• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Clearwater Lights Group Buy: March 1st - March 30th 2013 (details inside)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linc

Linc
Reaction score
Clearwater Lights Group Buy 2013
- Glenda - Krista - Darla - Erica -
======================================

Okay, I finally have good news for all of you interested in purchasing quality auxiliary lighting and also saving a little money for that next farkle. I have been wanting these lights ever since last spring, and after waiting... and waiting... and waiting, for a group buy, I decided to man up and do the work myself to get this moving! After a few back and forth emails with Glenn at Clearwater Lighting, we finally got the details together and cut a nice discount for forum members.
greedy.gif

285392_10151452079353493_937107311_n.jpg

Here's the deal, this group buy is good on the full line of Clearwater motorcycle lighting including the newest models not yet listed on the Clearwater website, but which have been sighted at trade shows this spring. Also available are their LED flashlights, but those do not count towards the minimum of 10 orders needed for the group buy. Below are the light models & lumen output, note that all the ratings below are for ONE light only, a set of lights would have double the lumen output and double the wattage.

• Glenda 800 lumens, 12 watts
  • Darla 2000 lumens, 20 watts (new model for '13)
  • Glenda 2400 lumens, 36 watts
  • Erica 6000 lumens, 60 watts (new model for '13)

So without further delay, here is the chart showing what our options are for lights and pricing. I've tried to highlight the important areas to make it easier to read, but I might have just made it worse.
bye.gif
Anyway, the Retail and Trade show pricing are pretty easy to understand, and Old Group refers to the last time FJRForum members received a group discount. The only real price you need to focus on is the "New Group" column where our price is displayed along with our savings (which I've highlighted in green). Both the Krista and Erica models come with FJR brackets for free, not a bad throw-in!

I wasn't able to transfer the "table format" like I wanted to, so here is the order in which each product is listed... I hope it makes sense!

• Product Name
  • Retail Price (MSRP)
  • Trade Show Price
  • New Group Buy Price ( '13)
  • Old Group Buy Price ( '11)
Glenda

$475

$325 ($150)

$300 ($175)

$375 ($100)

Krista

$649

$549 ($100)

$549 ($170) with brackets

$599 with brackets-savings of $125

Darla

$499

$425 ($74)

$399 ($100)

(New Model)

Erica

$849

$749 ($100)

$749 ($170 with brackets)

(New Model)
(Take orders now, ship APRIL 2013.)

Andie

$99

$85 ($14)

$79 ($20)

Loretta

$149

--

$129 ($20)

Shipping – USA = $17.99; Canada - $25 PER LIGHT SET

(Discounted shipping for more than one item – to be determined at time of purchase.)

Okay, so you're interested you say? Good, 'cause there are rules!

The group buy is open to anyone from the forum or FJR owners in general, plus I'm sure if you have a couple bikes in the garage and want to buy a set for that less-worthy cycle it's perfectly fine. We need a MINIMUM of 10 light sets sold to qualify for the group buy, I don't see that being a problem based on the interest so far.

The open dates for the group buy are: March 1st - March 30, 2013. I'm going to ask you all to be patient and wait to deluge Clearwater with orders until our opening date of the 1st. Once Clearwater has 10 (or more) orders placed they will start shipping lights (except for the new Erica model which will ship this April). Here is the procedure for ordering your lights, and it would be awesome if we went about this in an orderly manner so those folks at Clearwater could see what a responsible and well behaved group of peeps we are!
haha.gif

Do NOT order via email or use their website shopping cart system! Just follow 3 simple steps:

• On or after March 1st, call Clearwater sales at: 916-852-7029
  • Our contact for this group buy is: Lorett Kinicutt
  • Mention the FJR Forum group buy code: FJR2013GB
Once you complete your order, you will be added to Lorett's "Group Buy List" and your credit card info will be taken down. (For obvious credit card security reasons, this is why Lorett doesn't want members shooting him email orders.)

After 10 orders have been filled, all credit cards take so far will be charged and lights will start shipping. Any orders placed after the minimum 10 orders have been filled, will ship immediately upon payment until the final date (March 30th) at which point the group buy pricing will end. All that's left to do is start removing your dash panels, get ready for that install!
lol.gif

I hope I've covered all the bases, if I've missed anything let me know via PM and I'll either edit or make a new post.
Again, thanks to you all for your patience over in the original idea thread! It's taken awhile to come together but I'm excited... let's light this place up!
NOTE: I will get pictures up for the new Darla and Erica lights as soon as Glenn can get me a few promo pics.
Nothing is live on their site yet as they are so new.

All the best and happy riding,

Abe
coolsmiley03.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm in on the 1st. Will have to put on my calendar to remember. Getting old...

Thanks Linc!

Clearwater Lights Group Buy 2013
- Glenda - Krista - Darla - Erica -

Okay, I finally have good news for all of you interested in purchasing quality auxiliary lighting and also saving a little money for that next farkle. I have been wanting these lights ever since last spring, and after waiting... and waiting... and waiting, for a group buy, I decided to man up and do the work myself to get this moving! After a few back and forth emails with Glenn at Clearwater Lighting, we finally got the details together and cut a nice discount for forum members.
greedy.gif

285392_10151452079353493_937107311_n.jpg

Here's the deal, this group buy is good on the full line of Clearwater motorcycle lighting including the newest models not yet listed on the Clearwater website, but which have been sighted at trade shows this spring. Also available are their LED flashlights, but those do not count towards the minimum of 10 orders needed for the group buy. Below are the light models & lumen output, note that all the ratings below are for ONE light only, a set of lights would have double the lumen output and double the wattage.

• Glenda 2400 lumens, 36 watts

So without further delay, here is the chart showing what our options are for lights and pricing. I've tried to highlight the important areas to make it easier to read, but I might have just made it worse.
bye.gif
Anyway, the Retail and Trade show pricing are pretty easy to understand, and Old Group refers to the last time FJRForum members received a group discount. The only real price you need to focus on is the "New Group" column where our price is displayed along with our savings (which I've highlighted in green). Both the Krista and Erica models come with FJR brackets for free, not a bad throw-in!

I wasn't able to transfer the "table format" like I wanted to, so here is the order in which each product is listed... I hope it makes sense!

• Product Name
  • Retail Price (MSRP)
  • Trade Show Price
  • New Group Buy Price ( '13)
  • Old Group Buy Price ( '11)
Glenda

$475

$325 ($150)

$300 ($175)

$375 ($100)

Krista

$649

$549 ($100)

$549 ($170) with brackets

$599 with brackets-savings of $125

Darla

$499

$425 ($74)

$399 ($100)

(New Model)

Erica

$849

$749 ($100)

$749 ($170 with brackets)

(New Model)

(Take orders now, ship APRIL 2013.)

Andie

$99

$85 ($14)

$79 ($20)

Loretta

$149

--

$129 ($20)

Shipping – USA = $17.99; Canada - $25 PER LIGHT SET

(Discounted shipping for more than one item – to be determined at time of purchase.)

Okay, so you're interested you say? Good, 'cause there are rules!

The group buy is open to anyone from the forum or FJR owners in general, plus I'm sure if you have a couple bikes in the garage and want to buy a set for that less-worthy cycle it's perfectly fine. We need a MINIMUM of 10 light sets sold to qualify for the group buy, I don't see that being a problem based on the interest so far.

The open dates for the group buy are: March 1st - March 30, 2013. I'm going to ask you all to be patient and wait to deluge Clearwater with orders until our opening date of the 1st. Once Clearwater has 10 (or more) orders placed they will start shipping lights (except for the new Erica model which will ship this April). Here is the procedure for ordering your lights, and it would be awesome if we went about this in an orderly manner so those folks at Clearwater could see what a responsible and well behaved group of peeps we are!
haha.gif

Do NOT order via email or use their website shopping cart system! Just follow 3 simple steps:

• On or after March 1st, call Clearwater sales at: 916-852-7029
  • Our contact for this group buy is: Lorett Kinicutt
  • Mention the FJR Forum group buy code: FJR2013GB
Once you complete your order, you will be added to Lorett's "Group Buy List" and your credit card info will be taken down. (For obvious credit card security reasons, this is why Lorett doesn't want members shooting him email orders.)

After 10 orders have been filled, all credit cards take so far will be charged and lights will start shipping. Any orders placed after the minimum 10 orders have been filled, will ship immediately upon payment until the final date (March 30th) at which point the group buy pricing will end. All that's left to do is start removing your dash panels, get ready for that install!
lol.gif

I hope I've covered all the bases, if I've missed anything let me know via PM and I'll either edit or make a new post.
Again, thanks to you all for your patience over in the original idea thread! It's taken awhile to come together but I'm excited... let's light this place up!
NOTE: I will get pictures up for the new Darla and Erica lights as soon as Glenn can get me a few promo pics.
Nothing is live on their site yet as they are so new.

All the best and happy riding,

Abe
coolsmiley03.png
Is the 3rd light specification supposed to be for Krista?

Blah blah blah, misinformation... ;)
Is the 3rd light specification supposed to be for Krista?​

Thanks guys, glad I could help get this started!

And yes... as frankenfeejer pointed out, I did mess up the light output chart. DOH! I told y'all, I knew I'd missed something.
fool.gif

Here is the corrected list:

• Krista 2400 lumens, 36 watts
Oh, and thanks for posting the link to the specs page... I should have done that in my original post. Sigh.

Awesome, I am so in on this.. Goodbye Hella, - helloooo Krista
punk.gif

Thanks for all the hard work Linc.

+1- My Hellas pull 130 W. I cannot say for sure, but I kind of give credit to them for burning out my wiring harness. I like the Ericas. I know that I can power them because they are slightly less than the Hellas, but will probably run them at 30%-50% power most of the time. That is less than 60W combined, and brighter than the Hellas (2000Lumen) vs Ericas 50% power (60W) 3000Lumen each. I hope the lumen claim holds up. These are right at the edge of LED tech. 1000L for each LED is just hitting the market for high end flashlights.

And yes... as frankenfeejer pointed out, I did mess up the light output chart. DOH! I told y'all, I knew I'd missed something.
fool.gif

Here is the corrected list:

• Krista 2400 lumens, 36 watts
Oh, and thanks for posting the link to the specs page... I should have done that in my original post. Sigh.
just a note from a long time user of Krista's and Glenda's

I seriously don't think I would want to run the HIGH POWER Erica's and Darla's with those lumen comparisons to the "old" units

I mean what I have is BRIGHT and I only occassionally run the Krista's full bright in the dark of night in the middle of nowhere

and flashing them bright for whatever reason...well they are at space shuttle landing light brightness

so 2.5 times brighter than that on the street...well, it seems to me to be insane

off road desert speeds, well I can see that

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mholiver/sets/72157624037066606/

OK, first of all, Lorett is a very sweet lady. So you won't be emailing "him."

Second, good for you for putting this up on the forum, Abe. And maybe some thanks to Glenn, who's offering us this deal in the first place. He's a long-time member here, the former owner of my '05. He's been a very good friend to the forum.

And if somebody wants to add a one-line question, I sure hate to scroll down a l--o-o-o-o-o-n-g post like Linc's to see it. (Sorry. Pet peeve.)

OK, first of all, Lorett is a very sweet lady. So you won't be emailing "him."
And if somebody wants to add a one-line question, I sure hate to scroll down a l--o-o-o-o-o-n-g post like Linc's to see it. (Sorry. Pet peeve.)
Arrrgh, now I feel like an idiot! Please, everyone respectfully address Lorett as Ma'am in your phone conversations! Sorry Mike, I've only had email contact up to this point. Thanks very much for clarifying!
blush2.gif

And yes, please do not quote my initial message if you have a question... this thread will get incredibly long very quickly! And big thanks to Glenn who pushed this whole thing through to begin with!

Abe

I picked up a brochure last week at Clearwater. Here's the page you want to see. Pics and info on all four of their lights, including the new ones. The dimensions of the two sizes are the same (meaning the Erica is the same as the older Krista and the Darla = the Glenda in size), but the Erica has 6 LEDs, and the new-generation LEDs in the Darla and Erica are a LOT brighter than those in the Glendas and Kristas, which were (are) extremely bright themselves. Believe me, it's very noticeable.

I partly agree with Patriot--Mike--that those two (older) models will give off plenty of light for most riders in most circumstances. And WAY too much light for some circumstances, like with cars approaching. But since they are all dimmable, they can all be tamed down to behave in any company. And that super brightness is there if and when you want it. Do you rally? Ride mountain roads at night? I can think of plenty of times too much light is just right.

Anyway, these are fantastic prices for these products. I've had mine (Glendas and Kristas) from the time they came out, and never a problem at all. No bulbs burned out, no vibration problems, nada. Encouraging you to take the jump. You gonna LOVE 'em!

Just one thing more--Linc pointed out that the lumens and watts shown for the lights in the first post were all for just ONE light of the set. Thought I'd clarify, the prices shown are for TWO lights--each product is sold as a two-light set. Except for the Andie, which is a flashlight. And frankly, I don't know what the heck the "Loretta" at $129 is. Linc? What's a Loretta?

edit: One more thing YET! Including those FJR-specific mirror mount brackets alone is a significant savings, and they're the sturdiest of the type I've seen anywhere. Don't forget about that.

2ba68054-4a2f-411c-a34a-4fa5f6ef6ae7_zps6ae02b1a.jpg

greedy.gif
YES, I'm in. Lucky me, I accidentally passed their shop working in their neighborhood last week which reminded me to check out this Group buy post.

These babies and a CalSci screen. Farkle just starting.

BTW, I like Krista w the amber lens. I'm different, I know

OK, so I'm not an electronics expert, so forgive my ignorance.

I'm considering the new Erica's (I'll be buying something for sure), but I'm concerned about the FJR's ability to safely power them.

At 120 watts total, that seems like an awful lot of juice (again...could be wrong).

Does the stator in my FJR have the ability to handle that load?

What about if I wanted to add a 2nd set, such as the Glenda's mounted on my forks?

What about powering other devices such as GPS, charging my cell phone, heated grips and possibly heated clothing (jacket, etc)?

Anyway, these are fantastic prices for these products. I've had mine (Glendas and Kristas) from the time they came out, and never a problem at all. No bulbs burned out, no vibration problems, nada. Encouraging you to take the jump. You gonna LOVE 'em!
Just one thing more--Linc pointed out that the lumens and watts shown for the lights in the first post were all for just ONE light of the set. Thought I'd clarify, the prices shown are for TWO lights--each product is sold as a two-light set. Except for the Andie, which is a flashlight. And frankly, I don't know what the heck the "Loretta" at $129 is. Linc? What's a Loretta?

edit: One more thing YET! Including those FJR-specific mirror mount brackets alone is a significant savings, and they're the sturdiest of the type I've seen anywhere. Don't forget about that.
Mike,

You got me there... I actually might pick up an Andie when I place my order as an 800 lumen flashlight is ridiculous! For work I need a pretty bright "tactical light" for seeing deep into equipment where I can't shine a normal work light. My last Surefire L4 Lumamax light was 220 lumens and cost $140! Plus it took those nasty CR3 batteries that cost a fortune, so rechargeable sounds great to me. Anywho, I'm guessing the Loretta is a bigger flashlight but that's just a guess. I'll call and find out today, sorry about that!

And custom brackets are definitely icing on the cake, you don't want some universal hanger bracket with $750 lights dangling off them! I learned that on my old 4WD rig, lights that vibrate and wobble while driving are enough to give you a migraine... not good!

I'm considering the new Erica's (I'll be buying something for sure), but I'm concerned about the FJR's ability to safely power them.

At 120 watts total, that seems like an awful lot of juice (again...could be wrong).

What about if I wanted to add a 2nd set, such as the Glenda's mounted on my forks?

What about powering other devices such as GPS, charging my cell phone, heated grips and possibly heated clothing (jacket, etc)?
Hey BLS,

Good question and I can only answer based on what I've researched. You have a 2nd gen bike like me, '06-'12 which has the higher output alternator with 590 total watts and 200 extra to spare for accessories. I only run my Russell Heated Seat (36 watts max), Garmin 1450 GPS (6W), charger for my iPhone (12W max), and a Valentine One RD (10W draw max) as accessories which leaves 135ish watts free to power lights. I have no problem with adding the Ericas to my bike, but you WILL want a fuse block for these suckers. Full on burn will draw 10 amps so you'll want a 15 amp fuse upstream of the power source, mine will be at my Eastern Beaver block. If you run heated grips, heated gear, or heated seats, all this changes. You'll need to do a quick calculation of your power draw but it's unlikely ALL devices will be on at the same time.

Also, when you're cruising around the city and RPMs are lower (and charging system might not be at max output), it's also likely you'll have your Ericas on low setting therefore not pulling 120 watts. Open road, no cars, high speeds... 120W flamethrowers on and RPMs & voltage output steady. That's my thoughts anyway?
rolleyes.gif

The older bikes ('05 and down) ONLY have 120 watts to spare for everything electrical, I would NOT run the Erica lights on them.

You may or may not need a fuse box. The included wiring connects directly to the battery with an inline fuse and the controller relays off the headlights, highbeam and if you want, the horn to create the on/off, dim/bright bypass functions. The controller is one of the best features of these units. Typical operation is at only 20% of power, with the ability to instantly go bright as needed. That has worked pretty good on the Kristas for me.

Mike,

You got me there... I actually might pick up an Andie when I place my order as an 800 lumen flashlight is ridiculous! For work I need a pretty bright "tactical light" for seeing deep into equipment where I can't shine a normal work light. My last Surefire L4 Lumamax light was 220 lumens and cost $140! Plus it took those nasty CR3 batteries that cost a fortune, so rechargeable sounds great to me. Anywho, I'm guessing the Loretta is a bigger flashlight but that's just a guess. I'll call and find out today, sorry about that!

And custom brackets are definitely icing on the cake, you don't want some universal hanger bracket with $750 lights dangling off them! I learned that on my old 4WD rig, lights that vibrate and wobble while driving are enough to give you a migraine... not good!

Hey BLS,

Good question and I can only answer based on what I've researched. You have a 2nd gen bike like me, '06-'12 which has the higher output alternator with 590 total watts and 200 extra to spare for accessories. I only run my Russell Heated Seat (36 watts max), Garmin 1450 GPS (6W), charger for my iPhone (12W max), and a Valentine One RD (10W draw max) as accessories which leaves 135ish watts free to power lights. I have no problem with adding the Ericas to my bike, but you WILL want a fuse block for these suckers. Full on burn will draw 10 amps so you'll want a 15 amp fuse upstream of the power source, mine will be at my Eastern Beaver block. If you run heated grips, heated gear, or heated seats, all this changes. You'll need to do a quick calculation of your power draw but it's unlikely ALL devices will be on at the same time.

Also, when you're cruising around the city and RPMs are lower (and charging system might not be at max output), it's also likely you'll have your Ericas on low setting therefore not pulling 120 watts. Open road, no cars, high speeds... 120W flamethrowers on and RPMs & voltage output steady. That's my thoughts anyway?
rolleyes.gif

The older bikes ('05 and down) ONLY have 120 watts to spare for everything electrical, I would NOT run the Erica lights on them.

Great input. Thanks Abe!

Does anyone know the tint on these? Is it 2700K (Yellowish) or 4500K (cool white) or 6500K (blue tint)? Blue tint would not look good in my opinion. If I knew the LED vendor, model and bin number then there is a chance I could look up the specs. Probably a CREE led. Since this is a high end product, I am sure potential buyer would be very interested in this spec. Does anybody know this info?