R-1 shift arm

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NSrider

Reaction score
What is the difference in length between the R-1 shift afr and the stock FJR shift arm. I know some have switched to the R-1 shift are for a more crisp shift but after looking at my buddies R-1 (didn't have anything to measure with at the time) there does not appear to be that much of a difference in length.

There isn't-but you would be surprised how much of a difference that little bit makes.

That's a good question. That R-1 swap is a favorite of the FZ-1 guys. I don't seem to have a prob with either bike so I won't be getting one, but maybe someone has a photo?

Oh for shitsakes! We done re-hashed this just two weeks ago...

Nope I ain't even gonna help by suggesting a search..

:jester:

As close as I can measure the spacing between the center of the holes on the FJR arm is 36 mm..On the R1 arm it is 31mm- not much but it makes a noticeable diff. You wouldn't want to go to short as shifting effort increases as the lever gets shorter. I'm not sure that there is enough "meat" on the arm to drill and tap as both arms have a boss for the bolt.?

Oh for shitsakes! We done re-hashed this just two weeks ago...
Nope I ain't even gonna help by suggesting a search..

:jester:
Someone wants to talk to you.....

10232632291.jpg

after reading about this mod here I ordered the R1 shift arm and installed it this week. It made a nice positive difference on my 08 in everyday normal use. The surprise was that it also made a positive difference in how my dynojet quickshifter works. The shifts are faster and more positive using the quickshifter at 9000 RPM full throttle shifts now. Before any of you techies point out that dynojet does not list a quickshifter option for any year FJR (true statement), I made mine up using the dynojet sensor and the available individual linkage pieces from dynojet. :yahoo:

So what does the R1 shift arm run $$?
Cost about $32 for me from Part Shark. I had already placed an order with them for some other maintenance parts but that order was delayed, so when I ordered this I called them and asked to combine shipping with the previous order (same shipping price).

Installed this last night, going to test ride today to see how I like it :)

So what does the R1 shift arm run $$?
Cost about $32 for me from Part Shark. I had already placed an order with them for some other maintenance parts but that order was delayed, so when I ordered this I called them and asked to combine shipping with the previous order (same shipping price).

Installed this last night, going to test ride today to see how I like it :)
Thanks!