Pulled over by CSI

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scythian

Reaction score
Coming into work this morning on I-25 in New Mexico, just N of Tramway Blvd; not in the double-fine construstion zone, not at warp-speed, I passed a black SUV-looking thing; no external lights; no government plate; no markings of any kind.

I notice he immediately gooses it and jumps in the far left lane behind me, no lights. I decided it must be an official vehicle, so I goosed it past a couple of cars and pull into the middle lane in back of another car to let him by.

He pulls in back of me with interior cop-lights and headlights flashing. WTF? think I and pull over to the side of the road carefully.

I notice immediately that he is wearing "civilian' clothes with a gun and badge on his hip and a big ol' embroidered: "NM STATE CSI" on his shirt pocket! :lol:

He was very nice, and so was I. He said on his certified speedo that he paced me at 85mph (speed limit was 70) when he pulled out. I explained that I goosed it to get out of his way when he came out in back of me. He thanked me for being courteous, didn't even run my license, check my reg or insurance. He just told me to slow down and I said I would :rolleyes:

As I pulled out, rapidly, but safely into traffic I thought: "Pulled over by CSI!" :lol:

...I notice immediately that he is wearing "civilian' clothes with a gun and badge on his hip and a big ol' embroidered: "NM STATE CSI" on his shirt pocket! :lol:

He was very nice, and so was I. He said on his certified speedo that he paced me at 85mph (speed limit was 70) when he pulled out...
As someone who made my living calibrating instrumentation at a nuke plant I find the part about the certified speedo the funniest part to this story.

I was thinking the same thing . . .

Why is a Crime Scene Investigator doing traffic enforcement? You have to wonder if they even carry ticket books.

Perhaps this was just some guy with a big black SUV and bunch of flashing lights (no government plate?) and a fake tin badge playing cop?

Why is a Crime Scene Investigator doing traffic enforcement? You have to wonder if they even carry ticket books.

Perhaps this was just some guy with a big black SUV and bunch of flashing lights (no government plate?) and a fake tin badge playing cop?
I thought that myself, for a moment....

He had a State Police Badge, credentials, etc. He didn't write me a ticket, didn't do anything goofy or otherwise make me suspicious, so I chose not to cause any trouble and just rode off when it was over.

I suspected it was a state admin vehicle when I passed it. They've been using a plate that looks like a "regular" plate lately to avoid causing suspicion (and get more tickets.)

He said on his certified speedo that he paced me at 85mph (speed limit was 70) when he pulled out.
85 isn't all that much on many of today's Interstates...

I sometimes think that's a necessary speed to stay out of trouble (for a motorcyclist -- "space cushion", riding 'pro-actively' instead of 'reacting', etc.)...?

In many cases, on Interstates (especially) -- everyone's speeding (no excuse, I know).

Do you think you were singled-out for some reason (riding well above traffic speed)? :unsure:

Dude was abusing his power, plain and simple, he should stay in his lane. I could understand him getting involed with a crime in progress that threatens life or property but traffic enforcement is hard to justify.

Do you think you were singled-out for some reason (riding well above traffic speed)? :unsure:
I wasn't well above traffic speed, but I did pass him. I don't think he liked being passed, even though I slowed and pulled into the center lane when he shot out to "pace" me.

He had a State Police Badge, credentials, etc. He didn't write me a ticket, didn't do anything goofy or otherwise make me suspicious, so I chose not to cause any trouble and just rode off when it was over.

I suspected it was a state admin vehicle when I passed it. They've been using a plate that looks like a "regular" plate lately to avoid causing suspicion (and get more tickets.)
My line of thinking on this.. As he did have credentials I'm thinking though he might not have been able to write a ticket. He most likely had a radio that could be used. Abuse of power? as someone suggests? Questionable.. But I do wonder why he singled you out.

Maybe the dead critter carcass stink in your undercarriage aroused his nose as you passed by? :lol:

Good to see ya here again Scythian ;)

Maybe the dead critter carcass stink in your undercarriage aroused his nose as you passed by?
Good to see ya here again Scythian
:lol: Hey, Bustanut!

I've been lurking.... Much like the kid who never spoke until his oatmeal sucked: I haven't had much to say.

My office-pal's guess was that he just got that new vehicle with a "certified speedo" and was aching to use it for something.

I just don't think he liked being passed while in an official state vehicle (blacked-out with no markings.)

Or maybe it was my hi-viz yellow riding jacket.... :assassin:

My line of thinking on this.. As he did have credentials I'm thinking though he might not have been able to write a ticket. He most likely had a radio that could be used. Abuse of power? as someone suggests? Questionable.. But I do wonder why he singled you out.

Maybe the dead critter carcass stink in your undercarriage aroused his nose as you passed by? :lol:

Good to see ya here again Scythian ;)
In the Arizona Mining District on State Route 60 there is a little town called Claypool, between Globe and Miami. In Claypool live a San Carlos Apache Tribal Policeman.

He only has authority on the Indian Reservation Lands, but he plays the same game with motorcyclists. He is just on a power trip! We all know him and we laugh at him!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Hey, Bustanut!

I've been lurking.... Much like the kid who never spoke until his oatmeal sucked: I haven't had much to say.

My office-pal's guess was that he just got that new vehicle with a "certified speedo" and was aching to use it for something.

I just don't think he liked being passed while in an official state vehicle (blacked-out with no markings.)

Or maybe it was my hi-viz yellow riding jacket.... :assassin:

Certified speedo is a hoot!

Maybe he has a Hardley at home an he was pissed to see a motorcycle that could actually pass him without him having to slow down?

Bwwaaaaaaa!!! :lol:

Maybe he has a Hardley at home an he was pissed to see a motorcycle that could actually pass him without him having to slow down?

Hahahaha! I told my boss about my adventure and he said: "Goddamnit! How come they tell you they have no one available to take prints at the scene of a car break-in, but they are out there doing traffic stops for going 85 on the I-25 autobahn!?"

I am so going to flog this story for an occasional free beer at the watering-hole :D

The speedo thing is a joke. Although I would have believed him if he said he could tell your speed by the length of the bug guts trails on your windshield.

I think if I saw someone step out of a vehicle like that in civilian clothes, I would've taken off and headed toward a police or fire station or something. If possible, calling 911 on the way.

There's no way to know if he was legitimate, and could've been a yahoo and could've done who knows what.

I've ridden a north/south Interstate and an east/west in New Mexico. I didn't see anyone going 75 or 80 mph. They were all going at least 85, some 90, many 95 and a few over that! You can cover some miles that way.

There's no way to know if he was legitimate, and could've been a yahoo and could've done who knows what.
I certainly had a WTF moment and decided to play it very cool, not cause any trouble, stay very much on guard and get the hell out of there as soon as I could, which I did....

Honestly, lately here in NM we have recently had a rash of bad, back-shooting, wife-killing, drunk, corrupt cops, I'd probably safer with a pretend-cop.

The funny part is, The chief of the State CSI is in my National Guard unit. I am going to give him shit for one of his guys playing traffic cop....

Speedometers on police package cars are certified and tickets can be written based on the speedometer readings. Many courts prefer the speedometer readings over radar or laser.