Rider down - Frushlorton - on the way home from EOM 2015

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just read this and so sorry for the accident. When will people start taking their time and paying attention when driving? My guess is never. Just 2 weeks ago my brother had the same thing happen to him. A guy too anxious to turn into an ice cream place turned right in front of him. "Sorry, I didn't see him!", the guy says. YOU THINK? Sorry.....got on my soap box there. I've just about had it with people not caring about others when they drive.

Thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

Last edited by a moderator:
Flush, sometimes it makes sense to buy the total back from the insurance company, when cost to restore is relatively low. They will declare it a total when "estimated" damage is at 2/3rds of the value or more. I went this route with my first FJR - was paid $9,200 by insurance, bought it back for $2,800, spent $2,300 on restoration (and had one of two red '03s in the country). But be aware that the "salvage" status will devalue the bike for resale purposes by 50 percent or so. Restoration, then, can make a lot of sense if you want to keep the bike and ride it indefinitely. If you ever do try to sell it, then good records documenting damage and repair are helpful to your cause. Were your farkles insured? If not, strip them before the carcass goes to auction.

Glad you are here to ponder these issues. Heal fast and heal well.

I thought about purchasing as a salvage but have too many projects on hold now. Also, don't think I would like seeing it leave piece by piece. The insurance company picked it up yesterday to stop the storage fees.

Steve - I've totaled two FJR's. First one, let the insurance take it because I was in no shape mentally or physically to deal with a part out. Second one I purchased and parted out. I came out way ahead on that one in the end, but it was a difficult process at times. If you want to chat about pros / cons, give me a call.

BTW - I'd rather do push ups all day long than navigate anything with Tri-Care, so hats off to you my friend. With our case, we ended up with a case manager that was our go to for everything and she was outstanding - it was actually the best experience we ever had with Tri-Care. Not sure if that is still an option or what the trigger is today, but it's worth asking...

Wayne

Isn't it great that you are home and have to deal with things like the insurance company? Beats the alternative of what could have happened in the crash. Wishing you all the best healing. Doug

Went to court today as a witness for Virginia. The lady who pulled in front of me was charged with Failure to Yield ROW when entering roadway. The judge said it was obvious her actions caused the accident. However, since her insurance company was covering my "loss" and she had a clean record, she was found not guilty.

He indicated he would have found her guilty of failure to provide care and attention at the County level but since it was the troopers that ticketed her, it was not in his power.

All organs are healing well. Still working with ortho and physical therapy for shoulder and wrist. Had no idea the wrist was hurt as bad as it was until worked my way off all pain meds. It was cool today to see the metal coils in the spleen on the x-ray. Looked like bright worms on the film.

Went to court today as a witness for Virginia. The lady who pulled in front of me was charged with Failure to Yield ROW when entering roadway. The judge said it was obvious her actions caused the accident. However, since her insurance company was covering my "loss" and she had a clean record, she was found not guilty.
He indicated he would have found her guilty of failure to provide care and attention at the County level but since it was the troopers that ticketed her, it was not in his power.
So basically if she does this again, she will still have a clean record.

Glad you're healing up 'Frush, hope the recovery continues to go well for you.

Can't say I follow the legal process, as wheatie says...it's pretty fooked up!

--G

That's not logical since the failure to yield is a yes or no question, not contingent on the insurance covering damages. I suspect if need be, you have a civil remedy, and the judge's determination and deliberation would be admissible..

Steve,

Glad you are being compensated so far, but your injuries can cause long term issues. Make sure you cover your six there. I can't believe the judge let her off! That's crazy. It is official court record that the judge said her actions caused the accident. Civil suit may be necessary as Tom said.

BTW - We still need to get together now that the holidays are behind us.

Just received pics from the trooper on scene. It looks worse than I remember (don't recall anything after going to the brakes).

This is the view she would have had as she entered the roadway.

99410029.jpg

It now looks like she had her wheels cut and as I tried to make it around when she stopped, I caught the front tire with something, maybe while skidding and sent me sliding on my noggin (white skid mark). That and my shoulder were all that had slide marks.

99410013.jpg

The bike looked better in the garage before the insurance company took it away. Can't believe what the scene looked like.

99410008.jpg

99410009.jpg

Saw ortho, he says give it another six months before declaring it is what it will be.