Prepping the FJR to sell

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randy

Reaction score
So...haven't been riding much lately. Lots of time at work, stuff around the house, toying around in new Jeep, bicycling, running, etc etc etc. Just haven't been able to find/make the time to ride.

During the Cycle World bike show, looked at a KLR650 and thought it would be a decent toy to putz around on, play in the woods, and take the occasional road trip. So, since I don't have room in the garage for 2 bikes, figured I would sell the FJR and take the money to buy a KLR.

Wanted to make it as marketable as possible. I had a scratch in the sidebag (went around a turn, bag wasn't latched, popped open, dragged on the curb) and sent it off to Garauld to be resprayed (great work, btw!). Spent a few hours on Saturday changing the oil/filter, gear oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluid, along with a thorough wash/wax/polish.

After I was done, started to look back on the time I spent with it. AMA WERA and MotoGP races, Laconia Bike Weeks, first official Iron Butt ride, group rides, riding in the sun, rain, wind, snow, hail, hurricane...it's seen it all. Thought about all of the great people I met along the way.

The bike had to have known something was going on. As I was drying it off from the wash, I noticed the fork seals were leaking. So, now I have to delay the sale til the new parts come in and fork seals get installed.

So, when I start thinking about the $ for the fork seals, the $ I just spent on the fluids/filters, and the $ I spent on the bag getting repainted, there was no way I would get all of that money back on the sale. Plus thinking back on all of the good memories on it, and seeing how great it looks, especially for being a 9 year old bike, it didn't take long for me to have a change of heart.

We're going to stick together a little longer.

Kind of like adding a new set of tires, brakes, etc...Once you invest the $$$ you need to use them up!

Glad you're staying for a while longer!!

--G

Glad to hear it. Thanks to you, folks that pull out in front of me can actually hear me blasting my Buick style horns!

Good news Randy!

When I was really messed up from my get off and had a new 10 sitting in my carport, I asked for help and you came and helped me.

I can not thank you enough for that.

Nice to see you still will hang on for a bit before you part with your FJR.

Same thing happened to me. Serviced entire bike, new tires, serviced traxxion suspenion, replaced cct,, headlamp bulbs, brodies harness, all fluids etc. 111k miles, I am not going to get my money out of it and it runs better than new so a keeping it I will do.

Glad to hear your bike had an "intervention" and talked you in from the ledge!

Glad yer stickin around for awhile longer...

The good times with the people I meet at the various rides are hard to beat when you combine that with the twisty and far away roads ridden.

Even if you still part ways with your FJR - those memories are still yours to keep. But who wants memories...I want to keep drinking from the cistern of FJR fun.

I was thinking while reading this post, He's going to trade the FJR for a KLR? :dribble: I think he'll miss the FJR more then he thinks he will, maybe just maybe he'll gather his thoughts and figure out a way to make this work out. The KLR won't mind being parked in the backyard! :yahoo: They aren't the same bike, you really need both! :p

Similar story. Haven't rode much last couple years. Thought lots about selling the bike. In the end didn't have the heart to sell it. So instead I bought an RF1100 two weeks ago. Last night I put a set of PR3's on it. Now I'm going to ride it. I think this is my first post on this board in 3 years or so. looking forward to being a rider again.

So...haven't been riding much lately. Lots of time at work, stuff around the house, toying around in new Jeep, bicycling, running, etc etc etc. Just haven't been able to find/make the time to ride.

During the Cycle World bike show, looked at a KLR650 and thought it would be a decent toy to putz around on, play in the woods, and take the occasional road trip. So, since I don't have room in the garage for 2 bikes, figured I would sell the FJR and take the money to buy a KLR.

Wanted to make it as marketable as possible. I had a scratch in the sidebag (went around a turn, bag wasn't latched, popped open, dragged on the curb) and sent it off to Garauld to be resprayed (great work, btw!). Spent a few hours on Saturday changing the oil/filter, gear oil, coolant, brake/clutch fluid, along with a thorough wash/wax/polish.

After I was done, started to look back on the time I spent with it. AMA WERA and MotoGP races, Laconia Bike Weeks, first official Iron Butt ride, group rides, riding in the sun, rain, wind, snow, hail, hurricane...it's seen it all. Thought about all of the great people I met along the way.

The bike had to have known something was going on. As I was drying it off from the wash, I noticed the fork seals were leaking. So, now I have to delay the sale til the new parts come in and fork seals get installed.

So, when I start thinking about the $ for the fork seals, the $ I just spent on the fluids/filters, and the $ I spent on the bag getting repainted, there was no way I would get all of that money back on the sale. Plus thinking back on all of the good memories on it, and seeing how great it looks, especially for being a 9 year old bike, it didn't take long for me to have a change of heart.

I bought a new 2011 KLR about 3 months ago. Thought of selling the FJR, but fortunately I can keep both.

Two totally different bikes, but really enjoy the type of riding both bikes offer. Any chance of picking up an older KLR and keeping the FJR too? May not work with your time allotment, but I sure like having both bikes, and figure you will too.

I use the KLR for any off road or not so nice days. Dirt kind of looks good on it. The FJR is for longer rides and nice days.

Hope you can do both. :)

Wayne

+1, you made the right decision!

Welcome back Randy. Great story and I think it is relatable for many of us.