Power Commander III install question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oregonian

Reaction score
This is probably pretty simple but couldn't find an answer on the PCIII install instructions or on the FJR tech site. I am plugging in the harness and know the two white plugs go to the existing harness. My question is in regards to the black plugs on the right. Do I leave this unconnected? I notice they can plug into themselves but that would seem pointless. Just wanted to make sure....I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks!

20130505_104730_resized_zpsf0bc88ac.jpg

Uhhhh....I'm a knucklehead. I didn't realize I plugged the PC inline and all 4 connectors would be utilized. DOH!

Thanks Lee, I ended up finding that. This is one of those posts where I answered my own question about 30 seconds after I posted...I was gonna edit and delete it all but who knows, maybe another dummy will wonder the same thing one day
rolleyes.gif

Thanks Lee, I ended up finding that. This is one of those posts where I answered my own question about 30 seconds after I posted...I was gonna edit and delete it all but who knows, maybe another dummy will wonder the same thing one day
rolleyes.gif
That's OK, soon you'll be posting help for map downloads and other questions about the PCIII.

I have a PCIII on mine, run Remus Hexicone slip-ons and modified air box. I didn't care for any of the maps on the PC site so I merged Wally's smoothness map with a Dale's Holeshot map and tweaked a few cells even further and was pleased with the results.

Since yours is a Gen 1 and maybe stock, YRMV ( Gen. 1 and 2 maps are not directly compatible but you can transfer the data to convert ) but a good place to start is Wally's map. You can also search some threads for some more ideas. I think Fred W. is running a nice map in his Gen. 1.

rolleyes.gif
That's OK, soon you'll be posting help for map downloads and other questions about the PCIII.

I have a PCIII on mine, run Remus Hexicone slip-ons and modified air box. I didn't care for any of the maps on the PC site so I merged Wally's smoothness map with a Dale's Holeshot map and tweaked a few cells even further and was pleased with the results.

Since yours is a Gen 1 and maybe stock, YRMV ( Gen. 1 and 2 maps are not directly compatible but you can transfer the data to convert ) but a good place to start is Wally's map. You can also search some threads for some more ideas. I think Fred W. is running a nice map in his Gen. 1.
Thanks, yes I'm sure I will be asking map questions next. I am running a K&N with a full Muzzy system (due for delivery this week). I wrote to Muzzy and they sent me their map for the full system. Figured I would start there and see how I like it :)

rolleyes.gif

Thanks, yes I'm sure I will be asking map questions next. I am running a K&N with a full Muzzy system (due for delivery this week). I wrote to Muzzy and they sent me their map for the full system. Figured I would start there and see how I like it
smile.png
My bike used to have a K&N but after some research into independent (not advert. hype) flow data and filtration testing, I went back to stock. BUT, to increase intake air I modded the airbox based on info from forum member Uselesspickles and others. Actual dyno testing revealed that the FJR can benefit from more air. It looks like you are after more performance by the way you are setting it up so the airbox mod may be of interest to you.

Check out Uselesspickles under members and search airbox modding for some good info. I have several contributions to airbox threads as well.

Thanks, yes I'm sure I will be asking map questions next. I am running a K&N with a full Muzzy system (due for delivery this week). I wrote to Muzzy and they sent me their map for the full system. Figured I would start there and see how I like it
smile.png
I'd still start with the PC map for Gen I. AFAIK, it's configured for best throttle response throughout the full range without regard to modifications or mileage. Use that to establish a base line then try other maps.

rolleyes.gif

smile.png
My bike used to have a K&N but after some research into independent (not advert. hype) flow data and filtration testing, I went back to stock. BUT, to increase intake air I modded the airbox based on info from forum member Uselesspickles and others. Actual dyno testing revealed that the FJR can benefit from more air. It looks like you are after more performance by the way you are setting it up so the airbox mod may be of interest to you.

Check out Uselesspickles under members and search airbox modding for some good info. I have several contributions to airbox threads as well.
I will look into that for sure!

smile.png
I'd still start with the PC map for Gen I. AFAIK, it's configured for best throttle response throughout the full range without regard to modifications or mileage. Use that to establish a base line then try other maps.
Would that be the "zero" map?

smile.png
Would that be the "zero" map?
No, the zero map doesn't change anything. Their base configuration is the "stock" map.

I was seriously underwhelmed by the "stock" map for my 1st gen. Didn't go nearly far enough. Tried the Wally's Smoothness map, and that was better, but still too lean in the low throttle percent columns. Eventually got a copy of a map from another forum member that he had custom made by Ryan Schnitz Tuning for his '05 and that one does the job very well.

I have the Wally map and the Schnitz map hosted here:

Wally’s Smoothness Map for 1st Gen PCIII right click, download

Ryan Schnitz Tuning Custom Map for 1st Gen PCIII right click, download

Also, don't forget to unplug the O2 sensor or the rest is for naught.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was seriously underwhelmed by the "stock" map for my 1st gen. Didn't go nearly far enough. Tried the Wally's Smoothness map, and that was better, but still too lean in the low throttle percent columns. Eventually got a copy of a map from another forum member that he had custom made by Ryan Schnitz Tuning for his '05 and that one does the job very well.

That's the way to go about it.

The reason I recommend starting with the manufacturers recommendation is because I'm a former manufacturer of high performance equipment (nothing to do with motorcycles). We'd have people who where so in to modding everything that they'd mod our stuff before trying our way. Then, just to really tic us off they'd complain about something we'd already addressed in our original configuration.

You know the old joke that goes - if you can't figure it out you can always fall back on using the instructions?

Last edited by a moderator:

Excellent, thanks!

Fred:

Thanks for posting the Schnitz map. I did a map comparo. with this map and my Wally's/Holeshot custom tweaked hybrid map, and the traces are very close. My map becomes a little richer starting from 40% throttle and 3500rpm on (Holeshot portion) which I found was better with my Hexicones and modded air box.

Maybe Oregonian can post the Muzzy's map so we can compare.

Fred:

Thanks for posting the Schnitz map. I did a map comparo. with this map and my Wally's/Holeshot custom tweaked hybrid map, and the traces are very close. My map becomes a little richer starting from 40% throttle and 3500rpm on (Holeshot portion) which I found was better with my Hexicones and modded air box.

Maybe Oregonian can post the Muzzy's map so we can compare.
I would be happy to, I would like your opinions on it anyway. I found it interesting in the map notes that they said the O2 was connected. How exactly do I attach a file here?

I would be happy to, I would like your opinions on it anyway. I found it interesting in the map notes that they said the O2 was connected. How exactly do I attach a file here?
You can't. You have to host the file elsewhere and then link to it. If you want to email it to me at FJR dot nerds at gmail dot com I can host it with those other files.

You can't. You have to host the file elsewhere and then link to it. If you want to email it to me at FJR dot nerds at gmail dot com I can host it with those other files.
I appreciate it! File sent.

Great! This forum is awesome, aint it? ( Just be careful what you post on Fridays ).
tonguesmiley.gif