Question for you Throttlemeister Maestros/Maestras

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzyRider

esolc oot m'I siht dear nac uoy fI
Reaction score
Quick question for those of you that use a Throttlemeister - I was wondering how easy the throttle locking is to engage/disengage once you get used to them? I love the way they look, I love the fact that the heavier ones might reduce vibrations a little (although that's not really a big problem on the FJR) but I am concerned that it's not as easy to operate as a Vista Cruise or other throttle lock where you hold onto the grip with your fingers and flip a lever with your thumb. The Throttlemeisters have seemed to me like they would be difficult to get locked without moving your throttle hand a little and thus changing the amount of throttle/speed. Tell me you get used to it - it's an aquired skill and after a couple weeks of use you get to the point where your throttle position does not change at all and I'll be more than happy to order some for myself. :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for your experience with these - and yeah, I did a search but couldn't find specific references to the use of the Throttlemeisters, just their install or ordering. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a VistaCruise on the old FJ and put the TM on the FJR. For the TM, when I want to set it, I kinda have to slide/walk my throttle hand over to the edge, and once there, I lock the TM in position with the palm of my hand. Turning it off is the same. I hold throttle with thumb and use your palm to roll TM off.

I often set the TM so it's a bit loose when on and can easily adjust speed by just moving throttle as required. Sometimes I even forget to roll off the TM in this loose setting, when I resume riding and several miles later wonder why the throttle is a bit stiff...

I had a VistaCruise on the old FJ and put the TM on the FJR. For the TM, when I want to set it, I kinda have to slide/walk my throttle hand over to the edge, and once there, I lock the TM in position with the palm of my hand. Turning it off is the same. I hold throttle with thumb and use your palm to roll TM off.
I often set the TM so it's a bit loose when on and can easily adjust speed by just moving throttle as required. Sometimes I even forget to roll off the TM in this loose setting, when I resume riding and several miles later wonder why the throttle is a bit stiff...
Thanks Pierre, you reply gives me hope that you can set/release the TM without changing the throttle position...you just need the proper technique! :)

Thanks Pierre, you reply gives me hope that you can set/release the TM without changing the throttle position...you just need the proper technique! :)

Pierre gave a very good description. I have had my TM on for about 2500 highway miles and I will say that I don't use it nearly as much as I used my BreakAway throttle lock (same concept as VistaCruise)(was on different bike). I would say reduction in vibration with TM was not noticeable for me. I would say a Vista is easier to use and no learning curve, but now that I have the TM on the bike I am too lazy to take it off and get a VC, as the TM does work but there will be a little throttle movement while setting it. Haven't tried to use it with heavy gloves though but am guessing it would be more difficult.

Overall: I think a Vista would suit me better, you interested in a slightly used TM? I have a 2007 FJR1300A. Have heavy, polished TM.

Have a good one

Pierre gave a very good description. I have had my TM on for about 2500 highway miles and I will say that I don't use it nearly as much as I used my BreakAway throttle lock (same concept as VistaCruise)(was on different bike). I would say reduction in vibration with TM was not noticeable for me. I would say a Vista is easier to use and no learning curve, but now that I have the TM on the bike I am too lazy to take it off and get a VC, as the TM does work but there will be a little throttle movement while setting it. Haven't tried to use it with heavy gloves though but am guessing it would be more difficult.
Overall: I think a Vista would suit me better, you interested in a slightly used TM? I have a 2007 FJR1300A. Have heavy, polished TM.

Have a good one
I sent you a PM regarding the TM. I think that it might be a little bit of a pain to use but I'm betting that with repeated use I'll get "the touch". And I think they look very nice, especially compared to the Vista but that's just my humble opinion.

Fuzzy,

I've used both, and am strongly in the VC camp... you can easily (with just a flick of the thumb) engage it and disengage it, without changing speed one iota.

not so with the TM. (and I agree, they **are** beautiful, well constructed, could help with vibration, etc etc).

safety is more important. I refuse to "always leave partially engaged" or "reach over with the left hand" or any such nonsense.

with the VC, flick it on for a quick wrist break, flip off the dumb cager, flick it off. done. Not so with the TM, not even close. With a TM you'd still be struggling to get it engaged at the right speed without hitting the car in front of you or being rammed by the car behind you... and yer paying 100 bucks more...

I know, all the TM owners are gonna hate this post, but it's true!

Regards,

I've had them on two bikes. I don't use the one on my FJR since I put the AVCC on but left it as a backup. When I use the TM I set it to have just enough tension to hold the throttle and leave it set all the time. That way its still easy to move the throttle but it stays when I pull my hand off.