Looking to wrap my FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevinLewis

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I am looking to wrap my FJR in pure matt black color.
But now I am having second thoughts about wrapping. I am a bit worried if it would affect my magnetic tank bag stickiness and would the wrap can peel my original paint while removing it.
I have this Tank bag (https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-survival-series-motorcycle-tank-bag) and so far the magnetic never bothered me.

Please share your thoughts.

Wraps (from personal experience with wrapping my car): No more car washes. All hand washing. Doesn't play well with rubbing (shiney wrap turns dull, and vice versa). Doesn't weather well, so parking outside in SWestern summers will kill them, etc.

Removing takes the same lever of expertise as application to avoid damaging the paint. So, pay to install and pay to remove.

Not bad but you need to go in with your eyes open.

FWIW, I doubt the wrap would have any effect on the magnets of the tank bag holding to the tank. In fact, I add a good layer of painters tape on the landing spots for the magnets to prevent dirt/grit from damaging the paint and it does nothing to reduce adhesion.

I agree with Bounce about the wrap - relatively fragile. Matt black is probably the worst for showing dirt and will get HOT in direct sun. Lots of irregular shapes to cover - especially on the nose cowling. Whoever is doing it better be good.

Hi Everyone,

So I am looking to wrap my FJR in pure matt black color.
But now I am having second thoughts about wrapping. I am a bit worried if it would affect my magnetic tank bag stickiness and would the wrap can peel my original paint while removing it.
I have this Tank bag (https://www.vikingbags.com/viking-survival-series-motorcycle-tank-bag) and so far the magnetic never bothered me.

Please share your thoughts.
I put paint protection film on the tank, and elsewhere, absolutely no effect on tank bag magnets and it is just as shiny 6 year later. But why bother wrapping if your paint is in good shape, this matt rage will pass and then you will have a job removing the stuff.

FWIW, I doubt the wrap would have any effect on the magnets of the tank bag holding to the tank. In fact, I add a good layer of painters tape on the landing spots for the magnets to prevent dirt/grit from damaging the paint and it does nothing to reduce adhesion.

I agree with Bounce about the wrap - relatively fragile. Matt black is probably the worst for showing dirt and will get HOT in direct sun. Lots of irregular shapes to cover - especially on the nose cowling. Whoever is doing it better be good.
Too thin to affect magnets. HOWEVER the pressure of the magnets might compress the wrap in that area (visible dimples) or tear the wrap if removed with a swipe across the surface.

Too thin to affect magnets. HOWEVER the pressure of the magnets might compress the wrap in that area (visible dimples) or tear the wrap if removed with a swipe across the surface.
I have seen a lot of messed up tanks from tank bags - not necessarily magnetic ones but those are much worse as grit gets ground between the magnet and tank. The "wrap" is going to be more fragile than paint! You have to keep tank bags scrupulously clean - especially the magnet area. Those seem to be able to "find" and hold magnetic grit that will ruin paint. Yes, and don't drag the bag to remove it!! Lift the magnets individually. I used to use a microfibre cloth between the bag and the tank but I found it tended to collect grit and it became a problem when riding in the rain.

I only use a tank bag for longer trips and use the painter's tape trick to protect the tank on a couple inches surrounding the magnet landing points. Looks like crap but saves the paint - can't see much of it with the bag in place anyway. Replace it when it gets wet. Seems to me that our friend @dcarver has been known to completely cover his tank with tape!

I think if I used a tank bag on a daily basis (and didn't need an especially large volume), I would get one of the ones (Givi and others) that attaches to a bracket around the gas cover. The bag never touches the tank at all and it is easily removed for a gas fill-up. For now, my Nelson Rigg magnetic bag works well enough for me - I just wish it was waterproof without the cover.

I put paint protection film on the tank, and elsewhere, absolutely no effect on tank bag magnets and it is just as shiny 6 year later. But why bother wrapping if your paint is in good shape, this matt rage will pass and then you will have a job removing the stuff.
Thanks all for your suggestions, Actually, I've been riding for a long time the paint condition is good but the I'm getting bored of this color, so I thought I should keep the paint original and should go for the wrap on it, as the color will be changed and the original paint will not be affected. I also heard that if the paint is original then removing the wrap is not an issue, please share your thoughts on it.

I have seen a lot of messed up tanks from tank bags - not necessarily magnetic ones but those are much worse as grit gets ground between the magnet and tank. The "wrap" is going to be more fragile than paint! You have to keep tank bags scrupulously clean - especially the magnet area. Those seem to be able to "find" and hold magnetic grit that will ruin paint. Yes, and don't drag the bag to remove it!! Lift the magnets individually. I used to use a microfibre cloth between the bag and the tank but I found it tended to collect grit and it became a problem when riding in the rain.

I only use a tank bag for longer trips and use the painter's tape trick to protect the tank on a couple inches surrounding the magnet landing points. Looks like crap but saves the paint - can't see much of it with the bag in place anyway. Replace it when it gets wet. Seems to me that our friend @dcarver has been known to completely cover his tank with tape!

I think if I used a tank bag on a daily basis (and didn't need an especially large volume), I would get one of the ones (Givi and others) that attaches to a bracket around the gas cover. The bag never touches the tank at all and it is easily removed for a gas fill-up. For now, my Nelson Rigg magnetic bag works well enough for me - I just wish it was waterproof without the cover.
You may be correct but never had an issue with the tank bag that I'm using regarding ruining the paint, it's been more than a year I'm using this tank bag on my FJR and the paint on the tank doesn't get effect so much, there are some scratched at that area but are not visible easily, maybe because of less usage and using it with precautions my bike paint remained unaffected. Anyway, thank you so much for your suggestion, they will be helpful to me from now, I appreciated it.

Thanks all for your suggestions, Actually, I've been riding for a long time the paint condition is good but the I'm getting bored of this color, so I thought I should keep the paint original and should go for the wrap on it, as the color will be changed and the original paint will not be affected. I also heard that if the paint is original then removing the wrap is not an issue, please share your thoughts on it.
Doesn't matter if the paint is original or not. It has to be removed a certain way to avoid damage. Most people end up going back to the same wrap company to have it removed for about the 3rd of the cost of the installation.

You may be correct but never had an issue with the tank bag that I'm using regarding ruining the paint, it's been more than a year I'm using this tank bag on my FJR and the paint on the tank doesn't get effect so much, there are some scratched at that area but are not visible easily, maybe because of less usage and using it with precautions my bike paint remained unaffected. Anyway, thank you so much for your suggestion, they will be helpful to me from now, I appreciated it.

So Much<>None

If on a wrap, the damage would be likely to be much worse. Given your assessment and "so much" being acceptable, it may be of no consequence to you.