Prayers for the family's in Newtown, CT

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As most of you know, I am a middle school teacher intensive reading teacher. News like this really hits me. I look into those innocent faces and I'm reminded of the importance of what I do for a living. Sometimes my kids moan and groan about the "lock down" drills that we do every couple months. These drills are designed to help the kids practice what we're supposed to do in the event that something awful, something like THIS happens. Like most kids, my students have a hard time being serious about these drills, and most of them live in that dream world of youth. It's hard for them to imagine the unimaginable.

Which is exactly as it should be. No child should have to concern themselves with this sort of thing. My soul, what is happening to this world? It makes you thnk, is it ever going to end? I've often wondered what I'd do if came down to having to stand between my students and somebody with a gun. Hopefully, if that day ever comes, I'll have the courage to do what's right. Of course we would all hope that it never comes down to that. But until then, I'll just have to do my best to help my kids to take these drills seriously. Days like today remind us all that we've got to try to be prepared.

For now, may the Lord bless and encourage the affected families.

Gary

darksider #44
Back in the stone age whan I was a little tyke, we used to have bomb drills. we would cower under our desks awaiting the nuclear disaster the commies were surely about to send. I don't think I am any worse for it.

I'd like to see a few teachers in each school armed. Perhaps if schools weren't such an easy target we would see less of ths sort of thing.

I saw this story on the evening news after work. As they were showing photos of parents franticly rushing toward the school, or of one who reacted to the worst of news, I had tears well up in my eyes. Thinking about what must have happened, or of all the families and what they are going through, really gave me a somber pause.

As a parent, I feel the devastation that they are forced to accept, and know that there's not one thing that will bring any relief, but maybe time...maybe. I'm not a religous person, but did say a prayer for them as I went to sleep.

This is such an unthinkable tragedy, and sadly it likely won't be the last.

Unfathomable tragedy.

As a father with three in elementary school (four, next year), I am stunned and chilled to my core. As is my wife. We just can't imagine what those parents and families are going through. Our prayers go out to them. I hugged my kids extra long when they got off the bus.

Let's just grieve for the little ones for awhile...

I have my own opinions as to what should be done...but it's just time for weeping now.

Unbelievable. For the life of me, I can't figure out WTF is wrong with people. I see the worst of society almost every day and this still stuns me. I can't imagine the pain and loss those parents feel.

What Zilla said. Nobody could. I had it on the tv yesterday morning when the facts were just coming out. Once they knew "what" had happened, the only thing the networks had left to go to was the "reaction" part, and that's when I turned it off. Once they got to the close-ups of the grieving parents and the crying kids, they passed the "too much" mark. The news of this was sufficiently horrible for me. I don't need network anchors or politicians to explain how I should feel about it. Profound sadness for everyone touched by this.

So, why not take action as a thinking, feeling human being rather than leaving it all up to a god that allowed this to happen in the first place?
Please leave your issues about religion out of this...

People in the area hurting from this are commonly seeking comfort with clergy and chaplains, etc. Although, I do not believe in God anymore, I still respect the work that these people do and help that these people give.

So, why not take action as a thinking, feeling human being rather than leaving it all up to a god that allowed this to happen in the first place?
Please leave your issues about religion out of this...
Better yet.....everybody leave every issue about religion out of it. We'll all do better to let people grieve how they personally see fit and keep this place about FJRs. :)

Thanks.

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
....brothers, sisters, parents, grand-parents, aunts & uncles, countless friends, devastated from this senseless tragedy. This is the kind of place we all want to grow up in, such a sweet little town.The impact is wide on a small town, and surrounding community like this. It hurts, very painful....