• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Race Tech Suspension Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
damn you Jeff... :rolleyes:

<let's see, kids college education, race tech...prom dresses and shoes, race tech> :blink:

double damn you, Jeff :unsure:

<how to pull this off without losing half my stuff???> :dribble:

After celebrating Mr. Ashe's 50th Birthday this last weekend I was able to see his suspension working, up close and personal so to speak. While at the age of 69 I'm not the quickest rider around, I have to say that Jeff pretty much rode off and left me when he was 2-up so it must work. Of course he's on an '07 and I'm on a lowly '03, so that may have had something to do with it, but who knows? It looks like pretty good stuff to me!

jim

OK, you got my attention!But I really have no idea what I want or need in fork/shock upgrades, I just know I need them. I'd like to add riding 2 up, 3 bags, AND a trailer to Jeff's range of variations. (Although it looks like only solo for now! :( )

So, how does one determine what springs one should use?

I was thinking I'd give GP a shot at hooking me up but this sounds like an offer too good to pass up.

:unsure:
RaceTech will figure things like spring rate and valving for you. You just need to tell them exactly how much you weigh and what your typical riding conditions and habits are.

One of the key features available with RaceTech's rear shock, is Remote Hydraulic Preload Adjustment. It's an extra cost, but a feature that allows you to increase/decrease the spring preload for varying conditions. Ohlins has the same feature available, but at a much higher final cost. Penske does not offer remote preload at all.

Remote Preload Adjust and the difficulty/price of getting it in Ohlins, is why I pursued working with RaceTech on the FJR package. I'm one of those riders who goes from unloaded solo, to fully-loaded/two-up/top-bag Beverly Hillbillies pickup truck conditions, with a passenger who will ride just as damn hard as I want to go. It's the stuff suspension nightmares are made of, and my RaceTech setup has met the challenge.

Last edited by a moderator:
10% off any G3-S FJR Shock option & free ground shipping USA lower 48 & USPS as noted above. There is typically a 2-3 week build time on G3-S shocks because each one is a custom built product.There are two(2) shock options, one with remote Rebound and one with remote Rebound and remote hydraulic Preload. [/color]
I'm not very smart when it comes to this suspension stuff. I understand the high-level options, but I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend the extra $$ for the Preload.

I've started here LINKY (hopefully that works). I wanted to read more about both, but the pages can't be found. I'm interested in the remote reservoir, but I don't know if i really need the Ride Height adjust or the hydraulic preload. did I just waste a post when I should just call them (waiting for them to open right now)

Also, and this is more for RenoJohn or HaulinAshe if they haven't glossed over this post...i'm guessing that some repair is necessary after 30,000 miles or are these more or less set with minimal maintenance for the lifetime of the bike/rider/parts?

EDIT: holy carp...there's an RT authorized dealer in my backyard. i never would have guessed...

We've got an authorized Race Tech dealer up in Glen Burnie, MD, MRP Motorsports. Does this deal work with their authorized shops?

We've got an authorized Race Tech dealer up in Glen Burnie, MD, MRP Motorsports. Does this deal work with their authorized shops?
I think you'll still want to call RT directly and find out. My guess is no.

I was more curious when I saw the dealer info page and at first glance it looked like there was a local shop.

I'm thinking of finding out if I can purchase the parts from CA and either bring them locally with a ride in or have them shipped to the local dealer.

Whatever their usual labor charge would certainly be acceptable.

Course, I haven't checked with my independent who replaced my shock with another low mileage stock one and pulled the forks to flush and replace springs.

I'm not very smart when it comes to this suspension stuff. I understand the high-level options, but I'm trying to decide if I really want to spend the extra $$ for the Preload.
Let me see if I can help you...

Q. Do you frequently ride two-up?

Q. When you are riding two-up, does your passenger permit aggressive riding or do you automatically throttle back?

If you are primarily a solo rider who's total "payload" doesn't swing more than 100 lbs. either way, then NO, I don't recommend you spend the extra bucks for remote preload.

However, if you frequently switch from unloaded solo to fully-loaded two-up and keep right on twisting the right wrist, then YES, you should spend the bucks for remote preload so that you can maintain close to the same suspension behavior under those widely varying conditions.

Well, I just pulled the trigger on all of the front end components (gold valve kit and springs) and just a spring for the rear shock today... I just couldn't swing the cost of the full custom rear shock right now as much as I'd like to... Hopefully the rebuilt front end and a properly sprung stock rear shock will make a significant difference for me... RaceTech was really friendly and helpful when discussing all of the options available and what the proper spring rates are for my weight, frequency of doubling, and carrying significant luggage... The best news of all is they indicated everything I need was in stock and should ship out today! Now I'm a little nervous at tackling the fork rebuild myself but given the instructions and wonderful information I've found on this forum, I haven't seen anything I shouldn't be able to tackle... It should make for a fun weekend project!

Now I just have to be patient and wait for it all to get here while dreaming of how different my FJR will be by the end of this process... :yahoo:

Maybe next year I'll have the funds to go ahead and spring for the custom G3-S with all the options... :dribble: .

Thanks so much HaulinAshe for setting this up and by doing so giving me enough motivation to make these changes hopefully all for the better!

Once I get everything in and get all of the work done, I'll post back with my feelings on the changes...

Just an FYI. I talked to Race Tech today. They can't say if any of their authorized shops would give the group discount on their labor, but they are willing to ship the parts to them.

I think when I do this (hopefully next month) I'll pull the forks and ship them out. Really helpful folks at Race Tech.

Oh, they use OEM seals and bushings. Probably goes without saying, but I asked.

I have not seen the instructions currently being shipped with the Gold Valve kit for FJR. If there are NOT some FJR specific instructions included, please let me know and I will post something. I have some fairly specific notes, including measurements and working tips for installing on the FJR fork cartridges.

Let me see if I can help you...

Q. Do you frequently ride two-up?

Q. When you are riding two-up, does your passenger permit aggressive riding or do you automatically throttle back?

If you are primarily a solo rider who's total "payload" doesn't swing more than 100 lbs. either way, then NO, I don't recommend you spend the extra bucks for remote preload.

However, if you frequently switch from unloaded solo to fully-loaded two-up and keep right on twisting the right wrist, then YES, you should spend the bucks for remote preload so that you can maintain close to the same suspension behavior under those widely varying conditions.
Perfectly explained. Thanks!

I'm all in!

Well.... Really just half in. I dropped my forks off this morning at Race Tech. I already have a Wilbers, so no need for more $$ spent.

I hope to have it all back together next weekend. We'll see. I'll keep you posted on my other post (punny eh).

I have decided to go all in, since my suspension is weakening (or I am starting to feel its weaknesses) after a year. PM sent to Ashe. I'm going to go with the remote preload and reservoir for the rear. It's only money.

Great group buy - I'm also in. Thanks, Jeff, for all the work and time put in to set this up. PM sent.

KW

Status
Not open for further replies.