• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy: March 1st - March 30th 2013 (details inside)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent post on the K1600 forum - "BIG Dallas LED Shootout RESULTS".

The post contains some good calibrated photos showing the relative strengths of stock headlights vs all the Clearwater lights (Erica's, Darla's, Krista's and Glenda's and even the Andie flashlight).

I've ordered the Erica's and Darla's and was relieved to see a ride report that says it's ok to run with both in traffic - "I made the trip (Dallas to Austin) with mounted Erica's, AND mounted Darla's aimed low at 50% power. I was never once flashed by traffic from either direction, so now I can safely say that the lights can be awesome without being offensive."

They also make reference to a new programmable volume dimmer switch as well as the new Erica brackets.

Hey ! Thanks for putting this group buy together. As I already blew the bike budget getting ready for mine and Mikes around North America in 6 weeks tour I just ordered a pair of Andy flash lights. Wow!

Background:

I was pulling a local police car out of the ditch this winter and had my flash light (not Andy) on looking under the cruiser for a safe spot to hook up. The officer came up and says "need some light?" As he clicked his Andy on and just about blinded me my only thought was ... SOLD!!. Holy crap! Portable sun in your pocket! if it's good enough for our Police force it's good enough for this tow truck operator.

I showed the video of the Andy lights to my son and he said he had to have one too.

Put me down as a happy customer. I will be buying a set of Krista's later this year.

Rob

I just installed a set of the Glenda's and they are perfect for what I was looking for. I bought them with the amber lens (which Clearwater included free of charge!) for daytime conspicuity. They are so bright and with the amber colour, you can see them coming a month away. I'm even noticing that drivers are picking me up in their rear view mirrors more frequently than they used to.

A great group buy.

It may be worth pointing out that Clearwater Lights cannot offer discounts to BMW riders or forums due to the fact it has BMW resellers and can't alianate that retail channel. It would be unkind to mention this group buy there, and more importantly could jeapardize future group buys here.

Last edited by a moderator:
It may be worth pointing out that Clearwater Lights cannot offer discounts to BMW riders or forums due to the fact it has BMW resellers and can't alianate that retail channel. It would be unkind to mention this group buy there, and more importantly could jeapardize future group buys here.
Thanks for the words of wisdom, Tom. Agreed, we were given a group buy that was not unlimited to the general public, I would appreciate (and so would Clearwater) if it was kept as an FJRForum deal! I'd be happy to try and get another Group buy possibly next year, it would help a lot to keep our relationship with them a positive one... which it definitely has been! :)

David, thanks for the review link... it makes me pretty excited to see how the Erica's look in person!

Also, I appreciate your thanks, it means a lot to know I could help out my fellow forum members! :D

can anyone offer a turnaround time from order placed to arrival? i ask, as i ordered mine 3/30 from glenn, but haven't received an email notification, posting to my credit card, or the lights. certainly they were busy towards the end of the month, but just trying to get a feel for what the time frame was (i ordered the darlas, if that matters).

and yes, i'll call tomorrow to get an update.

I called on 4/1, Lorett said they were busy and she would try to get it out by the end of the week. I haven't gotten the email notification yet. Sounds like they are swamped for the time being. Fortunately in the north we are under a winter storm warning with 6-12" of snow expected so it will be a while before I can use them. This waiting patiently is tough, seems I've gotten spoiled ;-)

can anyone offer a turnaround time from order placed to arrival? i ask, as i ordered mine 3/30 from glenn, but haven't received an email notification, posting to my credit card, or the lights. certainly they were busy towards the end of the month, but just trying to get a feel for what the time frame was (i ordered the darlas, if that matters).
and yes, i'll call tomorrow to get an update.
Mine was about 9 days, but that includes shipping time. However, the turnaround was 24 hours when I told them I needed my bezels because they forgot to include them in the order. Extremely quick customer service. These people are serious about doing things right. You won't find better customer service, period.

Call em.

Gary

Just got mine delivered today!
punk.gif
Now I gotta find someone to help install them for me...
uhoh.gif

holy crap. they worked on the first try! not dissing the lights, complimenting them and the company and the instructions that were really clear. they actually tell you what wires to tap into, where they are, what color, etc. i had already pulled off a different panel to tap into another hot wire, but didn't need to, with their very specific instructions. kudos to clearwater.

Dean,

Glad you didn't have to go through the nightmare I had. I wrote about it earlier in the thread. Congrats. Glad you didn't have to wait too terribly long. Did you adjust yours to be dead level, or did you angle them down slightly? You ordered the Darlas right? They mounted on the forks?

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting on the phone call that says they are fully ready for the CBA prezIdent to get some serious lighting installed.

Lord knows I need I need, had a less than 18" encounter with yet another Bambi just several days ago..

Dean,Glad you didn't have to go through the nightmare I had. I wrote about it earlier in the thread. Congrats. Glad you didn't have to wait too terribly long. Did you adjust yours to be dead level, or did you angle them down slightly? You ordered the Darlas right? They mounted on the forks?

Gary

darksider #44
gary,

yep, the darlas, yep right on the forks with no issues. i've them aimed dead level, i used a carpenters square to help aiming. i mounted the adjusting knob on that square piece where the heated grips adjuster goes for those bikes, that way i can just replace that small square in the future i need be. it's a bit of a reach, i'd suggest considering closer location for that knob, closer to the left clip-on, if not on it.

Agreed. Someone the west coast may beat me to the install. My delivery ETA is May 8 which will put the install next Saturday