RAM-B-342U on an FJR? (or RAM-B-176U)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rheal

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have an 09 FJR1300AE and a new to me ZUMO 550 GPS. Naturally, I will want to mount this thing come spring. I do not like the Clutch reservoir mounting position and much prefer a central position such as on the STEM,

• The TECMount solution seems kind of permanent. I'd rather not have that hardware there all the time. So for me, this is a No Go!
  • Winpro's RAMBone is an option. But I'd like adjustability if possible. Also ... having that ROD there all the time bugs me just a little bit!
  • The RAM mount STEM Nut mounting option looks fine (RAM-B-342U or RAM-B-176U that contains B-342U). But there are no FJR specific instructions that I know of.
Is this a good solution for the FJR?

If so, it looks like I will need to drill out my existing STEM nut right? If Yes, what diameter drill?

Anyone who is using this solution is invited to enlighten me!

Many Thanks and a Happy New Year to all!

Rheal

You will find that with a Ram bone and the Zumo mounted on the longer RAM arm (RAM-B-201) You will get a good amount of adjustability, and the GPS will not bounce around. I tried the same setup on the original short arm, and the middle size one, and it didn't put the GPS screen up high enough for my tastes.

With the arm and cradle removed the RamBone is fairly unnoticeable. But if it really bothered you you could just remove the two tank bolts (recomend you replace them with better quality hardware) and pull off the 'Bone. Personally, I never ride my bike without the GPS mounted on it. Even when I'm not using it to navigate I like having the the ability to view the map, and also to listed to the MP3s, and have the cell phone paired. So, my GPS mount never gets removed.

PS - I had a stem nut with threaded Ram ball and did not like it as much as the RamBone. YMMV

PPS - The stock stem nut isn't thick enough to get enough threads into. You'd need to buy one of the aftermarket step nuts that are made thicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the stem-nut with the RamBall attached to the top of it. I run the short Ram arm (3" I think) and then my Zumo660 mounts on top of that with its RamBall. It is not as high as the longer arms, obviously, but I like it out of the way and not on a huge long arm. However, with the location of the ball, if I wanted more height, all I'd have to do is get a longer arm.

Since putting the Zumo mount on the bike, the mount has not come off. When I was using a different GPS that was only in a cradle, if I took the Ram stuff off and just the ball was there, it did not look bad, and did not interfere with anything.

There's lots of ways to go, and you'll hear lots of opinions, so look around to see what suits you.

Motorcycle Larry has the stem nut with the threadded hole. it comes with a threadded allen plug to keep the dirt out if you take the ball out.

P.

I second the Motorcycle Larry setup. I bought the stem nut with the ram ball that screws into it. It is perfect for me with the short 3" or so arm. It lies just below the handle bars and out of the way of reaching the key.

Good luck...

A big thank you to all who shared their experiences and opinions. I am going to order the MotorcycleLarry setup. That seems to me to be a nice clean configuration.

Be well friends!

Rheal

I also just ordered the MCL nut/RAM ball setup. My plan for completing the install was to order the RAM mounting kit (010-10962-00) and Motorcycle mount with integrated power cable (010-11270-03) directly from Garmin (see links below). This will allow me to switch the Zumo 660 unit back and forth between the FJR and the integrated fairing mount of my CVO. Should have it together by mid next week if anyone needs pictures.