Am I being scammed?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Posted a Wanted item (Audiovox CCS 100) here. No one replied. Then a "message" from a 'Matt Staines' saying a person named Andy Hartnett had one, new, and provided an email. I've been emailing Andy back and forth.. and now my spideee senses are running a 12 out of 10. The English and grammar don't seem to be a first language, wants me to send money PayPal as Friends and Family to someone else...

The bad part is, I don't recall how I received the 'message'. I've checked private PM's from this site and the other sand box, nothing. Checked my iPhone, nothing.

Does anyone know of Matt Staines or Andy Hartnett?

Is this legit?

yes you are. Want ads seem to bring the scammers out. First cluse is they try to get you off the site and into another email thread to scam you. Second is they will ask for a Venmo payment which once you send, you cannot recover any money.

Thanks guys. Here's the email thread..

I signed my name as Don, not 'Donald' yet he addresses me with 'Donald'..
Hello Donald
Yes I have it available for sale
Where are you located?

Thanks
------------
Ok
Will you be open to shipping?

Thanks
--------
Hello Donald
I’m located at Arkansas
Will you be open to shipping?

Thanks
-------
Hello Donald
Considering the distance I wanna be fair with my price
Let me know how much you are willing to offer with shipping to you
As I don’t want to sway you away with my price

It is new in box

Thanks
-------
Hello Donald
I’m awaiting your response

Thanks
-------
Hello Donald
How is 130 shipped to you?

Which address am I shipping to?
Thanks
--------
Hello Donald
Can I use my son PayPal?
He can accept payment as friends and family so as to fasten, shipping will be made today and I will send you the tracking number

Let me know if that works for you

Thanks
----------

Whew! Well, he got my POB and physical address.. but that's all.

Thanks guys, appreciate the help.
..and Good Job, Cycle!

D

Once someone is banned, if they register again it will make it where we must manually approve them and it will show who he shares an IP, name or email with that was banned. Then we can ban them again. It's sorta like "whack a mole".

And the length of time the forum goes back to compare IPs, name, emails is set for a long time so the sock puppets and scammers have a more difficult time of things.

In the future, if this happens to anyone, please copy the PM (and contact info of the author) and send it as a PM to us Admins (admin, Cycle, igancio, me). Better yet, if there is a REPORT button on that inbox PM, use it and let it do all that for you automatically.

He tried to convince me that he had a Throttlemeister the same way. PM only...no posts. He went away when I asked him for photos and the price.
Ive got a throttlemeister for sale, but the adapters on it are for threaded fz1 bars.