powermadd hand guards

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vic ray

Reaction score
I know I have read several threads about putting handguards on the FJR. I have been looking at the powermadd star series hand guards for ATV'S Snowmobiles and Motorcycles and I think they might look pretty good on the FJR.

One of the cool things about them other than their look, is they have a removable cover on them to let air in if you need ventilation. It looks like a good concept if they will work on the FJR.

Has anyone tried these or know if they will work?

Just yesterday I bought the 2004 V-strom DL1000 handguards with the screws for less than $25.00 at: RideNow, I'll pick them locally at the store, so I didn't pay for shipping. YRMV.

The 2004 models are at the bottom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Cow--forget it... :aaskull:

The wierd little bracket thingey won't mount anywhere on a FJR handlebar and there is no way that thing will stay stable at speed with a couple of lockwashers and single-point, single-axis mounting.

No way are those built for something that goes highway+ speeds.

Imagine the instability as those things start to flap around on the ends of your bars! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just yesterday I bought the 2004 V-strom DL1000 handguards with the screws for less than $25.00 at: RideNow, I'll pick them locally at the store, so I didn't pay for shipping. YRMV.
If the price includes the long unique screws that mount through the levers, you did real well for under $25.00

Those look okay...but I don't believe I would get them in pink as their homepage shows them in! Any takers on the pink? AZBiker girl?

Scythian,

don't shoot them down just yet. I looked at a pair of these yesterday and they are not flemsy. They are made of some pretty heavy duty plastic. Keep in mind they use these things on motorcross bikes all of the time.

As far as mounting goes, I know that is going to be the tricky part but I was looking at my bike last night and was thinking maby I could fabricate a aluminium bracket that attaches to where the mirrors normally go. If you look, there are holes for mirrors on the brackets that have plastic plugs in them. I don't think it would take to much to fab a bracket to mount these from there. Maby someone is already doing this.

I allready have a guy machining ZRX rear peg extenders and we are testing new FJR rear peg extenders allready. Maby I can get him to take a look at the bike to see what we could do. I just think the whole concept of the powermadd handguards is great. To be able to remove a plate to let air on your hands during hot days would be nice. Just something to think about.

I think after Christmas I will order a set and see if I can come up with something. You never know until you try.

don't shoot them down just yet. I looked at a pair of these yesterday and they are not flemsy. They are made of some pretty heavy duty plastic. Keep in mind they use these things on motorcross bikes all of the time.
I dunno....

It's not that the actual guards are flimsy, it's that single longitudinal screw attaching it to the bracket. It looks like the thing would rotate and flop around when doing a ton down the highway.

I think it's fine for motocross speeds, but air gets pretty heavy above 60mph....

'K... I give up.

I don't know how the hell to use the 'QUOTE' button. I tried it before the text, after the text and before and after the text. No worky...

they look good ,, I am not sure you are going to get enough wind protection ,, which is what I am looking for ,, as for the mounting ,, if they can withstand the impact of a 45 foot drop to landing and the shaking from the moto track they should hold pretty well ,, I'd like to know your results ,,

That's definately a good price for what you got, but looking at their parts list on your link, you will still be lacking the woefully expensive but all important lever pivot bolts at ~$10 each! Without those, you won't be able to mount the guards. The Suzi-Q part # is 57431-06G00 and you need 2. Although, if I had it to do over, instead of ordering those $10 apiece bolts, I think I'd drill and tap the stock pivot bolts, make a little spacer (a stack of little washers would do the job in a pinch), and get a longer screw to attach the guard to the stock pivot bolt. It wouldn't take much at all. If you're handy with a drill and tap and die set, I think I'd go that route.

'K...  I give up.
I don't know how the hell to use the 'QUOTE' button.  I tried it before the text, after the text and before and after the text.  No worky...
Just punch "quote" an type away in the box, it'l appear. :clap:

:jester:

I don't know how the hell to use the 'QUOTE' button.
First, click on the "Quote Post" of the post you wish to comment on, a new box will appear for you to type in.

If you scroll down, you'll see the quoted passage , but that's not for you to type in, only to edit out what you don't want, as I did with your original post.

When finished, scroll down to the "add reply" or "preview post" buttons.

Now, is it "clear as mud"? :unsure: