Power socket swap

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creg-ny-baa

Reaction score
Wondered if anyone had exchanged the OE cigarette-lighter style outlet in the fairing box for a Powerlet style? I wondered how hard it is to get behind there and whether by some fluke you could just plug and play. IIRC, the powerlet plug is two spade lugs in "T" arrangement. Thx!

Hm. Betraying my noob status, I was unaware that the socket in the cubby only had a 3A fuse. Ran my heated vest w/o issue
unsure.png

I like the bracket mount you have for the Powerlet; I'm going to be using a Rambone, and the Garmin power lead is stupid long. I guess I could surface mount the plug, but hate to make new holes.

I mounted my powerlet on the left panel where the controller for heated grips mounts, [mine does not have the heat obviously}. Lots of room underneath. Use a uni-bit for drilling, it makes a nice round hole.

Aw, go ahead and drill some holes. I've got the beginning of a whole control panel on mine.

Left switch: Hella low beam aux lights. Right switch: Hella high beam aux. lights. Rotary dial: Hot Grips heated grips. Still room for a power outlet, etc.

fjrlights014.jpg

Looks clean enough! What was the source for the left switch? I need one like that for a different application.

Looks clean enough! What was the source for the left switch? I need one like that for a different application.
It's a Contura rocker switch purchased through https://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Switches/switches.html .

I ordered a bunch of stuff at one time since he has a $20 min. and is in Japan. It's waterproof for marine applications. Marine stores normally have them or other sources online. I wanted the dual LED one so I could easily locate the switch at night!

Eastern Beaver is in Japan? Jeebs. As often as I've seen folks mention that they've gotten electrical stuff from them, I'd never have thought it.