Radiator Fan not switching on...leading to overheating

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Learn something? Those two would be arguing about which way current flows the whole time....
Ya, those sneaky electrons. While everyone is distracted by the red meter lead the electrons are industriously flowing from the negative pole to the positive pole in the reverse direction from which the meter reads :blink:

Sign me up for that seminar asap...you can't pay enough money for that kinda knowledge. :lol:

Learn something? Those two would be arguing about which way current flows the whole time....
Ya, those sneaky electrons. While everyone is distracted by the red meter lead the electrons are industriously flowing from the negative pole to the positive pole in the reverse direction from which the meter reads :blink:
Sign me up for that seminar asap...you can't pay enough money for that kinda knowledge. :lol:
Wheatie, come to NERDS '13. I'm sure there will be a redux of the tech day on Wednesday (Ed's a glutton for punishment). Plus, in the past two years we have threatened to offer some techie sit-down sessions in the hotel should any day be too nasty for a long ride. Throughout the entire history of NERDS (two years) there hasn't been a bad day. We figure that techie session is scaring the rain away. Either way, you are guaranteed a good time.

Now... at the risk of making Odot look like he knows something, and definitely in the category of stuff you really do not need to know: The true direction of current flow has always been a controversial subject. While I too subscribe to the "electron flow" theory, which is what ionbeam just described above, from the negative (electron rich) side of the voltage source to the positive (electron deficient) side, there is an alternate theory called "hole flow" which would be where you are tracking the atoms that have an absence of electrons.

The problem I have with that theory is that neither the hole nor the deficient atom actually move anywhere. It's the electron that skips from one deficient atom to the next and makes the appearance that the hole is moving.

So there you have it. "Current" can flow in either direction, depending on your bent. But Professor 'beam and I will probably always agree on electron flow as the true current.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the fan doesn't come on when it is suppose to, yes, it can over heat. If you can hot wire the fan and get it to run then it is either the temp sensor or the relay.

When my fan didn't come on when it was suppose to, it overheated and push a fair bit of coolant out on to the ground. To get me back up and running (far from home) we ran wires from the battery through a switch to the fan. I kept an eye on the temp and manually turned on the fan.

As it turned out there was a broken wire so the relay was not getting any power to trip it and turn the fan on. I now, still have the switch in place in case of.

Actually in Quantum Physics the Duality Theory states an electron can be in two places at the same time. Now that is a trick that is really sneaky.

Ya, those sneaky electrons. While everyone is distracted by the red meter lead the electrons are industriously flowing from the negative pole to the positive pole in the reverse direction from which the meter reads
...definitely in the category of stuff you really do not need to know:...I too subscribe to the "electron flow" theory, which is what ionbeam just described...Professor 'beam and I will probably always agree on electron flow as the true current.
[motorcycle content plummets to near zero]

Indeedie. I was talking about electron flow theory. There are a few things that cause new electronic techs to have a mental train wreck and at the top of the list are electron flow theory and grounding. The ionbeam implanters that we designed were all about making "holes" and electron paths in silicon wafers as the foundation for computer and memory chips to be built on.

Did ya ever notice -- how radiator fans deteriorated into quantum physics and electron flow theory whereas most threads die of sheep, balls, manatees and butt hole surfing? :lol:

Actually in Quantum Physics the Duality Theory states an electron can be in two places at the same time. Now that is a trick that is really sneaky.
They call those electrons Petey. :assassin:
I'll be damned. Ninja electrons. Or, should they be called, Chuck Norris Electrons... Peteytrons kinda covers all the bases, though.

This thread is blowing my mind.

Blows my mind that when the radiator overheats, all them electrons get wasted by being dumped on the ground. Makes sense to try to catch some of them electrons with a bucket er sumpin......jes sayin'

Someday....I want to attend a one day FJR electrical troubleshooting seminar hosted by Fred and Alan. I would hope that I would learn something...I KNOW I would be entertained. :lol:
You go ahead. I am not doing it. I thought I was fairly smart until I started dealing with those two. I don't really mind getting outsmarted every once in a while but I am not sure my pride could take an all day dose. :dribble:

Well, then, fish.....your match is met with carver and fredW......or is it ion and skooter?.....damnit.....

someone shake my beer........

Someday....I want to attend a one day FJR electrical troubleshooting seminar hosted by Fred and Alan. I would hope that I would learn something...I KNOW I would be entertained. :lol:
You go ahead. I am not doing it. I thought I was fairly smart until I started dealing with those two. I don't really mind getting outsmarted every once in a while but I am not sure my pride could take an all day dose. :dribble:
Well, since I have absolutely no EE knowledge at all, I have no ego invested in it at all. If I had the vacation time...I would attend NERDS just for that, besides all the fun, frivolity, and riding dirt roads.