ran it out

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR'SFJR

Reaction score
I was surprised how long the FJR ran on reserve(66 miles) and wished I had done this much sooner. I think this has been discussed some, but might be helpful. During the last 30 years of LD riding, I have always tested when bikes might run out of gas, except the FJR. Previous bikes have only run about 20-25 miles on reserve.

With the FJR tank getting low, went for a ride with a 1/2 gal. of gas. At the end, the computer indicated 45.5mpg(really 44 on paper). The trip meter started blinking at 214 and ran 66 miles on the trip(280) before we were done going down the road. Still idled fine. Poured in the 1/2 gal., traveled 7 miles to a station and it took 6 gals., so the FJR pumps out almost all of the 6 1/2 gals.!!! My older K bikes always left well over a half gal. that the pump can't reach.

Man, 45 mpg?

How slow are you? :p

I average 33-38.
Watchou burning in the beast? Olive Oil?

40 around town or ripping around on the highway, 45 typically on the highway, 50 in the Rockies during NAFO, 35 if I keep it at 6-7 grand for the whole tank.

No Power Commander. Best midwest cornfed gas available.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get anywhere from 23.5 to 52+. Why am I not getting more consistent mileage? Different headwind, ethanol mix, right hand position, windshield choice, elevation, 5th wheel towing and all the other variables shouldn't make that kind of difference! There needs to be an investigation by NHTSA immediately!

Last edited by a moderator:
Going across the prairies at 90mph+ into a stiff head wind was the worst mileage I've ever got on my bike, I usually can do about 375km on a tank (about 250 miles), but that tank.. well lets just say it would've been crappy even in miles! I think it was around 200km (about 120 miles!). Pretty bad when you have to stop to fill up ever 2 hours.

That being said, Its the only vehicle of choice for crossing that flat 'n boring.

36k miles + 4250' home elevation + spirited riding = 46.8 avg mpg. And it's all on regular. Now that's entertainment value! ;)

I get anywhere from 23.5 to 52+. Why am I not getting more consistent mileage? Different headwind, ethanol mix, right hand position, windshield choice, elevation, 5th wheel towing and all the other variables shouldn't make that kind of difference! There needs to be an investigation by NHTSA immediately!
Yep. In Colorado and other high elevation areas, the mpg increases significantly. I think I get crappy mpg in the hood cause I know the roads and push harder. On a 'road trip' I throttle back and enjoy a slower pace, probably increasing mpg.
Hell, I've run out of gas and had to push after 210 miles locally.. :huh:

Iggy, I golf with the NHTSA HDIC - want me to mention this? :unsure:

Only 15k of my miles on a bike with 20k total.

My all-time best tank was 42.0 mpg, worst was 34.2.

I'm 6'6, 230 pounds, and I don't bother trying to tuck much, so I move a lot of air.

On the other hand, I've long known that I can get well over 50 miles on reserve.

On August 25th I put in 6.628 gallons in one filling, after riding into the local Texaco under power.

Oh, hell no! I'd much rather you mention the grounding spider thing. Certainly for the community of affected FJR owners, but mostly to settle down certain Canuckians and their mondo font rants.

Thank you in advance.

Ig

This wasn't meant to be about our mpg, but just used as a reference to when the FJR will run out at a certain mileage. It's helpful to me, since I have been fueling too soon. Didn't expect almost all of the 6.5 gals. to be usable and haven't seen a post on this. Hasn't worked that way on previous bikes and airplanes I've flown. I ran this tank out locally, with speed limits at mostly 45-55.

This wasn't meant to be about our mpg, but just used as a reference to when the FJR will run out at a certain mileage. It's helpful to me, since I have been fueling too soon. Didn't expect almost all of the 6.5 gals. to be usable and haven't seen a post on this. Hasn't worked that way on previous bikes and airplanes I've flown. I ran this tank out locally, with speed limits at mostly 45-55.
+1. Good point. I always worry... and fill too early.

And... you do this on Airplanes too!? :eek:

+1. Good point. I always worry... and fill too early.
I've never run mine out, but I know it's pretty consistent @ highway speeds (as in ~8-9 over) @ 40mpg. I usually plan to gas up @ 220 miles on to trip odo knowing that I have some cushion if a station isn't exactly at that point.

I do enjoy good mileage on my FJR,48-52 in this altitude. The downside is a 12 to 15% horsepopwer loss. Oh well it's all relative.

Tried again today to see how deep into the reserve I could get. At only 55 miles into the reserve it was bogging; a little side to side shake and it ran right. I coasted into the Chevron at 57.7 miles into the reserve and pumped 6.636 gallons. I think that's about the limit.

Oh, hell no! I'd much rather you mention the grounding spider thing. Certainly for the community of affected FJR owners, but mostly to settle down certain Canuckians and their mondo font rants.

Thank you in advance.

Ig
LOL - You go Iggie,GO.

When I hit 'reserve' I rezero the MPG Average -

I don't want to know the average of the past 200 miles...

I need to know what's happening now.

..then again, it seems the first 100 miles after a 'reset' are much more optimistic than the second 75 miles..