Purchased 2010 FJR over KGT- Yessssss it feels good!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair, there are some problems. 1st - The seat is not going to do it for such a big guy, and 2nd - the BMW salesman are still calling on me <_<
Can you say "Russel Daylong" give your other cheeks a reason to grin
Allow me to echo this comment. I was lucky enough to find a slightly used Russell Daylong for my 2005 FJR just before a recently-completed (as in yesterday) 4,000 mile ride. What a huge difference. No monkey butt, no shifting around in the seat to stay comfortable, no discomfort AT ALL. Run, don't walk, to buy this upgrade for your FJR. My stock seat had gel pad inserts and a Bead Rider (a/k/a taxi driver) seat and there is simply no comparison. I am a believer.

If your considering an FJR or K12-13GT...maybe I can help :clapping:
BUY THE FJR :yahoo:

Snipped to save bandwidth

picks to come soon...busy riding my new FJR and trying to sell my extended warranty :rolleyes:
Very nicely said. I test rode mine for about 20 minutes. That surely wasn't enought to get used to it and really understand the FJR. Now the Connie the dealer thru me the keys and I returned 3 hours later, escaping a performance award because A> the officer was nice B> guys with gray hair like mine just dont ride like that C> or some other reason

Congrats on the purchase, it only gets better

Willie

This was great write-up on a comparison-decision buy.

Many probably have suffered through the same decision.

Fortunately for me, I was able to test drive a 2-BMW's, FJR1300 and Tiger all at a BMW dealership.

So, later when the FJR was available down the road, I could make a good/sound decision on buying it.

You speak great truths, that BMW allowing test drives probably steals a significant amount of sales from other dealerships. Many folks just get personally pissed for not being able to get that test ride, when spending this amount of money on the unknown.....

The only thing that would have mad your write up any better would have been to include the C14 in your search/comparison.

Great job...thanks for sharing. You have probably helped a bunch of folks with this.

The test ride did it! Always admired the fjr as a nice ride, with 2 bikes in the garage I was not seriously looking, but came across a used 08 with 570miles on it at a harley dealer. I am not really looking says I, take it for a ride says they, now have 3 bikes in garage.

Anyone personally know a good Yamaha mechanic...didn't think so, oh well.
picks to come soon...busy riding my new FJR and trying to sell my extended warranty :rolleyes:
Actually, yeah - the service manager at our local Yamaha shop - But a big part of the reason we know him is 'cause he also runs an FJR.

Don't be too hasty on the extended warranty sale - Doesn't take much work to get to $700. I never added it up, but I had to be up around the $4 - 5K mark on warranty work over the 5 years covered (including some oddball stuff that no one else on the forum managed to break).

If your considering an FJR or K12-13GT...maybe I can help :clapping:
BUY THE FJR :yahoo:

It has been an agonizing 4 weeks. <snip>
Welcome! You made the decision quick!

I too agonized over my bike purchase which ultimately led me to my '09A. Having ridden HD's for ~30 yrs, I wanted, ney, deserved a change! But, I looked, test rode, compared for over a yr and ended up riding something like 14 bikes. I'm lucky that I live near Daytona, so my TR's were done there, not at a dealer where you had a salesman hovering.

It's just that the more I looked and tried to be completely unbiased, the more it kept coming back to the FJR. Everyone is prejudiced, especially about bikes IMO, but I did make a huge effort to decide completely on "just the facts" as Joe Friday would say.

I loved the K13GT, I have to say that, and if money were absolutely no object I might have ended up with one. Well, hell, if money were no object, I'd have one of everything, and two of some things, a big hootered blonde wife half my age, but as they say, I digress...

You did the right thing. I love my FJR and both the price and dealer availability were the clinchers for me. I do wish they had an available factory cruise like the K-GT, but that's since been solved and I'm well on the way to a well farkled bike.

Hope to meet you on the road someday!

Jim in Mims

Well, how about this?

I bought my 09FJR on ebay from a dealer 600 miles away, flew to the city of purchase, completed purchase, and road 600 miles home (thru nasty red-radar thunderstorms!).... after doing my homework on the model, comps, etc...

Had a little of that 'WTF am I doing here! This is crazy' thoughts that lasted until I was about 10 miles into my trip home... then I was a genius! Saved several thousand bucks over local dealers pricing and got a nice long 'all alone' ride to boot!

In the last year, I still haven't regretted this purchase...

Oh, and I also tested a K12 before deciding on this one.... BMW = Final Drive Failures ...

Congratulations! Maybe you can make NAFO2101?

Never really considered the BMW when I bought the 2010 FJR. Been there done that. 5 BMWs in total over the years. I was thinking of a Concours 14 which the bike mags rave over. I liked the Triumph Sprint but the riding position was a bit sporty for me. I looked at the various forums for the bikes and nobody was complaining about FJR mech problems . Not so with the C 14. Did not ride any of them. Kinda put a purchase out of my mind as I already had a Bandit 1250 which I loved. I had sold my v-strom 650 so I rode to the next big town to look at a Triumph Bonneville. Didn't need another sport bike. I asked the guy to quote me a price on a T100 and while he was doing whatever they do I sat on a 09 FJR. Nice ergos I thought. Anyway when the guy came back I said quote me a price on the FJR. A few e-mails later and calls to other dealers I picked up a 2010. The bike is a bit heavy but has great ergos, brakes are super and handles well for its weight. My only complaint is the tranny. I have learned to shift it so this is not a major issue. MPG on a recent trip was 49 mpg. I have stopped looking at the bike mags for my next bike.

If you are in the Cincinnati area and need a Bandit 1250 let me know.

My only complaint is the tranny.
Yeah, can be a bit "clunky" at times, if that's what you mean. Shifts better/smoother at higher revs. Just one of those "things".

Now if you mean 'cause it's not a six-speed, man are YOU in the wrong place! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
My only complaint is the tranny.
Yeah, can be a bit "clunky" at times, if that's what you mean. Shifts better/smoother at higher revs. Just one of those "things".

Now if you mean 'cause it's not a six-speed, man are YOU in the wrong place! :p
Ya had'a bring up the extra gear the kids want, din ya ya chimp fuker..

Next thing Carvers gonna be yackin' aboot Hardleys superiority..

Dik!

:jester:

Easy, I am one of the lucky ones. I sat on the FJR 1 year before it ever came to this country. It was in London in 2001. I believe it was black. I was making arrangements to buy one and ship it to Ankara Turkey in 2002 my home at the time when Yamaha announced that you could order one in the states. I new my assignment was soon to be over, so I called my friends at the dealership in New Haven, CT and ordered one over the phone from Turino Italy were I was working that week. 75K later I am still loving it everyday I ride it to work. Get the new seat ASAP from Daylong Saddles. The best money you can spend. Although do it in the off season so you do not miss any riding. :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

During my impulsive purchase I also had an upset stomach. I had quite the opposite reaction as yours though. I drove it home and my arms were hurting and my neck was strained and I thought "What the hell did I just do?". This bike grew on me everyday and now after 16000 miles I love it more than any other bike I've ridden. This bike gets better with age. Congrats on your purchase and know it only gets better.

Welcome aboard, Easy. I had the exact same experience, and I know you're gonna love your bike. First thing you should do is add a pair of frame sliders; do NOT wait!

Congrats on a very wise decision! It is ashamed that so many dealers don't allow test rides.

Enjoy your new toy!

Sometimes, the "purchase process" involves placing your faith in the opinion of others. I'm often asked why I don't own a Harley even though I've never ridden one and my answer is that I've read articles, tests and reviews that have lead me down a different path and to different bikes. The purchase of my '04 FJR was made without any test drive and I have never regretted my decision! You did good!

I just bought a used 2009 with 4800 miles, extended warranty, sliders and handle bar risers. The price was right. Didn't even ask the guy for a test ride. Layed out the money and drove it home. Was surprised how heavy the front steering was but suspected the front tire. Yep the original worn BT021 was the problem, a new PR2 solved it completely. The FJR is a bit tall for me but I'm getting used to it. Otherwise I love everything it delivers and its nice to have an extended warranty to 2013. I plan long trips on it and so far find its stock seat and ergo's very comfortable.

Bill

Congrats on your purchase. I was agonizing over the choice of FJR vs Concours. Obviously I chose the FJR and I love it now more than the day I purchased it. I ride a BMW everyday and it seems as if every other month something is wrong with it (in all honesty it does live a very rough life). If I wanted a bike that I had to service every 6K miles I would purchase another Duck.

I hope you enjoy your FJR half as much as im enjoying mine. Good luck.

I can relate with so many things on this thread.

First, my local dealer gave me a test ride on the FJR so I knew what I was getting. My immediately previous bike was an '04 BMW K1200 RS, I loved that bike, but I just couldn't deal with the dealer and BMW anymore. The the rear seal leaked, it was replaced three times, and the bike had just run out of warranty. I put 24k miles on that bike. The dealer managed to bend a valve stem when they did the 24k mile service. I never took the bike back, I left it with them in co-signment and it sold in about two months.

I bought an '08 FJR and I have ridden it for 14k miles now, it's a great bike.