've had my share of maladies, despite a lifetime of fitness, but nothing like this story. Yikes.

I'm just now reading this story and all I can say is WOW. Getting older (closing in on 63) is definitely not for the weak. I've had my share of maladies, despite a lifetime of fitness, but nothing like this story. Yikes.
It's a case of "Shit Happens". Some odd clotting factor. In my case, it wasn't a "one-off" occurrence. As mentioned, I had a minor stroke a couple of years ago whereupon they upped my Eliquis dosage and added Plavix to further reduce clotting risk...
I am in overall good health. No known risk factors other than being male and 60 years old (at the time, currently 68).
I am 6'3" and 200 lb and in good physical condition. I do 10-12 hours in the gym per week (less in summer) and do 50:50 strength training and fairly high intensity cardio. Low-normal blood pressure, no cardiac issues etc.

It can happen to anyone.
You can reduce the likelihood with decent diet, BP control, and regular cardiovascular exercise. Keep an eye on cholesterol/triglycerides, maintain adequate hydration. Avoid situations where you may have to be immobile for extended periods of time - take a break and walk around, or at least stand.

Another that just saw this thread. Had an accident in '17, broke a number of bones, was "shaken, not stired". Showed a-fib a couple of times before they let me out 19 days later, did a chest CT when they were thinking about releasing me that showed embolie all through my lungs that lead to a filter being placed below my veina cava. Put me on eloquis, started peeing blood due to a previous kidney issue and being "shaken, not stired". So stopped that. Four months later developed severe back pain that went away after peeing blood, presumed kidney stone. Week later same pain, shortly after my right leg swelled up because I had clots down both legs from the filter down. Bunch of graphic stuff later, I've been on eliquis or xralto since. Job leads to a lot of wounds on my arms, but all can be stopped in about the same amount of time as before all this, my Dr.s feel riding is ok, an acceptible risk. I can't imagine not riding, so I agree. One firm landing after a kid opened a car door on me as I was coming to a stop sign, so far so good.