• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Purchasing an FJR in Atlanta and driving to Rochester

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dugz4

Reaction score
My apologies to the Webmaster for the post here, but wasn't sure where to post.

I am purchasing an FJR from a member in Atlanta and want to drive it back to NY. Does anyone know if Georgia DMV can provide a ferry or transport permit to an individual? Is there another legal way to drive it home. Too expensive to ship it back.

Thanks!

My apologies to the Webmaster for the post here, but wasn't sure where to post.

I am purchasing an FJR from a member in Atlanta and want to drive it back to NY. Does anyone know if Georgia DMV can provide a ferry or transport permit to an individual? Is there another legal way to drive it home. Too expensive to ship it back.

Thanks!
Wow, sounds complicated, can't you just ride it home and do the title transfer at your local DMV as long as you have the required paperwork?

See if you can do the transfer before you go, then you can bring a plate, registration an insurance with you. All legal like. I couldn't do this because I needed to get I inspected before they would give me the registration. Good luck. These bikes are worth the bother. :)

Worney

I assume you will have a signed title "in hand" for the trip home. That along with a Bill of Sale and a valid insurance "should" be all you should need. I have bought several vehicles of of state and rode/drove them home without giving it a second thought.

You can only get tag in home state. See if NY will issue a temp plate with a bill of sale contingent on payment. Also your existing auto policy won't cover the bike automatically like when you 1st get another car. If you don't already have a bike policy you will have to get one on the new bike.

You may also want to check and see if NY requires a GA title to be notarized.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey fellow central NYer

Simple fly n drive...

Get the VIN, fax (or call) it in to your Insurance Co. with model/yr etc.

Go to your local DMV with the title (if GA uses) or registration if it states "transferable". You will get your new regi and plate. Have any makeshift receipt ready signed by the past owner for the amount (cough, cough) FYI, you will be paying sales tax on that amount ;) AND if the seller can't fax/mail a bill of sale fast enough? hehe let's just say it's an everyday occurrence at DMV and they don't say doody squat... but make it believable.

=> then hop on that plane and bring back that Feejer to CNY baby!

ENJOY the ride back, you will remember it forever!

Just have a bill of sale with you. And leave the old plates on the bike. when you cross the line into your home state, stop at a licensing outlet and apply for or get the plates. That is what I did buying a bike in Oregon. Perfectly legal? I don't know, but I doubt you would get in any trouble. What do they expect you to do? Stop in every state and buy a temp tag on the ride home?

I used to live in GA. The problem here of course is that in the state of GA, the tag/plate stays with the owner not with the vehicle.

Rather than relying on advice here, and if you have not already done so, I would call the NY DMV/MVA or whatever they call it in NY and ask them for advice on what to do. a call to the GA DMV may be in order also.

If you cannot come up with a workable solution, ask the seller if you can fly and ride with his tag and mail it back to him once you get home. If I were the seller and I knew that you tried in good faith and in vain to find another solution, and you could show me proof of insurance and provide a bill fo sale, I would go for it, especially with the knowlege that the deal hinges on it.

Good luck it will be worth the hassle.