• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy 2014 (Feb. 1st - Feb. 28th)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For everyone following this topic... I have finally added Group Buy pricing to the original post.

Please go BACK TO THE BEGINNING and re-read the original post, towards the bottom I have added group pricing under each light and also the ordering process.

Thanks for all the interest, I think we'll definitely have enough to qualify for the group buy! :)

Happy illuminated roads ahead,

Abe

Not to look a group buy in the mouth, or come off as a cheap b*stard, but I was hoping that the price on the Darla lights was going to be a bit less. If I add the mirror brackets, It's almost at the point where the Krista lights are the better deal. Hmmm, I may have to wait awhile...

I hadn't realized the first post was updated with prices. Krista is a great deal! That is what I paid several years ago and that was the lowest price I had ever heard of.

• Glenda 800 lumens, 12 watts (colored trim rings available at extra cost)
  • $305.00 (our price) Savings of $75

• Darla 2000 lumens, 20 watts (colored trim rings available at extra cost)
  • $425.00 (our price) Savings of $75

• Mirror Brackets: I know some members were interested in mounting Darlas under their mirrors instead of Kristas or Ericas. Glenn said that's no problem, they would work in that location. If you want the FJR specific mirror brackets he is dropping $25 off:
  • $ 50.00 (our price)

• Krista 2400 lumens, 36 watts
  • $549.00 (our price) includes FJR mirror brackets. Savings of $170

• Erica 6000 lumens, 60 watts
  • $749.00 (our price) includes FJR mirror brackets. Savings of $170

• Andie 1000 lumens, handheld rechargeable flashlight comparable in size to Streamlight and Surefire
  • $ 99.00 (our price) Includes charger and 2 rechargeable batteries. Savings of $20

After looking at the pricing again, I agree, the Krista is a pretty good deal. I may be able to swing the Krista, but I'll have to see if I get anything back from income tax this year.

Sorry for the other disparaging remarks. I do appreciate the time and effort it takes to set these group buys up, and also the cooperation of the Clearwater folks as well.

Don

Placed my order for a pair of Krista's this morning. Come on folks, get those orders in!

Placed my order for a pair of Krista's this morning. Come on folks, get those orders in!
Just placed my order for a set of Erica's. Lady was super nice. She also said there were 5 people that placed orders ahead of me and figured they would get 10 orders easily. Now if only it would stop snowing here...

Just placed my order for a set of Erica's. Lady was super nice. She also said there were 5 people that placed orders ahead of me and figured they would get 10 orders easily. Now if only it would stop snowing here...
I live north of you! Just had 6-8 inches of white death overnight Sunday and into Monday. Roads are cleared mostly, forecast calls for measureable amounts Tuesday night into Wednesday and more to come over the weekend!

I live north of you! Just had 6-8 inches of white death overnight Sunday and into Monday. Roads are cleared mostly, forecast calls for measureable amounts Tuesday night into Wednesday and more to come over the weekend!
Today..Ice and Rain..grr. the upside is I got shipping confirmation for these Erica's!

Looking to get Erica or Krista. Trying to find the place on the forum so I know how many watts comes off my Gen 1 generator/stator. I ride all year so heated gear and possible grips are also possible on the list. Reviewing Bin of facts info under historical info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking to get Erica or Krista. Trying to find the place on the forum so I know how many watts comes off my Gen 1 generator/stator. I ride all year so heated gear and possible grips are also possible on the list. Reviewing Bin of facts info under historical info.
The Gen1 has a 490 watt alternator. My calculations come to less than 290 watts to run the bike, not factoring in the fan. The fan is a manageable resource. If you're in a situation where your fan is on you can turn down/off your heated gear or turn off your aux lights. So that leaves at least 200 watts when riding of excess power. I run 2 sets of aux lights on my bike that total about 80 watts. And I can run my heated liner (77 watts) and heated gloves (27 watts) on full power with all lights on and never drop below 13.5 volts. That's 185 watts of accessories plus a few more for 2 GPS and radar detector.

Anyway, a pair of Kristas draws 70 watts. You'd be fine with those and heated gear. The Ericas pull 120 watts for a pair, so you might run into trouble when running them with heated gear. However, keep in mind, you can dim them to save power when needed. Just add a voltage meter to your bike so you can see the health of your charging system.

I run the Kristas with Warm N Safe gear and a number of other accessories with no problem. I save a few watts with HID headlights rather than halogen incandescent, Keep in mind any of these LED lights is usually running at 20% -60% on the dimmer unless you are in traffic free areas on bypass mode or driving through the night in the wee hours. These lights have the ability to give you tremendous light output, but in practice, you don't use it at 100% for extended periods of time. Think about driving with high beams on, and it's the same frequency.

That said, the Ericas produce more lights per watt than the older Kristas. So as long as you monitor bike voltage, you can get more light for fewer watts as long as you modulate the dimmer.

Just put my order in for the '08...

Erica(s) come to daddy!!!

BTW if you are holding out for the IBA discount coming this spring, this group buy is better.

I asked .

The Gen1 has a 490 watt alternator. My calculations come to less than 290 watts to run the bike, not factoring in the fan. The fan is a manageable resource. If you're in a situation where your fan is on you can turn down/off your heated gear or turn off your aux lights. So that leaves at least 200 watts when riding of excess power. I run 2 sets of aux lights on my bike that total about 80 watts. And I can run my heated liner (77 watts) and heated gloves (27 watts) on full power with all lights on and never drop below 13.5 volts. That's 185 watts of accessories plus a few more for 2 GPS and radar detector.

Anyway, a pair of Kristas draws 70 watts. You'd be fine with those and heated gear. The Ericas pull 120 watts for a pair, so you might run into trouble when running them with heated gear. However, keep in mind, you can dim them to save power when needed. Just add a voltage meter to your bike so you can see the health of your charging system.
Justin is spot on with this ^

I use POWERLETS website for each bikes peak output:

Calculating Excess Electrical Capacity - Learning Center - Powerlet Products

*Remember the Gen 2's increase is about 100 watts

There are some equipment estimates on Table 4

Get em while you can. Gen I can run these and heated gear with no problem

293042Medium.jpg

UPS attempted to drop off my Kristas on Tuesday but wife didn't hear the doorbell and package required a signature. She works night shift so I can't be mad about that. She slept on the couch in the living room Wednesday so she wouldn't miss them. God bless her!

Now if this white death would just stop coming down and the temperature in my garage would go up I could put them on.

For those of you sweating over wattage, remember this. Most of the time, you don't run these things on full blast. At night, if there are any cars within about 1/8 of a mile, you don't wanna run Kristas any more than about 1/3 brightness (ei 1/3 of the full rotation of the dimmer knob). I even have mine angled down slightly, perhaps 5 degrees. If I recall, Clearwater recommends mounting them level with the ground, FWIW. During the day, you can run them a little brighter, I typically run mine at 1/2 brightness. But here's the thing: at these lower levels, they use only a fraction of their peak wattage. It's rare I have them on full for very long. You might want to consider that. Even when I'm all alone on the highway, often times I don't run them at full blast. Are ya ready for this? The reflection off road signs is so bright it can be annoying at times. So I turn em down a little most of the time EVEN when there's no traffic around for this reason. They're seriously bright. I can't imagine what the 6000 lumen Ericas would do compared to my 2400 lumen Kristas.

Gary

Got my Erica's and mid install, I figured that I probably need to install a fuzeblock for the lights, heated grips and my battery tender. I should have planned this better. So just ordered that and now I'm waiting.... I guess its a good time to wait considering all the snow around. On the upside, I also installed the mirror extenders with the lights. The trip in May is looking better all the time...