Quick question... Handlebar * ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No One

Reaction score
In the factory position that that come in, what is the degrees that the bars are set at of 90 center? I'm getting about 67.5* does this look right or is it right? Thanks

Please reconfigure you'r question so it makes some sense,.... 67.5 degrees ?....... I think the coils get hotter than that if left on.

Oh shit..... Odot made me say that.

-Don

In the factory position that that come in, what is the degrees that the bars are set at of 90 center? I'm getting about 67.5* does this look right or is it right? Thanks
Not sure what you are asking, but it sounds like you want me to put down my drink, walk into my garage , find my protractor and measure my handle bar angle. Don't think I will oblige there ace, sounds like you already did this for all of us. So, 67.5 huh? now we know what to say if someone else asks.

Contrary to what you read , the handle bar adjustment as delivered does not change the angle of the bars, it only moves them forward or back.

However...If you remove the outer pin locacted on the bottom of each bar, you can in fact swing the bars "out" a bit more or pull them in.

This was my problem with the bike , the angle of the bars had my wrists cocked funny and made them sore..along with the muscle that runs to the elbow.

With some effort trying to remove the said pin, I ended up just cutting it off with my dremel. This allowed me to push the bars out a bit more (increasing the angle between them) and ended my sore wrist problem.

But thanks again for the measurement, may come in handy some day.

KM

The most bizarre question of 2008? No. Should I put water in my tires to get more traction?

NO..... LOL..... I was setting something up on my bars.. I had to make a plate so it stayed in place.. I wanted it placed perpendicular to the center of the bike... The bars are not at 90*... so my question was, at what angle are the bars off center... I figured it out and its very close too the 67.5* off center. I tested it and it was very close....... welcome to my world... LOL

Not sure what you are asking, but it sounds like you want me to put down my drink, walk into my garage , find my protractor and measure my handle bar angle. Don't think I will oblige there ace, sounds like you already did this for all of us. So, 67.5 huh? now we know what to say if someone else asks.

Contrary to what you read , the handle bar adjustment as delivered does not change the angle of the bars, it only moves them forward or back.

However...If you remove the outer pin locacted on the bottom of each bar, you can in fact swing the bars "out" a bit more or pull them in.

This was my problem with the bike , the angle of the bars had my wrists cocked funny and made them sore..along with the muscle that runs to the elbow.

With some effort trying to remove the said pin, I ended up just cutting it off with my dremel. This allowed me to push the bars out a bit more (increasing the angle between them) and ended my sore wrist problem.

O' sure..... I was mistaken on the pin inside there.. thanks for clairifing that.... I was working on a new project today and I wanted my new part to run perpendicular to the center line of the bike, mounted to my bars.. so I wanted that angle.... the 67.5 is very close with my tools and math skillz but its probably not dead nutz but really close....

You might have to show us what you did to your bars.. I have the same issue.... Thanks again !

But thanks again for the measurement, may come in handy some day.

KM

Please reconfigure you'r question so it makes some sense,.... 67.5 degrees ?....... I think the coils get hotter than that if left on.
Oh shit..... Odot made me say that.

-Don

LOL............. Odot has come to the shop before and that is one bad ass Mo Fo !!! LOL That dude needs to stop working out so much... Looks like Arnold !

<snip>However...If you remove the outer pin locacted on the bottom of each bar, you can in fact swing the bars "out" a bit more or pull them in.

<snip>
KM,

Any issues with the bars slipping out of position with the outside pin missing?

[KM,Any issues with the bars slipping out of position with the outside pin missing?

Well,, nothing has moved yet...and this includes dropping the bike in the garage and have it land on the left bar-end weight.

You still have two bolts and one pin..this forms a triangle and as we all know, triangles are pretty strong.

This has been done by several folks here I believe with no reported problems. There is a write up on it here:

https://chornbe.com/motorcycles/fjr/handlebarpins/

KM

LOL............. Odot has come to the shop before and that is one bad ass Mo Fo !!! LOL That dude needs to stop working out so much... Looks like Arnold !
Yeah, I otter ease up on the foosball a bit.

edit:....can't you find that in the specs somewheres?

Last edited by a moderator:
[KM,Any issues with the bars slipping out of position with the outside pin missing?

Well,, nothing has moved yet...and this includes dropping the bike in the garage and have it land on the left bar-end weight.

You still have two bolts and one pin..this forms a triangle and as we all know, triangles are pretty strong.

This has been done by several folks here I believe with no reported problems. There is a write up on it here:

https://chornbe.com/motorcycles/fjr/handlebarpins/

KM
OK, so I run to the garage and pop the left bar off and with a channel lock get the outside pin of in about a minute. Piece of cake, should have the whole thing done and back together in about 10 minutes.

Right bar off, channel locks on, and nothing gives. Work on it for 30 minutes and finally take the whole bar assembly apart so I can take it to the work bench. Took another 30 minutes but it's finally out. Whew!

I usually keep the bars in the forward position but now it's back to the middle but with a much better angle(back to the original topic... kinda).

Thanks.