R1150GS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron strand

Reaction score
Driving around today and saw a Bmw R1150GS along the road with a for sale sign on it and went in to investigate. It was an 01 with 20,000 miles on it that looked like new. An older gentleman was selling due to not riding anymore. He bought it brand new at the Sturgis, SD dealer and thought the rally in the Black Hills would be a good time to sell it. He had it priced at 500 under book value at $3700 so I wrote him a check after riding it and checking for slop in the FD(none). First time on a GS and I must say I was impressed with it as I got a chance to take it down a fire trail and was amazed at how it rode in the semi-rough stuff. When I got back on the FJR to leave he had tears in his eyes. That time is coming for all of us I suppose so let's all enjoy it while we still can.

I had an 04 1150GS. They are great bikes! The final drive issue is a bit overplayed by the internet. My biggest issue with the GS was buffeting. I still miss mine and wish I still had it. Handled much better than the FJR and the suspension will soak up even the knarliest roads. The boxxer is a breeze to maintain and is a pure walk in teh park compared to the FJR. 04 is the desired year becasue of dual spark, but an 01 can get pretty good with a throttle body synch and better plugs. At 20k its just getting broken in. Enjoy the new bike, post some pics if you can. Sounds like an awesome deal.