Question for AE Owners

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What you might ask yourself, is there a good reason to spend the extra $$$$ for the AE ? You get the auto clutch and heated grips for a an extra $1500.00 or so. I had an 06AE and found the low speed parking lot handing to be a challange. I ride with other experienced riders and they did not like the AE issues. I totaled the bike after about 16k and I have not been able to ride since. I now have a new 08 sitting at the dealership and it is an AE. I purchased another AE only because I have major issues with my left foot so the AE turns out to be a real blessing for me. However if it were not for these physical issues I would not have purchased another AE. Most riders on this site who own an AE seem to like them. Is just comes back to the question if you do not have a physical issue what advantage is the AE for the extra $$$$ you will spend? In any case you can't go wrong this is my 3rd FJR for the money they are the best sport touring bike on the market. Ride Safe

I can't add a lot to what has already been written. But I will say this...the AE model is not a bike that you can form a good, honest opinion of after only a test ride. For me, I was experiencing a little bit of buyer's remorse after making my purchase of an '07 from a friend at work. For the first couple/few weeks, I was lukewarm to the whole idea. Sure, it was novel, but I was worried the novelty would wear off after awhile. But my fears proved to be groundless. If anything, the bike just keeps getting better. It is different and I find I have to tweak my riding style, but only slightly, to enjoy it to it's fullest...and that is mostly just the slow speed stuff. After about a month, I really came to love the bike and the auto clutch. I guess I'm just trying to caution you from making a decision after only a test ride. If I had simply based my buying decision on a demo ride, I would not have pulled the trigger. But you can file me under the happy AE owner's club. Best of luck with your decision!!

Cheers,

Joe

As I mentioned in a previous post, the local Yamaha dealer is really quite keen to get me into a 2008 AE--for a really, really good price--that was used as a corporate demo model. It has 3600 miles, and they are offering a 2-year, unlimited mileage warranty, including free towing.

The drawback, in my mind, is that it is an AE model, and I'm a bit superstitious about the automatic clutch feature. It seems like a neat deal, but how it works at low speeds concerns me. That seems to be borne out be some reviews I've read. I'm curious how the AE owners responds to some of the statements in the reviews that indicate low-speed operation with the automatic clutch is a bit tricky.

And:

And:

And:

Reading the above makes it seem to me like the AE requires a rock-steady throttle hand, and carries a bit of danger that, at low rpms, like a parking lot U-turn, dropping off the throttle a lite will cause the clutch to kick in, and deprive you of power in the middle of the turn. In addition, there are complaints of kerkiness, etc., although that may be an artifact of testing 2006 models. And, this stuff all comes from professional motorcycle writers, all of whom usually have strange, built-in biases. They may just dislike the YCC-S system, because they are neandethals that prefer what they know: the manual clutch. So they may be making mountains out of molehills.

So, how yould you guys that actually own the AE, instead of driving it for a few hours, respond to these kinds of statements about the AE's low-speed operation?

Is this just not an issue once you get used to the bike's quirks?

What you say the learning curve is for figuring out the low-speed characteristics of the AE?

How much of the jerkiness has been fixed by Yamaha since 2006?

What kind of performance hit, if any, does the AE model take due to the YCC-S system?

Any insight you could give me would be appreciated.
Hi, as most riders of the AE model have the same issue at slow speed "U turns" . I after many years of riding my 2007 AE find with feathering the rear break pedal it's controllable. It's a minor problem as once you've got over how it reacts you accept that it's an issue and adjust to it! All its other plus points by far out weighs the issue, I love running through the gears as I'm accelerating with just a light press of my finger. Also down shifting to a stop without having to find neutral and ready to go as soon as you want as it sits in first gear just awaiting throttle response. A great bike to own even with its little quirks!

Last edited:
As I mentioned in a previous post, the local Yamaha dealer is really quite keen to get me into a 2008 AE--for a really, really good price--that was used as a corporate demo model. It has 3600 miles, and they are offering a 2-year, unlimited mileage warranty, including free towing.

The drawback, in my mind, is that it is an AE model, and I'm a bit superstitious about the automatic clutch feature. It seems like a neat deal, but how it works at low speeds concerns me. That seems to be borne out be some reviews I've read. I'm curious how the AE owners responds to some of the statements in the reviews that indicate low-speed operation with the automatic clutch is a bit tricky.

And:

And:

And:

Reading the above makes it seem to me like the AE requires a rock-steady throttle hand, and carries a bit of danger that, at low rpms, like a parking lot U-turn, dropping off the throttle a lite will cause the clutch to kick in, and deprive you of power in the middle of the turn. In addition, there are complaints of kerkiness, etc., although that may be an artifact of testing 2006 models. And, this stuff all comes from professional motorcycle writers, all of whom usually have strange, built-in biases. They may just dislike the YCC-S system, because they are neandethals that prefer what they know: the manual clutch. So they may be making mountains out of molehills.

So, how yould you guys that actually own the AE, instead of driving it for a few hours, respond to these kinds of statements about the AE's low-speed operation?

What you say the learning curve is for figuring out the low-speed characteristics of the AE?

What kind of performance hit, if any, does the AE model take due to the YCC-S system?

Actually leaving it in 2nd gear helps a great dea

And:

And:

And:

Performance: took mine to the drag strip a few times. Computer is faster than your clutch fingers! Low speed: you're working yourself up too much. At ultra low speed, just create drag with brake pedal and use the throttle. Not much different. Best benefit: stopping at a toll booth to get change out of a pocket is zero problem! Stop n Go. Plus the Granite Gray for an 08 is eye catching.

And:

And:

And:

Honest question from someone who has never driven a DCT / CVT bike (if mopeds/scooters don't count):

Why would it matter whether the bike has a traditional clutch or basically what I would perceive as Yamaha's version of a DCT? Slow speed anything is done with RPMs high feathering the clutch and dragging the rear. What would be the difference? During the aforementioned you'd still be RPM high and dragging the rear; I'd think the fact that you don't have a clutch to worry about feathering would be a bonus. Mopeds and scooters, while a hell of a lot smaller and lighter, fundamentals and the laws of physics don't change.
No?
If no, why am I incorrect?
That said, if you're going to get a smoking deal and you like the Yamaha... Buy it. I'm pretty sure you'll get used to it. If you decide you hate it, sell it and get something that makes you happy.

You need not worry about low speeds on the AE. I had a 2006 and it handled low speed turns and all the MSF courses threw at me with ease. I did my Experienced riders course on Camp Pendelton and the instructor knew my bike when I first rode onto the course. He asked how I was handling the low speed stuff where clutch and gas were needed. I told him I just needed to work the brakes and gas a little differently. That bike did all that course, slow speed and manuevers with ease. I miss my AE, sadly, they stopped making them.

I wouldn't hesitate to grab that deal. The AE is the way to go. The paddle shifters are addictive and I NEVER use the foot shifter. There are no performance penalties.
It does take a small learning curve to get used to slow speed maneuvering - especially on uneven terrain. But I routinely perform slow-speed u-turns in my yard on grass and it's fine. You'll get the hang of it quickly.

Holy old thread resurrection Batman! This thread was last touched 16 years ago and the OP hasn't been to the forum for 14 years.

I'm pretty sure the OP has made their decision since then. ;)
Damn, I usaually read further up the thread. Got sucked into that one for sure. Thank's Ignacio.

You need not worry about low speeds on the AE. I had a 2006 and it handled low speed turns and all the MSF courses threw at me with ease. I did my Experienced riders course on Camp Pendelton and the instructor knew my bike when I first rode onto the course. He asked how I was handling the low speed stuff where clutch and gas were needed. I told him I just needed to work the brakes and gas a little differently. That bike did all that course, slow speed and manuevers with ease. I miss my AE, sadly, they stopped making them.
Actually, you can still get them across the pond. Apparently we didn't buy enough of them so they quit sending us any. I love mine and will not give it up for a newer version with cruise control. I've been eying something with DCT.