Proper procedure for pillion mount and dismount on FJR

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always make sure that I give Michelle the go ahead rather than her just jumping on when she thinks I am ready. You don't want to get caught off guard having your pillion stepping on the passenger peg with their full weight when you are still futzing around with your helmet strap...

Rider on first, gives okay to pillion to mount when bike is braced and upright off the stand. Pillion dismounts in reverse procedure. (unless there is too much back seat driving in which case you boot their ass off at about 60 going round a curve... :lameasswinkysmiley:)

like the axeman said. Have her signal she's ready to get on. You signal her back that you're ready(feet planted, aware of any angle &or gravel YOUR feet are on). Then she gets on,SMOOTHLY and relatively slowly, hopefully. Same when she gets off(the bike).

@Maywannayamaha1300,

As GOD is my witness, this is how my wife does it: I lean the bike over on the side stand, pushing on the ground with my left foot to keep the bike from leaning any further; My wife grabs her right pants leg at the ankle and pulls her right foot up to the pillion seat; she then slides her leg across the seat as she leans to the right; once her behind is mostly on the seat, she grabs my shoulders and pulls to center herself on the seat; when I feel her put her feet on the pegs, and says "OK. I'm on", I raise the bike off the centerstand, raise the center stand, take off. I know this sounds like a smart-a@# answer, but this is actually how we do it. We have tried several methods, during one of which, she fell, and this is the one that seems to work for us. Hope this helps.

Brian

P.S. Dismounting is pretty much the reverse, except she uses gravity, rather than my shoulders, to slide to the left.

OH CRAP!! I forgot. I also tell her whe I'm ready for her to get on/get off the bike. If I don't say anything, she will ask if I'm ready.

Brian

-yep, be absolutely ready to go, bike upright, feet firmly planted, *and* right hand holding the brake lever firmly. Have her (hopefully the following is obvious to her) mount the bike from the left, her left foot on the passenger footpeg & swing the rest of the way over (duh). DON'T relax until she is done shifting around on the seat...(this amount of time is proportionate to the amount of ass involved) :lol: ...have an agreed upon signal (verbal/nonverbal/whatever) that she is *completely* settled and ready to roll.

Briano beat me to it (some of the highlights)...all good info...

Last edited by a moderator:
@Maywannayamaha1300,As GOD is my witness, this is how my wife does it: I lean the bike over on the side stand, pushing on the ground with my left foot to keep the bike from leaning any further; My wife grabs her right pants leg at the ankle and pulls her right foot up to the pillion seat; she then slides her leg across the seat as she leans to the right; once her behind is mostly on the seat, she grabs my shoulders and pulls to center herself on the seat; when I feel her put her feet on the pegs, and says "OK. I'm on", I raise the bike off the centerstand, raise the center stand, take off. I know this sounds like a smart-a@# answer, but this is actually how we do it. We have tried several methods, during one of which, she fell, and this is the one that seems to work for us. Hope this helps.

Brian

P.S. Dismounting is pretty much the reverse, except she uses gravity, rather than my shoulders, to slide to the left.

OH CRAP!! I forgot. I also tell her whe I'm ready for her to get on/get off the bike. If I don't say anything, she will ask if I'm ready.

Brian
Yep that's the blown out knee method my wife uses as well. It looks clumsy as hell. I also try to use curbs, tree stumps, ect., to her advantage. Anything to get her up a little higher. If you want to get off, say for gas or something, and your pillon want's to stay on you can put the sidestand down, stand on the pegs and swing on down. Reverse the procedure to get on.

Late edit: Some pillons may need to be encouraged to sit still while they're on the bike alone. :eek:

Similar to what is said. I put my bike on the side stand, she holds my jacket or shoulder, puts her left foot on the peg, and puts her right knee on the seat. Grabs the rear back rest and carrys her right foot over the seat. It was easier when I didn't have the passenger back rest, but this is how we do it. When she gets off, I have the bike on the side stand, she puts her left foot down and hops away from the bike until her right foot clears. Unfortunately, she now knows that riding pants are important to wear, because she argued about wearing protective pants, and she got on with these "near the knee" pants (don't know what they are called), and she got a taste of hot exaust pipe pain. Yep, pretty little red mark on her exposed calve. Anyways, she puts the riding pants on everytime. Lastly, I have to tell her when to get off, she has climbed on board without my knowledge, or I was putting on my gear, and "WTF", she put her whole weight on the peg, while I was putting my gloves on, and over went the bike. It almost happened when she wanted to get off without me tell her I was ready. Hope all of our stories help.

I have my passengers wait until I have the bike ready to, postioned correctly . I have them mount and dismount the same way. place left foot on their peg,mounting from kickstand side with kickstand down. swing right leg over seat,supporting themeselves by holding onto my shoulders .

All good answers...just remember to brief your pillion first...such as DON"T dismount until YOU say so...DON"T lean in the opposite direction to the bike in a turn just go with the flow you won't fall off (Hopefully) etc..and above all ENJOY YOURSELF!!!

Also when riding you will need to brake a bit earlier and watch you're balance when going slower or coming to a stop you WILL need to concentrate more so. I find if you look forward up the road (as one does) you tend to have a better balance on the bike 1 or 2 up.

Good luck

OK this is how Debs does it - after making sure I'm ready.

[/u]Mounting

Left hand on my left shoulder, right hand on the passenger seat. Then places her left foot on the rear peg and swings/pulls her way up, and right leg swings over the top case. After that there is the bang & gasp as her rear end hits the seat :D

Dismounting

Almost the reverse. For some reason?? her leg cannot clear the top case on the way back. Now her knee is bent and she slides it through and over the seat. Sometimes her knee or foot will scrape the seat :( , sometimes both :angry2: . This has worked for us.

Deb does have a short inseam though (30") and if there is a slope away to the left of the bike -- forget it :lol: , I have to move to flat ground.

?? sorry about the underlining, but I'm not about to retype.

I don't think my wife has ever done it the same way twice... :blink:

But recently I told her to just get on like she does her horse and quit screwing around back there. Put yer damn left foot on the peg and swing a leg over for Krisake... This thing is about 30 inches shorter than your horse and it aint gonna move.

Since then, things have been a lot smoother.

:yahoo:

... I lean the bike over on the side stand, pushing on the ground with my left foot to keep the bike from leaning any further;.... blah, blah, blah,.... when I feel her put her feet on the pegs, and says "OK. I'm on", I raise the bike off the centerstand, raise the center stand, take off...
I take it those last 2 should have been sidestand as well. Leaning the bike over on the centerstand would be a baaaaad idea.

I find it easy to put the bike on the side stand, wife then gets on to the drivers seat and then slides back all the while I have my foot and weight on the side stand. once she is on I put my right leg over and my butt on the seat. With the top case on my wife has a hard time getting on and off with me on the bike first. It works best for us

I find it easy to put the bike on the side stand, wife then gets on to the drivers seat and then slides back all the while I have my foot and weight on the side stand. once she is on I put my right leg over and my butt on the seat. With the top case on my wife has a hard time getting on and off with me on the bike first. It works best for us
Hey that's a great idea! I get off and on all the time with my wife on the back only I have to step up on the pegs since I can't just step over from the ground...shall we say, gracefully :unsure:

I think it really would be easier for her (or anybody) to get on first and just scoot back. Gonna try that tomorrow. Way to think outside the box Bluestreek :good:

One thing to think about if you have recently got the bike- make sure you get plenty of riding time and get real used to the bike before she gets on. And don't show her what the bike can really do unless she begs for it. Get the piss & vinegar out of your system while you're solo, and ride it like she would when she's on the back.

One thing to think about if you have recently got the bike- make sure you get plenty of riding time and get real used to the bike before she gets on. And don't show her what the bike can really do unless she begs for it. Get the piss & vinegar out of your system while you're solo, and ride it like she would when she's on the back.
-that's great advice.....you don't mention if you have any type of backrest (i.e. Givi box, whatever). My wife felt much more secure with after the Givi V46 was added. Also keep in mind wheelies will be easier with the passenger mounted.

Wow ! all this mount , dismount, slide forward ,get on get off , pickme up, stuff sound like an advance class in fjrsex 101. So if it works keep on doing it. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Latest posts